Shimano Chronarch D vs. Abu Garcia REVO Premier

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Scorpio
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Shimano Chronarch D vs. Abu Garcia REVO Premier

Post by Scorpio » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:26 am

DavidSA wrote:By the way, I tested a tuned D7, E7 and stock premier in my backyard on same rod same line in a casting contest and found the D7 and Premier a dead heat, both were longer then an E7 Tuned. All excellent. If you want max distance casting a Premier leave the internal brakes completely off and external about 50% set (basically make it into a 2008 Premier). If you want to pitch, turn the external completely off and use 2 internal pins. Best of both worlds. I use both internal and external when throwing a buzzbait or chatterbait in wind; this does ruin distance so the E7 is always handy.
I agree with everything said in this post by DavidSA. I too performed the exact same test he did and had (for the most part) the same results (except I did not test a Curado). On average, the Chronarch casted farther than the revo premier by 5-10 feet (I too found that the greatest distance for the Premier came by only using the mag brakes). And I also agree that the Shimano braking system handles windy conditions better. That is why I said in a previous post that I thought the Chronarch was a better caster... albeit only slightly better.

D.R.
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by D.R. » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:24 pm

Cisco wrote:
D.R. wrote:
Cisco wrote:I prefer the Revo over the Chronarch D, due to it's lack of back play. However, I hate the foam knobs.
Put a Daiwa Zillion handle on it. You will not be sorry you did.

D.R.
Is there any way to keep the handle? ie just remove the knobs?
ABU knobs (REVO) are a size of their own.

D.R.
Prostaff: Dobyns Rods, Smooth Drag, Tackle Warehouse, Lake Fork Tackle

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:52 pm

Scorpio wrote:
DavidSA wrote:By the way, I tested a tuned D7, E7 and stock premier in my backyard on same rod same line in a casting contest and found the D7 and Premier a dead heat, both were longer then an E7 Tuned. All excellent. If you want max distance casting a Premier leave the internal brakes completely off and external about 50% set (basically make it into a 2008 Premier). If you want to pitch, turn the external completely off and use 2 internal pins. Best of both worlds. I use both internal and external when throwing a buzzbait or chatterbait in wind; this does ruin distance so the E7 is always handy.
I agree with everything said in this post by DavidSA. I too performed the exact same test he did and had (for the most part) the same results (except I did not test a Curado). On average, the Chronarch casted farther than the revo premier by 5-10 feet
But that's not exactly what he said. He said his tuned D7 was a dead heat for casting distance compared to his stock Premier, not that it cast any further. That's a feather in the Premier's cap, IMO.

Scorpio
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Scorpio » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:29 am

jeb wrote:
Scorpio wrote:
DavidSA wrote:I agree with everything said in this post by DavidSA. I too performed the exact same test he did and had (for the most part) the same results (except I did not test a Curado). On average, the Chronarch casted farther than the revo premier by 5-10 feet
But that's not exactly what he said. He said his tuned D7 was a dead heat for casting distance compared to his stock Premier, not that it cast any further. That's a feather in the Premier's cap, IMO.

The test I ran was with an untuned D7. Either way, the difference is minimal. They are both great reels IMO.

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:44 am

I actually found these reels at a tackle shop not to far from here and held them. Both seem extremely nice. I believe the Chronarch feels alot better in my hand then the REVO does. The only concern I have is the drag on the Shimano. If I happen to catch a 30 lb striper, would the drag fail being it is only 11 lb rated? The Revo has 22 lbs of drag which seems alot more reasonable for the larger species of fish I might encounter while on the water.
stress-what happens between fishing trips

D.R.
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by D.R. » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:00 am

ecu daniel 14 wrote:I actually found these reels at a tackle shop not to far from here and held them. Both seem extremely nice. I believe the Chronarch feels alot better in my hand then the REVO does. The only concern I have is the drag on the Shimano. If I happen to catch a 30 lb striper, would the drag fail being it is only 11 lb rated? The Revo has 22 lbs of drag which seems alot more reasonable for the larger species of fish I might encounter while on the water.
The Chronarch drag would not fail. It just would not be able to hold it unless you had it cranked down so tight that it was locked. A 30 lb stripper would give both reel drag a run for their money.

D.R.
Prostaff: Dobyns Rods, Smooth Drag, Tackle Warehouse, Lake Fork Tackle

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:12 am

I've caught 19 and 15 pound stripers on my Premier's now. Both by accident, fishing for black bass. They handled both easily, FWIW. I never got them close to cranked down tight to fight them. Extremely smooth drag, too. Fun fish to catch on MH rods and 12lb test line.

taylor5877
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by taylor5877 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:26 am

This thread makes me ask one question, has there ever been a more solid reel made than the Citica and Curado D's that have resulted in utter disaster? If that series wasn't such a dud, the Revo might have been another failed low profile experiment for Abu. But they were able to grab a foothold and get a loyal following (me included).

If the E series comes out (and doesn't have sucha a limited gear ratio choice, especially for us lefties) at the same time as the Revo we wouldn't be having this conservation...

jiggerjake
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jiggerjake » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:05 pm

taylor5877 wrote:This thread makes me ask one question, has there ever been a more solid reel made than the Citica and Curado D's that have resulted in utter disaster? If that series wasn't such a dud, the Revo might have been another failed low profile experiment for Abu. But they were able to grab a foothold and get a loyal following (me included).

If the E series comes out (and doesn't have sucha a limited gear ratio choice, especially for us lefties) at the same time as the Revo we wouldn't be having this conservation...
Taylor5877,I talked to a local tackle shop owner about Shimano coming out with a 5.2:1 lefty Curado.His sales rep said Shimano has NO plans for such a reel because there is not enough demand.Looks like us lefty's are shafted again.

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:41 am

taylor5877 wrote:This thread makes me ask one question, has there ever been a more solid reel made than the Citica and Curado D's that have resulted in utter disaster? If that series wasn't such a dud, the Revo might have been another failed low profile experiment for Abu. But they were able to grab a foothold and get a loyal following (me included).

I may not be reading this right, but if you're implying the only reason the 2010 Premier is so popular right now is from mistakes Shimano has made, I'd have to disagree. I think they'd still be doing well on their own merits. It's the best value in the fishing reel world right now, IMO. Especially at the online prices.

taylor5877
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by taylor5877 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:46 am

jeb, I'm with ya, I have 2 of the 2010 Premiers (and 3 of the older Premiers). I was talking more of the Revo series in general.

I'm just saying the Revo (series in general) isn't so popular today if Shimano hadn't "upgraded" their curado/citica lineup to the D(dud) series and had released the E series then.

I think the Revo would still have a cult following instead of the more equal (sorry, but it's true, especially on more "everyman" forums like the texasfishingforum) following to Shimano and Daiwa reels.

When a Shimano Rep won't be quiet about how good the Revo was (at the bassmaster classic expo in shreveport, LA) you know you released a pretty good reel in competition with shimano releases.

stratos20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by stratos20 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:36 am

i have both. I would hate to have to choose just one.
Fish on!

taylor5877
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by taylor5877 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:23 am

And there we have it... By far the best answer by a tter yet!

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:49 am

i agree
stress-what happens between fishing trips

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:14 pm

Phippy wrote:DR points out that the Premier already comes with abec7's.

Is that true just for the 2011 models, or for 2008 Premiers, too?