Fenwick Elite Tech Walleye

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Fenwick Elite Tech Walleye

Post by tywithay » Tue May 22, 2012 11:10 am

I haven't seen a whole lot about these rods, but man are they sweet. I had felt a couple Fenwick's at the store and they always seemed a bit stiff compared to the action, similar to St Croix. They didn't have the model I wanted so I ordered a 7'2" Medium 'rigging' rod. When it arrived I was suprised to see that the action wasn't stiffer at all, if anything it fishes a bit lighter. I paired it with a Stradic 2500FJ and it's a match made in heaven. I've used it for some dropshotting and it has done a fantastic job at that. I also used it to jig for crappies. The extra length really helped me reach some tight spots and it was easily sensitive enough to feel all the soft strikes. I haven't had a chance to use it for walleye rigging, which it was designed to do...but I'm pretty impressed so far; especially with how good of a dropshot rod it is. Hard to beat for the money, I think.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Fenwick Elite Tech Walleye

Post by smalljaw » Tue May 22, 2012 2:54 pm

I began checking out the Fenwick lineup when I was getting my Elite Tech Smallmouth rods, I looked at the HMG and the HMX and the price points and for the life of me I can't understand why I haven't paid attention to their rods. The build quality was excellent and feel in hand was very nice as well and when it comes to needing a new rod I will make sure I look at their rods as well, the price point for the rods I feel is pretty much on the low side. Good luck with the walleye rod, they look like really nice sticks too.
Barlow's Tackle

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Wed May 23, 2012 10:03 pm

FENWICK will be introducing a new lineup at ICAST 2012---stay tuned--have it on good source.

Canga-
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Canga- » Thu May 24, 2012 7:27 am

i briefly owned a 6'3" mxf elite tech walleye, thoguth it was a great rod, especially at the price, i ended up having to sell it for financial reason and ended up with a st croix avid 6'3" mxf (i got it for $130, had a nick in the tip guide, and the new one st croix provided free of charge :D ) these rods compare pretty well imo. both fairly light weight, very sensitive, have quality components, look good, etc.

i have only held the smallmouth series in stores, hard to explain, but the first guide from the reel has been a different angle on every rod i have looked at (all the models cabelas had, as well as a couple at scheels), i was going to get the 7'4" mf to throw some soft swimbaits on, but couldnt get past the guides. they look to be the same guides as used on the scheels house rods (though scheels has sic inserts instead of zirconium) but the elite tech walleye series has alconites, which other than an HMX i have on all my rods, and have not had a problem with.

CALL ME RIFLE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by CALL ME RIFLE » Thu May 24, 2012 6:41 pm

=D> Great rods,have a couple of em...Fenwick overall is a great "bang for the buck" company