Opinions on Super Lube and Rem Oil

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Opinions on Super Lube and Rem Oil

Post by Finnz922 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:46 am

I am starting to work on reels for other people after they heard how I clean and relubricate my own reels. I am also still learining. Does anyone have any opinions on Super Lube (temp range -45 to 450 F) and Rem oil?

D.R.
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Opinions on Super Lube and Rem Oil

Post by D.R. » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:05 am

Finnz922 wrote:I am starting to work on reels for other people after they heard how I clean and relubricate my own reels. I am also still learining. Does anyone have any opinions on Super Lube (temp range -45 to 450 F) and Rem oil?
I am using Super Lube on all my reel work unless another brand is requested.
I have found it to hold up well. It is light and smooth to apply.

I have not used the Rim oil.

D.R.
Prostaff: Dobyns Rods, Smooth Drag, Tackle Warehouse, Lake Fork Tackle

l2yan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by l2yan » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:01 pm

Super lube is a little thick IMO. I've found it's great for synchronized levelwinds and roller bearings. I've never tried it in spool bearings... just seems that it would slow the spool down a tad much, but I've never tried.

Rem oil, on the other hand, is extremely fast! I used to use it for spool bearings quite a bit. Downsides: you must re-apply more often than most; hard to place just the precise amount needed... I usually put too much (hard to control that thin stuff in their stock bottles) which quickly spun out onto the spool and frame. I also found the bottles usually leak here and there... it was just too messy all around... :lol:
www.BigSmallieTackle.com
www.HeroesOnTheWater.org

D.R.
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by D.R. » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:13 am

l2yan wrote:Super lube is a little thick IMO. I've found it's great for synchronized levelwinds and roller bearings. I've never tried it in spool bearings... just seems that it would slow the spool down a tad much, but I've never tried.

Rem oil, on the other hand, is extremely fast! I used to use it for spool bearings quite a bit. Downsides: you must re-apply more often than most; hard to place just the precise amount needed... I usually put too much (hard to control that thin stuff in their stock bottles) which quickly spun out onto the spool and frame. I also found the bottles usually leak here and there... it was just too messy all around... :lol:
I do not use it for spool bearings. I use it for most of the internal parts and the worm drive.

I use oil for the spool bearings.

D.R,
Prostaff: Dobyns Rods, Smooth Drag, Tackle Warehouse, Lake Fork Tackle

l2yan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by l2yan » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:03 pm

My mistake... I was speaking of the super lube oil, not grease.
www.BigSmallieTackle.com
www.HeroesOnTheWater.org