Reel designers

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
tj1004
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Reel designers

Post by tj1004 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:57 pm

Unreal....Apparently the entire population here knows more than all the reel companies. You geniuses need to start making your own reels and then you can sell them to each other so you can be happy. Whats wrong with an aluminum framed Caenan? Does it offend you or what? Maybe you guys could wait and see what the TT guys have to say about them before you pass judgement, they are the ones that actually know what they are talking about and make well thought out conclusions about products that they have used and held. Im not saying i love them, i could care less either way. You guys make up such a tiny population of reel buyers, most other people just buy and use reels they like and dont get their feelings hurt about a Chronarch not being what it used to be. Get over it. Buy something else. Every year at icast its the same crap, everyone whines about how some company screwed up......jeeeeeeeeesus.

yogidozer1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Reel designers

Post by yogidozer1 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:13 pm

Did you drink the whole pot of coffee at once??? :D

tj1004
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by tj1004 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:27 pm

No, did you?

yogidozer1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by yogidozer1 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:01 pm

I would have if you left me some :lol:

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:06 pm

You don't find something fishy with upping the price on a Curado and labeling it a Chronarch that some unknowing shopper (who's not a regular on this forum) may think they just got a deal of a life time? That's like taking a Chevette and labeling it the new Corvette and thinking you'll fooled the guy that would actually buy the real thing. Doesn't take TT experts or reel designer to see a wolve in sheeps clothing trying to sell snake oil to the unassuming because it's cheaper to recreate then innovate. Shame on Shimano for such thievery. I feel sorry for the one who spends $200 thinking they are getting last years $300 offering. Thank God they haven't messed with the Core, going to get me a 50, could be a collectors item one day the way Shimano is going. Having said that, probably getting a new rebadged Curado (I mean Chronarch) for the lefty low gear option. At least I know what I'm really paying for and not being fooled by some marketing hype or trickery. BTW, whatever happened to those spy photos of the new Chronarch/Curado? Who really leaked that BS out?

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:08 pm

Im not gonna lie...I feel somewhat targeted by this post :lol:

I went to college for architectural DESIGN, so I do (somewhat) know what I am talking about...i think... Sure architecture and fishing reels are not even close to each other when it comes to engineering...but you have to look at why people are getting upset...people dont like change..you always here "why fix what isnt broken"...same concept goes here...

on another note, obviously you have never used the older chronarch or you would be upset too...plastic and chronarch do not mix well at all...shimano made this change to target the majority of fishermen (weekend warriors and amateur tournament guys) not hardcore tackle enthusiastic crazies found on this website....by making this change the designers at shimano are hoping that the chronarch's great reputation will carry the same weight with the newer cheaper plasticy garbage model (marketing at its finest)...put all that together and paint it the same colors as the ever so popular abu veritas you have a recipe for a few million bucks.

now, does anyone know how to land a reel designer position? :big grin:
stress-what happens between fishing trips

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:14 pm

ecu daniel 14 wrote:
now, does anyone know how to land a reel designer position? :big grin:
I think you just need to know how to paint a lower tier product a new color and use an upper tier's name. I'm applying now. :laugh1:

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:17 pm

sweet, business idea

walmart reel + calfish = millions of dollars?
stress-what happens between fishing trips

taylor5877
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by taylor5877 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:21 pm

I'm VERY interested in how objective Tackletour is in their upcoming reviews of the Chronarch and Curado...

I don't really want to take it any further than that...

vArm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vArm » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:35 pm

taylor5877 wrote:I'm VERY interested in how objective Tackletour is in their upcoming reviews of the Chronarch and Curado...

The TT guys do a great job avoiding having to do a review of a product that doesn't get at least get a rating of "GOOD".
MegabassUSA.com

daiwa lunatic
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwa lunatic » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:06 pm

vArm wrote:
taylor5877 wrote:I'm VERY interested in how objective Tackletour is in their upcoming reviews of the Chronarch and Curado...

The TT guys do a great job avoiding having to do a review of a product that doesn't get at least get a rating of "GOOD".
I would be more interested in tt making another reel shoot out, Steez vs Revo MGX vs Pixy type R, z200 or T3 vs shimano DC, Quantum Exo VS zillion type r VS curado/chronarch

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:16 pm

Look on the bright side Wisconsin, there certainly should be a lot of cheese being sold with all the "whine" going around lately. It's just plain ridiculous reading all these posts bitching about what was or wasn't released. Same thing year after year... Sure, there are things I'd have liked to have seen made and released, but does it make me feel any better to b*tch about it? Nope. There are plenty of amazing products out there, past and present, from which to build a stellar arsenal of rods and reels.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Shimano-Or-Nothing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Shimano-Or-Nothing » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:46 pm

tj1004 I'm with you on this one. I own a Chronarch D and several Curado E's to tell you the truth I've never felt a huge gap in performance switching from one to the other. Definitely never felt like the Curado was plasticy or cheap. Personally, yeah, I wish Shimano would have done more. But I'm not sweatin' it. I'll definitely be getting my hands on one of those 5.5:1 Chronarchs. 5.0:1 gear ratios always feel way too slow. I'm hoping the 5.5:1 gear ratio will be the perfect crankbait reel for me! I'll wait to pass judgement when I get it out on the water, I don't care what it looks like on paper. If that make me an average joe thats fine with me.

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:59 pm

If we can't discuss what we woulda liked or shoulda been done or how bad so and so screwed up then we might as well lock this site down. I for one don't mind "b!tching" about things from time to time and I bet others don't either. I especially don't mind over silly crap like what Shimano did. Yes I believe I could brew up some popular fishing equipment. I make my own rods and jigs for this reason. Nobody makes them like I want. So let's close the doors on this site or call it www.shimano.com/tackletour/editorschoicenomatterwhat

SLM
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SLM » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:05 pm

ecu daniel 14 wrote:on another note, obviously you have never used the older chronarch or you would be upset too...plastic and chronarch do not mix well at all...
The CH-100A and previous generation Chronarchs all had plastic sideplates. More recently, the CH-50mg also sported plastic sidelpates. Plastic and Chronarchs are not strangers.
ecu daniel 14 wrote:shimano made this change to target the majority of fishermen (weekend warriors and amateur tournament guys) not hardcore tackle enthusiastic crazies found on this website....by making this change the designers at shimano are hoping that the chronarch's great reputation will carry the same weight with the newer cheaper plasticy garbage model (marketing at its finest)...
Not having read much on the specs yet, what parts of the new generation Chronarchs are plastic (other than the sideplates)?