Any new rod blanks at ICRBE?

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
jimmyb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Any new rod blanks at ICRBE?

Post by jimmyb » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:14 pm

i really think those marks are from the cellophane wrapping. The cellophane is drawn tight into the prepreg before the prepreg is fully set up, giving the exact texture that you are describing.

i had a couple of unsanded blanks around, but i cant seem to find them at the moment.

cuke
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cuke » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:15 am

if you look on the home page of tackletour on the first icast rod review- they show a picture of what the blanks are supposed to look like- looks like it has blue textures.

jimmyb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jimmyb » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:12 am

here's a link
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewise2011.html

they look sanded/finished in the show pictures

I.C.M.A.B.B.
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by I.C.M.A.B.B. » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:42 am

Jimmy;
I’m not going to say emphatically that it’s not because I didn’t ask the designer who was present how they came about the texture.
But if it; it is most definitely different then any cellophane warp I have seen. The un-sanded and partially sanded blanks I have are nothing like this. On the others here the ridges are smooth from ridge to ridge more like high spots. These are very distinct and angled like the teeth on a bastard file edges that could be used to file in one direction, if it were metal.
That is my one BIG concern about this blank that if the line were to rub the blank during casting or while fighting a fish.
These edges are sharp enough to damage the line

I think Vince might be right about them being laser cut into the rod, it could be for structural integrity or like the blanks Cuke referred to; a cosmetic thing to distinguish their blanks from others.

This finish is however different from the ones on the home page no blue and a textured different pattern (not smooth)

jimmyb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jimmyb » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:21 am

grooves would provide no structural integrity.... sharp corners are the bane of mechanical engineers.

it could be cosmetic, but why? doing that groove every 1mm over the length is very time consuming... for a poor result (sharp corners and makes it look like it is a raw blank!). Wrapping threads will be a challenge as well

I still think the texture is the result of whatever they used to wrap the rod during curing. Might not be cellophane that we are used to seeing...

does the diameter vary of the blank? The outside diameter looks very wavy in the pics

regardless of the finish, have you been able to flex and measure the rod power? how does it compare to other "heavy" power rods? The light weight is very impressive, if it does have the rated power

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:32 am

jimmyb wrote: The light weight is very impressive, if it does have the rated power
Exactly.

The listed power rating can be deceiving. There is a popular blank in a Mag Bass taper that gets raves for how light it is. "Lightest Heavy power blank you can buy" When I measured the blank it came out to be 2 powers lighter than what its listed lure rating would indicate. And, in the end, heavier than comparable blanks.

Anxious to hear some results.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

I.C.M.A.B.B.
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by I.C.M.A.B.B. » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:28 am

Jimmy;
Yes and no!
Most of what you are seeing in waviness is a lighting optical allusion.
It is wavy where the extra matrix material was added but not the rest of the blank
The matrix stuff starts at 11-3/4” up from butt and stops at 34-1/2” probably affecting the stripper guide, but not the rest.

I have been looking/studying this under different magnifications to better understand and explain it.
If you have the ability to download to your computer's pictures file and can magnify it many times. Look at the bottom section of the last picture you can see that was appears to be the cut section actually looks like raised seams, as if they are the overlap edges and that the material between seams is concaved.

So here is the kicker
After looking at it magnified many times I’ve also noticed a seam that runs tip to butt like a glue joint, (except for the section where the matrix pattern is, which looks like an over sleeve)I will send you a picture of it to look at and post if you don’t mind.
This whole thing may be some type of cosmetic treatment applied after the blank was made and sanded.
Don’t know, definitely something I’ve never seen on any other blank

If you can magnify the picture I’m sending you? You will definitely see the seam, especially along the left side where it almost looks like it separated a bit during construction

Not run any numbers on it but can tell you the action is real close to my SCV 7’6” MHMF, with a bit more power.
Should be a good pitching rod but not what I would suggest for heavy flipping stick

Vince Borges
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Vince Borges » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:26 pm

for the west coast guys that didn't get to make it to the show in NC, stop by the Phenix booth at the Fred Hall show in Long Beach and say hey. We will have all the rods and blanks there for you to see and handle. See ya there!!
Phenix Rods : Pro Worms : TNT Baits : Blackwater