Suggesttions and Setup for Deep Cranker

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
KyLakeLunker
Angler
Angler

Suggesttions and Setup for Deep Cranker

Post by KyLakeLunker » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:43 am

It sucks we just lost the last two years. There were a lot of good discussions regarding deep crankers. Nonetheless, I am finishing up a finess rx8 xsb 822.5 and am moving on to a deep cranker. Any advice on setup and blank? Also, what are y'all's thoughts on spiral wrapping a cranking rod?
Thanks

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Suggesttions and Setup for Deep Cranker

Post by Tokugawa » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:06 am

Both my cranking rods are spiral wrapped, and I love them.

I currently use a MB 84 1E blank for my deep cranking, although I'll move to a longer blank eventually for dedicated cranks 15' and over.

Setup really depends on what you want the rod to do. For deep cranking that is also a good all around rod, I'd go with a 7' rod with ratings 1/4-1oz. Put a 10" handle on it and spiral wrap micros.

For a dedicated deep cranking rod, I'd go 7'4" to 8' (your choice) with ratings 3/8-1.5 oz and put a handle on it that is sized to go under your armpit. Micros, spiral wrapped and go fishing!

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:15 am

KyLakeLunker wrote:what are y'all's thoughts on spiral wrapping a cranking rod?
Thanks
St. Croix's 70HM (Avid). Or the 710HM (Magnum Cranker - Legend Tournament).

KyLakeLunker wrote:what are y'all's thoughts on spiral wrapping a cranking rod?
I wouldn't own a casting rod that wasn't spiral wrapped.

The heavier the baits, the heavier the fish, the more reason to spiral wrap. The finer the rod tip, the more reason to spiral wrap. There aren't any down sides to spiral wrapping. Only up sides.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

PainInTheBass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PainInTheBass » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:29 am

My only hesitation with converting my factory rods (I have not built customs to replace all of my rods yet) is fear of voiding lifetime warranties. Otherwise, I would have changed my rods to spiral wrapped rods too.

In action, they are very nice, and the benefits are more obvious.
My fishing antics @ paininthebass.blogspot.com

KyLakeLunker
Angler
Angler

Post by KyLakeLunker » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:58 am

What about castaway and seeker blanks? Any pros and cons?

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:22 am

KyLakeLunker wrote:What about castaway and seeker blanks? Any pros and cons?

They both make fine blanks.

You need to find the right blank for your needs. Who makes it is really incidental. Most everyone out there makes a decent blank so the focus should be on finding the blank that suits your needs. So if Castaway and Seeker don't have anything that fits your needs, it really doesn't matter how good, or bad, they are.
Matt Davis

jimmyb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jimmyb » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:53 am

to better define the rod you need for deep cranking you need to better define the type of deep cranking that you are doing.

are you looking for the most depth? what lures?
are you fishing in and ripping thru weeds?
type of line?

With that said, i have 2 deep cranking rods. One is a 4c710hm. Works awesome for what i call "ledge cranking", throwing dd-22's, d-20's ect out in open water on structure. You can cast the lures a mile, shove the tip into the water 2-3' and get the most depth out of the lure. However, has enough backbone to hook up well with #2 hooks and enough give to slow play big fish to the boat with out pulling the hooks out of soft tissue. However, it doesnt work the best for ripping thru weeds.

For fishing a deep crank in weeds, i use a 3c70HM on 10# braid. Has enough power to snap the deep cranks out of weeds and enough power to keep the fish up and out of the weeds after you hook them

KyLakeLunker
Angler
Angler

Post by KyLakeLunker » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:32 am

I need one for deep ledge cranking on ky lake, looking at 20"+, using d22s and whatnot. I also need a rod that has enough umph to rip through grass when the occassion arises. i would prefer 8' length in order to get the max depth possible. I like the powell max 806cb and the kvd tour 7'10" cb rod, so I would prefer a blank that could mimic these two if possible.

jimmyb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jimmyb » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:21 pm

4c710hm would be my choice from the stcroix lineup. Simply switch to 10-20# braid if you need to rip out of weeds and it will be ok. For ledge fishing, i recommend 10-12# fluoro as the braid wont hold up to rocks

Rovic
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Rovic » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:11 pm

Question?
If you are cranking with the tip down in the water and your rod is sprial wrapped are you not in effect having the same as a guides on top rod as the guides are away from the lure causing a torquing effect on the tip? I do not use a sprial wrap on my cranking sticks for this reason and I use micro guides which also helps on the tip torquing.
Rolly
Rovic Custom Rods

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Mattman » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:09 am

Rovic wrote: Question?
If you are cranking with the tip down in the water and your rod is sprial wrapped are you not in effect having the same as a guides on top rod as the guides are away from the lure causing a torquing effect on the tip?
Sure. But torque on the retrieve isn't a concern of mine at all. Its torque from a fish.
Matt Davis

jimmyb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jimmyb » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:56 am

Rovic wrote:Question?
If you are cranking with the tip down in the water and your rod is sprial wrapped are you not in effect having the same as a guides on top rod as the guides are away from the lure causing a torquing effect on the tip? I do not use a sprial wrap on my cranking sticks for this reason and I use micro guides which also helps on the tip torquing.
I am still building some of my crank rods with guides on top, especially if the Guy fights the fish with the rod to the side.. most guys I know fight the crank fish with the tip buried,
so spiral really doesn't help

KyLakeLunker
Angler
Angler

Post by KyLakeLunker » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:36 am

With the way that a deep crank is fished and the fish fought, with the tip down, do you locate the spine with the guides on top like normal, or do you reverse that with a cranking rod?

jimmyb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jimmyb » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:18 am

spine matters more for casting in my book... I spine most of my rods to always bend towards the fish with the rod tip up at 12 oclock, because i almost always cast overhead. The whole spine thing is really overrated in my book.

also, on most "cranking" or popping blanks (small diameter blanks) i find there is usually a minimal felt spine.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Mattman » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:21 am

jimmyb wrote:spine matters more for casting in my book...
Ditto. As well as fine bait presentation.

The force of the fish will out muscle spine in a second. It isn't that powerful of an effect.
Matt Davis