Samurai Issues?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
EJP1234
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Samurai Issues?

Post by EJP1234 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:30 pm

I'm just curious if anyone else has had issues with this braid? I as well as my fishing partner both bought some over the winter as we are enthusiasts to the core and looking for a more manageable braid.

I went to Kissimmee in feb and was punching grass. On 2 occasions the 55lb snapped on a hook set? I was really thrown off by this, and after years of using power pro and tuff lin, and several others I have never ever ever had braid snap on hook sets... I've caught 100lb tarpon on 55lb power pro, but the samurai snapped on the hook set?

Just on wednesday my partner was trying his for the first time and was using it with chatterbaits and traps in the grass. He was having serious issues with it digging into the spool as well as backlashing non-stop... He was using a calcutta dc, and is by no means a rookie with casting gear, and a backlash for either of us is a very rare thing. Then his line snapped on a cast sending the chatterbait into outter space... So his braid snapped as well?

I'm not real impressed with the line, but will say its very limber which I really liked... Is there something captn obvious I'm missing here? Anyone else experience this? I'm disappointed in spending top dollar and getting a subpar line when I was anticipating the end all be all.

Jean Scurtu
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Samurai Issues?

Post by Jean Scurtu » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:15 pm

I already teling on this forum my SPIDERWIRE ULTRACAST 10lb. is stronger comparative with my friend DAIWA SAMURAI 15LB.!!!
And for my ULTRACAST the price was $20 ,not about $50 like DAIWA SAMURAI !!!
Jean

"BORN TO FISH,FORCED TO WORK"

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:16 pm

Been using Samurai couple years ago, tired of loosing fish and lures.
Switch to Varivas and YGK braid, never had issues. By the way, Daiwa for local
Japan market, also good, for example Surf Sensor Hyper PE, but two companies mentioned above are better.

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:37 pm

I switched to Samurai about 12 months back.Been using 20/30/40lb variants for different applications.Overall I am pleased with the line,smooth,casts great and very manageable.I have had no breakage issues what so ever on all 3 poundages tested.
I did however experience my first wind knot the other day :cry:
This after 25 years of braid fishing,I suppose it is due to the limp nature of Samurai.
Started way back with Battle Line,Fireline,Spiderwire,Powerpro,Sufix and ultimately Samurai.An evolution of sorts :lol:
The only one I would return to if I had to would be Sufix performance braid .At present Samurai is just great.
Happiness is a sore thumb

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:07 am

I use the the 20lb on spinning and 40lb on baitcasting gear. no problems so far,I know when it first came out the the 20lb was that I was using broke well below its rating ,but know they must have change that.

Pin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Pin » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:18 pm

I think Samurai braid is thinner diameter compared to PP. So you may want to go to 70 lb Samurai, which then would be more similar to 50 lb PP. I find that the slightly thicker diameter helps the line from digging itself during the hard hooksets involved in punching techniques, as well as holding the knots better during high strain scenarios.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:52 pm

Wind knots and tip wrapping ...

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:32 am

Samurai definitely has a lower breaking strength than what's on the box. There was a website floating around somewhere where a guy was doing actual testing on different brands of braids and Samurai was one of the worst. Still, I only use Samurai braid. I use 55# for topwater plugs and spinnerbaits, and 70# for buzzbaits, frogs, and punching without any problems.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:24 pm

I have 80lb that came with my Revo Toro 61, might just go to PP super slick or Suffix 832.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm