Spilt Ring and Hook Replacement on 110's

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
LITTLE T
Angler
Angler

Spilt Ring and Hook Replacement on 110's

Post by LITTLE T » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:01 pm

Some of my 110's don't have a split ring. What is a high quality ring to get to put on it? Also what is a good hook to replace with the ones that come on the lure?

Stephan Bohm
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Spilt Ring and Hook Replacement on 110's

Post by Stephan Bohm » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:21 pm

I've never seen them without split rings. How are the hooks currently attatched? I buy split rings in bulk from cabelas and have used them without issue. My typical aftermarket hooks are Gamakatsu short shanks. If you are parinoid about losing baits you can try Lure Saver split rings, though I had a bad experience with them when one released on a big Chequamegon bay smallmouth.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:47 am

LITTLE T wrote:Some of my 110's don't have a split ring. What is a high quality ring to get to put on it? Also what is a good hook to replace with the ones that come on the lure?
Some of them come without the ring on the line tie. You have two options: forgo the ring and just use a snap, or put a ring on. I like the oval rings on LC baits and use those...some use Owner Hyper Wire split rings, but I prefer those on hook hangars.

The hook can be purchased from Megabass USA. Call Catherine and she can help you out. On my 110s, I only use the stock hooks to get the proper weighting.

http://www.megabassusa.com/news/guide-u ... bait-hooks

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:25 pm

Tokugawa wrote:
LITTLE T wrote:Some of my 110's don't have a split ring. What is a high quality ring to get to put on it? Also what is a good hook to replace with the ones that come on the lure?
Some of them come without the ring on the line tie. You have two options: forgo the ring and just use a snap, or put a ring on. I like the oval rings on LC baits and use those...some use Owner Hyper Wire split rings, but I prefer those on hook hangars.

The hook can be purchased from Megabass USA. Call Catherine and she can help you out. On my 110s, I only use the stock hooks to get the proper weighting.

The VMC Barberian outbarb is very close to the stock 110 hooks and they are working on my 110's so you may want to try them.
Barlow's Tackle

518bassin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by 518bassin » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:53 pm

smalljaw wrote:
Tokugawa wrote:

The VMC Barberian outbarb is very close to the stock 110 hooks and they are working on my 110's so you may want to try them.
VMC makes the outbarb hook for Megabass USA.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:03 pm

They are not the same tho. The 110 hook is slightly thinner than the Barbarian.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:50 pm

I actually removed the split ring from mine, because I use the snap.
You only need the ring if you tie the lure directly.

LITTLE T
Angler
Angler

Post by LITTLE T » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:18 am

I have never tried a snap but it would be handy to change lures without re tieing. Will the snaps affect the way lure runs?

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:31 am

A snap permits the lure to work freely...just don't use one with a swivel.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:58 am

Just received two 110's Silent Risers.
One which comes in "American Power Jerkbait" box comes with split ring.
Another one in new Megabass box doesn't have it :shock:
All magnums I have came without split ring.

LITTLE T
Angler
Angler

Post by LITTLE T » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:21 pm

Yea that is what alot of the one's I have ordered lately would be like. Some would come with rings and some without. That seems kinda what they are doing with the barbless hooks also.

Marc David
Angler
Angler

Post by Marc David » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:39 pm

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but am curious as to what are the blackish split rings that come stock on the 110s?

damian_megabass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by damian_megabass » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:55 am

I usually leave the stock hook split rings on and switch the middle hook with owner st-36 and use an oval split ring for the front. Oval rings are easier to tie, for me at least.
I will NEVER sell another 3:16 swimbait again!

JLP
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by JLP » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:21 pm

I use Hyper wire split rings and Gamakatsu short shank hooks, you can go a hook size larger without the hooks tangling. A snap on the line tie sometimes can damage your line.

LITTLE T
Angler
Angler

Post by LITTLE T » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:09 pm

damian_megabass wrote:I usually leave the stock hook split rings on and switch the middle hook with owner st-36 and use an oval split ring for the front. Oval rings are easier to tie, for me at least.
Yea I was going to change those middle hooks out also. What size hooks did you put on the bait?