help with tdz upgrades

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
lmbzillion68
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

help with tdz upgrades

Post by lmbzillion68 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:03 pm

how are to all of you, can any one tell me how to upgrade tdz, where to buy upgrades or better options
thanks

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: help with tdz upgrades

Post by Nitroman77 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:10 pm

You can upgrade to Ceramic bearings (SICs, Bocas, TGs, VXBs)
Smooooth Drag washers
Handle bearings to ceramic
ZPI handle with Cork 4 bearing knobs
ZPI MG spool deep or shallow with SICs in them already
8-)
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

lmbzillion68
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by lmbzillion68 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:37 pm

hey skeeterboy77 you are the man, thanks

backcast
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by backcast » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:15 pm

Or you could just buy a Steez!

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:46 pm

I did and sold it 2 weeks later... ;)
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

Lubina
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Lubina » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:36 am

skeeterboy77 wrote: Handle bearings to ceramic
I have done all the upgrades that you mentioned to my TD-Zs but this one, Is there any advantage ? I thought that high rated bearings were beneficial to the performance of parts that move really fast, above 10,000 RPM, may be I have it wrong.

ChuckE
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by ChuckE » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:45 am

Lubina,
Here's my take on upgrading the handle bearings in the 4 bearing TD-Z handle, and 2 bearing handles in other reels:

- I feel the improvement I've seen in changing TD-Z knob bearings over to ceramic hybrids is probably due to the better tracking offered by a higher quality bearing -- rather than them being ceramic hybrid. (Since I got about the same performance by going to Abec 3 SS as I did with ceramic hybrids.) In this case there was a slight improvement in the feel of the knobs; but I doubt a typical angler would notice much difference unless they spent a lot of time using the reel.

- However, upgrading the knob bearings on a 2 bearing handle (Pixy, Alphas F, etc.) to Abec 3 SS, was more noticeable. In this case, the feel of the knobs was improved and there tended to be a little less play in the knobs.

- I use grease in the handle bearings on those reels I use for continuous retrieves (cranks, spinnerbaits, etc.), and upgraded bearings are less noticeable. On other reels I use for intermittent retrieves (jigs, pop-r's, stickbaits, etc.), I use oiled handle bearings, and the feel of the knobs was somewhat improved.

My conclusions:
- If you want to improve the feel of the knobs in either handle you can use grease in the stock or upgraded bearings. You'll get a buttery feel that will make them feel smoother, and you won't need to lubricate them as often. In addition, if you are a shore fisherman, the grease will tend to keep any debris (sand, foreign material, etc) from getting into the bearing. [Just make sure you periodically wipe off any debris that collects at the base of the knob.]

- If you only want to use oil, upgrading the bearings in a 2 bearing handle will be a little more noticeable than doing the same to a 4 bearing handle. (I think the knobs on a 4 bearing handle already fairly track/feel quite well, given the way the bearings are configured under the knobs.)

- I can't really justify the cost for upgrading 4 bearing handles to ceramic hybrids. I got about the same performance by going with Abec 3 SS bearings in this case, at about 2/3 the cost.

...just my experience.

Chuck
TackleTour
Contributing Editor, Gear Crew Member and Moderator

lmbzillion68
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by lmbzillion68 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:58 am

thats intresting chuck, after all depends on how much money you are willing to pay. any way, are the knobs the most significant parts or drag, bearings?

ChuckE
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by ChuckE » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:35 am

Based on my own personal preferences, I'd upgrade spool bearings, drag and lastly handle knobs, in that order.

Upgraded spool bearings will improve casting performance. Most report that casting will require less effort to achieve the same distance and accuracy improves with upgraded spool bearings. You'll need (1) 3x8x4 and (1) 5x11x4 bearing for the spool. You can search past posts in this section of the forum to identify the various brands. Use the oil that came with your reel, or even consider going to a lighter different oil like Hot Sauce, Yellow Rocket Fuel, etc.

The stock carbon-teflon drag washers can be replaced with Carbontex to improve drag performance. The top end drag will increase slighty, but more importantly, the drag will be more repeatable and will not pulse like the stock drag (especially if it gets wet or contaminated from oil). In addition, the drag will pull smoother. You already have titanium plated metal drag washers in the TD-Z, so no need to upgrade them, just upgrade the carbon-teflon washers. Again, you can page back through the posts in this section of the forum to find more info, or can search on Carbontex.

I'd think about swapping over to a little better grease and oil. The stock lube that comes with a new reel is good for making it through the rest of the season, but you'll eventually need to add more. That may be the time when you want to swap to different lubricants. In the mean time, use the lube that came with your reel, I don't suggest mixing lubricants, instead clean the old out and then swap to the new.

Knobs, new handle, upgraded handle bearings are last on my list. I don't normally do much of any of these mods anymore. Instead, I put Reel Grips over the existing knobs to improve the grip and feel from the reel while cranking.

You can do any of these mods yourself, or you could just send the reel to a reputable shop.

Chuck
TackleTour
Contributing Editor, Gear Crew Member and Moderator

lmbzillion68
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by lmbzillion68 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:21 am

great chuck i will look for it and very well exposed congratulations

tonym
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tonym » Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:11 pm

I just noticed this thread. :roll:
The Zs are sweet right out of the box. Remember, before their discontinuation(not so long ago) they were Daiwas top reel before the Steez. Even by 2007 standards they still have top end components inside and out from the factory.
With that said... One upgrade the Z reels always benefited from is the drag. They were always jumpy right from the start. With a little cleaning and addition of cals grease the stock washers aren't so bad, but to bring out the best use Smoothies.
Here's a list of the upgrades I did to my Z reels in order.
Drag: Smooth drag set #1 Cals grease added.
Bearings: ZPI SiC
Handle: ZPI Carbon fiber w/ Daiwa corks.
These three were done at the same time on mine, but I recommend the drag first if you do them separate.
Last to do is the spool. Not at all necessary on a Z, but man the ZPI Mg spools are cool. 8-) Wonder if I can find a green one. :-k Yeah right.
One thing I recommend since you have the side plate off, and if you confident enough to even get that far, you may as well go all out and clean the factory grease and oil out of the reel and relube with you choice of substance. I love Hot sauce. ;)
BlackRock Custom Fishing Rods.
http://www.brooklynbillstackleshop.com

Lubina
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Lubina » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:24 pm

ChuckE wrote:Lubina,
Here's my take on upgrading the handle bearings in the 4 bearing TD-Z handle, and 2 bearing handles in other reels:
Thanks a lot for the clarification, make sense now