My New Defective Kistler Rod or Typo

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
hotwheels
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

My New Defective Kistler Rod or Typo

Post by hotwheels » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:59 pm

I purchased a 7' H MG TS Jig and Toad rod recently, which was delivered today. I purchased the rod from Simmons Sporting Goods Ebay store, which is a Kistler dealer.

The rod is listed as having the following specifications:

DETAILED SPECIFICATIONS:
Action: Fast
Length: 7'
Power: Heavy
Lure weight: 1/4 - 1 1/2 oz.
Line weight: 14 - 30 lb.
Handle length: 10"
Line guides: 9 plus the tip

http://www.kistlerrods.com/p/KR/c-mt-wo ... JTH70.html

It is a great rod, however, something on my rod did not seem right, as the handle was too long and it was missing some guides.

I measured from the rear handle from the rear of the reel seat to the butt cap. It measured 11" total, not the 10" as listed.

Also, my rod only has 7 guides and the tip guide, for a total of 8 guides. The rod is listed as having 9 guides plus the tip for a total of 10 guides.

Is my rod "defective" or is there a typographical error on your website?

Thank you,

iangler
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: My New Defective Kistler Rod or Typo

Post by iangler » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:05 pm

hotwheels wrote:Is my rod "defective" or is there a typographical error on your website?
Even though I agree that's odd, I think you're asking in the wrong place. Shoot them an email or something.

Reel Old Geezer
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Reel Old Geezer » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:15 pm

Your question roused my curiosity so I went and looked at my Jig & Toad. It has 8 guides plus the tip - Not 7 or 9! It also has an 11" handle. I guess those Chinese rodmakers can't count.

My rod also came from Simmons - about 15 months ago.
Last edited by Reel Old Geezer on Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bass Pro
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass Pro » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:20 pm

I use to own that exact same rod. The handle on mine was 10" but I don't remember how many guides it had.

I guess their quality control is + or - an inch and + or - a guide or two =))))

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:07 pm

hotwheels,

As iAngler suggested, your questions are best asked of Kistler Custom Rods. I suggest you either call or email them with your concerns directly rather than try to sort it out on a public board where no-one can help you come to a resolution.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

GamblerHydra
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GamblerHydra » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:38 pm

Just a thought but are you sure that simmons is not selling seconds? It seems odd that they would let a authorized dealer sale on ebay factory first.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:16 pm

This is just a shot in the dark. But I do recall someone mentioning something. somewhere similar, regarding Kistler rods and Ebay. It was a deal where there were less guides that what were supposed to be on the rods, and some of the lengths were off by an inch or more. I thought it was decided that these rods were returned with damaged tips or something else wrong, fixed by Kistler and then sold at discount.

Don't take what I say as fact..as I've been having more than my share of "senior" moments lately (and flashbacks..hehe).

Perhaps someone else can jump in here and confirm that I'm not totally "whacked out".
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

hotwheels
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hotwheels » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:04 am

I already emailed Simmons and Kistler about my problem and am awaiting a reply.

One other thing I noticed was that the black rubber winding check in front of the reel seat is not glued. When i moved the winding check forward I noticed there is a 2mm to 3mm gap inbetween the blank and the inside edge of the reel seat threads, and that I can wiggle it.

On my APC and other rods, the reel seat and blank fit together snug. Shouldn't this part of the rod be gluded?

For $180 this rod is going back and I am getting a refund. I am going to get a Cumara or have a G Blanks built instead.

HW

hotwheels
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hotwheels » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:09 pm

Ok, I talked to Kistler. They said that the website has a typo for the specs I mentioned. They offered me a full refund or to take the rod back and make it to the "stated specs".

FYI: Simmons did not know about the typo either. Their service was fast, as they actually called Kistler. He too offered me a refund. Also, they do not sell seconds or damaged merchandise. This is the 4th rod I purchased this year from them. I highly reccomend them.

HW

Cpark
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cpark » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:01 pm

I highly recomend Simmons Sporting Goods also. I've spent a small fortune buying Steez rods from them and didn't have a problem one. They were great. Every rod was very well packed, better than I've seen anywhere, and the shipping was really fast. They were a heck of a lot cheaper than any place else I found for the Steez rods. I found them on ebay but got an even better deal by calling them directly. I ordered a 7' med/hvy Steez from them before I'd even read anywhere about them even existing. They will continue to get my business for sure. :D

svslider
Angler
Angler

Post by svslider » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:30 pm

Kistler authorizes 1 guy to sell reconditioned rods on ebay. I bought 1 for a hundred bux and caught a nice king salmon on it this week. Ive caught alot of bass on it too and this rod gives a great feel when fighting fish.
Last edited by svslider on Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DougL58
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by DougL58 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:18 am

I always see Kestler rods that have had broken tips for sale on eb@y. Makes me concerned about durability. Why so many broken tips? I was thinking about a HELIUM LTX II for my TD-Z but I just can not pull the trigger.

tj1004
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by tj1004 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:27 pm

Don't worry, they are durable. Rod tips break all the time, no matter what brand they are. Hell, if it breaks, send it back, they will take care of you. I use Kistlers almost exclusively and the only time I break them is when I'm being careless with them, or have a good beer buzz and turn into Heman.

svslider
Angler
Angler

Post by svslider » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:00 pm

At least fish the rod before you dis them and go buy a different brand.