Rod Racks

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
biggs
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Rod Racks

Post by biggs » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:04 pm

So I need a rod rack and with the many to choose from I was wondering what guys here are using for a rod rack?

I am tired of just having all my rods leaning in the corner!

Thanks.
Instagram @___bradb

muskyhunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Rod Racks

Post by muskyhunter » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:32 pm

i really like the BPS racks.

i got the 24 rod rack.

if you want a small cabinet then get the version with cabinet.

Let's go fishing!!!

Seph
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Seph » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:11 am

I personally do not like round style rod racks mentioned above....I feel they waste a LOT of space....the whole center area seems like a waste of space to me. Also, I am wary of any rack that has the little rubber grippers to hold the top part of the rod. These grippers eventually wear out, and when they are working only hold a specific range of rod diameters. I am also not a huge fan of the rod racks that also store tackle internally due to efficiency. When I need to dig through tackle I don't like to have to dodge rods and when you fill up one of these storage cabinets you will soon be storing tackle in two different places.

I like either vertical wall mount racks, or rolling rod racks. The vertical racks can be found in wood for less than $30, lots of styles of these out there. The rolling floor racks usually start at around $50 (which i find cheap for something that stores over >$1400 of my equipment). I store the rolling racks perpendicular to the wall and the wheels are great for moving them around//out of the way when needed.
I have many different types of fishing rods -- not just bass fishing stuff -- small ultralight panfish rods, normal bass rods, heavy duty trolling boat rods and even 12 foot surf rods(broken down). These can all be nicely stored into this kind of rack.

My choices in rod racks is one of function and ease of access. I know if you are trying to dress a room up or something the horizontal wall racks look better (to a woman :big grin: ), not sure how many total rods the OP is trying to store and how often the rods will be going in and out of the racks

Imavol
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Imavol » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:11 am

I like the rolling rod racks too. Also I made some for the ceiling in my garage out of some water pipe that hangs over my boat. I just made them in a u shape and put pipe insulation on them to protect the rods. It is handy for rods that come in and out alot in the boat.

tH3_Guy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tH3_Guy » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:56 pm

Depends on what furniture styling u have...
I got dark/red stain oak but had to hide in my fishing closet as it does not match my comtemp/modern styling of furniture and cabinets in ome.

Im still,using it itst behind closed doors.

I got this one, nice style, bad design.
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Organize ... -OFTT.html

Warning not very well built needs a lil modification but overall ok rack.

summers
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by summers » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:04 pm

I have three of the over head racks, the rods are out the way and over head and I am the only one tall enought in the house to reach them so I know they are safe from little hands in my house.

http://www.piranharodrack.com/overhead.html

Wall mount

KCL655321
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KCL655321 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:47 pm

I like the round rack I have that spins, ones that don't spin I find absolutely worthless. You can put them in the corner & spin it around to get the rods you want. Although the 24 stated storage is for rods only, if you have reels on them, you'll be lucky to get 12 on them. Maybe you could get 24 on there if you were able to stagger the reels with rods with different but lengths, but good luck on that.

I have a rectangular 24 rod rack with 2 drawers at the bottom & it's nice, but not as handy to get at set-ups as the round rack. After looking at how warped the rod tubes I had stored in the rafters of my shed became, I wouldn't put any rods on a ceiling rack other than catfish sticks.

branover
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by branover » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:13 pm

I ended making my own but filled it up quickly, time to make a larger one I guess
Attachments
IMG_0266.jpg
IMG_0266.jpg (22.77 KiB) Viewed 4449 times

muskyhunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by muskyhunter » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:36 pm

I won this rod rack at a local tourny.

here is the crappy old bps rack i have.

holden234
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by holden234 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:30 am

Like the wall racks as they do not take up as much space and can keep adding racks as my rod collection grows.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:07 am

This one:

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-R ... _THUMBNAIL

Which I bought at Dick's for $29.99 (think under the name Field and Stream). Sold to hold 16 rods and is on casters -holds approx 14 combos comfortably (maybe 15 with some juggling). With reel installed it's pretty tight (covers on all my reels). I have to put combos in based on reel height (handles facing in or out, etc) so they don't interfere with each other.

I store mine against a wall and swing it out to gain access to the back row of rods. Having casters on the rack is great.