which g loomis worm rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
STETSON1B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

which g loomis worm rod

Post by STETSON1B » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:52 pm

hello i'm looking to get a g Loomis rod. there is a guy here in oregon who goes by the name of cooks who builds custom rods using a real g Loomis blank and he has just about every model that g Loomis has. and i'm wondering what model should i get i want to throw a weightless Sinko and t-rigs i also don't want it to be underpowered because ill throw into the lilly pads (a little). open to split grips and this is for a bait caster. is the imx or glx series best or ? thanks any help is appreciated. OH sorry forgot to add i want a 7 foot rod as well

ppFishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: which g loomis worm rod

Post by ppFishing » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:56 pm

Either the IMX or GLX 844 should work.

FishBlock
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FishBlock » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:11 pm

i have the bcr 854 and love it for casting or pitch plastics

vArm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vArm » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:14 am

ppFishing wrote:Either the IMX or GLX 844 should work.
X2 the 844 GLX.
MegabassUSA.com

stratos20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by stratos20 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:33 am

i have the BCR and NRX 854. love them both!
Fish on!

BASSLAYER
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BASSLAYER » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:16 am

BCR893GLX
Kenjutsu
(剣術)

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:32 am

I thought G Loomis quit selling their blanks. Did he stock up or is my info incorrect.

loochie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by loochie » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:15 am

I had ryan from cooks of oregon make me a BCR843 IMX about 4 yrs ago. Although his rods are very basic they are pretty much the same as you would get from the loomis factory and a very nice rod for the money. i really can't tell a difference in quality between that and my factory made GLX844 His workmanship is very good and he really stands behind his stuff. You can actually find some of his stuff on ebay but it is under a different user name.

After all that I love my 844 for the techniques you mentioned, especially in lilly pads. If you have the money go with the GLX

bassbandit
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassbandit » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:42 pm

steve1206 wrote:I thought G Loomis quit selling their blanks. Did he stock up or is my info incorrect.
They did. This actually the second thread by the same person on the same subject in the last few days. I don't know who "Cook's" is, but I doubt that G.Loomis is supplying him and no one else. :roll:

STETSON1B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by STETSON1B » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:33 pm

sorry guys i don't know why my post got re threaded but yeah thanks for all the feedback i went and looked at his rods and felt them im probably going to have him make me either a glx 843 or a imx 843 the heavy just felt a little to stiff for my likes

he sells the glx for 260 and the imx for 200

once again sorry for the re-post

BASSLAYER
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BASSLAYER » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:39 pm

better off getting a used GLX, you can usually troll the forsale forum and pick one up for about 230-250 shipped.

As Loochie put it the craftsmanship is on the same level with a factory stick. Unless you are going all out and splurge a la "REDLINEROBERT" with his wicked slant bridge/ glx horny toad rod.

you are better off getting a used GLX and have your builder modify it. Might have to ask Bantam1 if doing that nulls the warranty.

that's my 2 shillings.
Kenjutsu
(剣術)

bassbandit
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassbandit » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:27 pm

BASSLAYER wrote:better off getting a used GLX, you can usually troll the forsale forum and pick one up for about 230-250 shipped.

As Loochie put it the craftsmanship is on the same level with a factory stick. Unless you are going all out and splurge a la "REDLINEROBERT" with his wicked slant bridge/ glx horny toad rod.

you are better off getting a used GLX and have your builder modify it. Might have to ask Bantam1 if doing that nulls the warranty.

that's my 2 shillings.
Modifying a G.Loomis does void the warranty.

vArm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vArm » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:42 pm

bassbandit wrote:
BASSLAYER wrote:better off getting a used GLX, you can usually troll the forsale forum and pick one up for about 230-250 shipped.

that's my 2 shillings.
I talked to Loomis a couple years ago and you can remove the fore grip and split grip the handle without voiding the warranty, as long as you don't damage the blank in the process.
I removed the fore grip of all my GLX rods.
MegabassUSA.com

STETSON1B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by STETSON1B » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:00 pm

my whole goal with this is to catch bass when they take soft baits real gently and i cannot feel them with the rods i have now which are just normal rods i don't have a real sensitive rod to feel the fish for instance when they take a sinko on the drop and i pull up and pull it up out of their mouth because i do not feel the fish good enough. thats my whole goal with getting a loomis rod. imo

bassbandit
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassbandit » Mon May 02, 2011 6:30 am

vArm wrote:
bassbandit wrote:

that's my 2 shillings.
I talked to Loomis a couple years ago and you can remove the fore grip and split grip the handle without voiding the warranty, as long as you don't damage the blank in the process.
I removed the fore grip of all my GLX rods.
Thanks for correcting my error.