sooo...not happy

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

sooo...not happy

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:56 pm

a middle guide broke off of my Veritas this weekend while fishing...I have no idea how and diddnt notice it until I saw it sliding up and down my line... :doh:

anyway, I email Abu about the warranty because I no longer have the receipt of my purchase....you know what they tell me?

"Daniel, please contact Jann's netcraft for fishing rod components for we do not repair fishing rods. Their phone number is 1-800-346-6590. Thank-you"

REALLY!?!?!?!

There website (www.abugarcia.com) says:
-send a check or money order in the amount of $9.95 to cover return postage and handling.
-Dated proof of purchase must be included with returned product for warranty consideration.
-Completed Product Repair/Replacement Form.

REALLY!?!?!

Am i flipping out for no reason here? This is rediculous. I know its an inexpensive rod, but still.....come on Abu ](*,)

v3n0m
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: sooo...not happy

Post by v3n0m » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:00 pm

That definately sounds like a warranty issue that they should honor. ](*,) ](*,)

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:03 pm

looking back at some video footage, I see the guide just popping off the rod during a cast.....I even have proof...COME ON MAN

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:54 pm

I'm betting they just skimmed the email & didn't really read it. I bet they think the ring 'broke' as opposed to it separating from the frame. I'd call them if it were me. Sure sounds like it should be covered by warranty.

KCL655321
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KCL655321 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:21 pm

Call them, sounds like someone was working that didn't want to be bothered by anything answered you e-mail. Pure has only been great with the few issues I've had with their products, I'm sure the right person will get you the help you're looking for.

agggh
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by agggh » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:23 pm

I didnt have a receipt when my verdict broke in the middle of a cast, and was told the same thing. I talked to them a bunch of times, but was S.O.L.

I was unimpressed by how it was handled, I bought the rod at a sports show and didn't get a receipt. They didnt sympathize with me one bit and was told to buy from "reputable" dealers in the future. It was kinda like they didnt know what a sporting goods show is.

It left a bad taste in my mouth, so ill never deal with Abu rods again.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:46 pm

If you actually have video of it popping off during a cast... And they still refuse warranty, man I'd post that video all over youtube, fishing forums, and links to the YouTube video under every major retailer's customer review section-then send the abu president/top brass the links. That video/story could really affect sales. I know I wouldn't buy one after reading that horrid feedback. Would take a chunk of time to do for that cheap rod... But it's about principle.

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:53 am

I've had some bad experiences with Abu Garcia's Rod Warranty Dept. Reminds me of E21's customer service. :? :x

But to me, any rod under $120 will most likely not carry any warranty at all and a piece of mind when I buy these cheaper end rods. I purchase these rods to try them out and if they break...due to craftsmanship, I try to get warranty on the rod. If warranty fails after several attempts, I do what I can to fix the rod or trash it.

Another great example. I traded a Villain rod not too long ago. When I originally bought the rod, I just quickly looked at the rods asthetics and fished with it. After trading the rod, I found out from the other party that the guides are mis-aligned and crappy epoxy all over the place. I overlooked things on this rod and it is something I usually don't do, but it was an Abu Garcia rod - what do you expect?... and I didn't think much of it. I returned what I traded to the other party and let the party even keep the darn rod - a $180 Villain rod. And not that I would have claimed the warranty but it was too much money sending rods back and forth. Meh....

My experiences with Abu Garcia Rods leaves very little to no room to desire at all especially when Shimano's Compre...with limited lifetime warranty at $100 and better quality than even Abu's top end Villain rod...is hard to beat.

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:31 am

I'm sure you're very frustrated. But they clearly state a proof of purchase is required. I've only had to use Pure Fishing's service once, and they were awesome. But that was on a reel and I did have my receipt. I have a folder were I keep copies of receipts for products like that. Has come in handy many times!

Hope you get the rod fixed.

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:46 am

I can contact the place I purchased the rod from and get the reciept thats no big deal.

The fact is they told me to fix it myself when they have it posted all over there website that there warranty covers manufactering defects to rods and I just have to send it to them with 10 bucks and they will fix it......epic fail.

I am gonna try to edit the video clip tonight and post it. I have to buy some video editing software that will allow me to zoom into a specific area of the clip.

I agree with you Buck. Shimano is hard to beat for a "budget" rod. There warranty is great. I had a Shimano Voltaeus (ewwww) and I broke it...they sent me a new one. That rod is very cheap, but at least they stand by there warranty. Abu can %#^& off. =;

fishdog
Angler
Angler

Post by fishdog » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:07 am

I'd send it to the address listed on their website where they tell you to include $9.95.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:11 am

ecu daniel 14 wrote:I can contact the place I purchased the rod from and get the reciept thats no big deal.

The fact is they told me to fix it myself when they have it posted all over there website that there warranty covers manufactering defects to rods and I just have to send it to them with 10 bucks and they will fix it......epic fail.

I am gonna try to edit the video clip tonight and post it. I have to buy some video editing software that will allow me to zoom into a specific area of the clip.

I agree with you Buck. Shimano is hard to beat for a "budget" rod. There warranty is great. I had a Shimano Voltaeus (ewwww) and I broke it...they sent me a new one. That rod is very cheap, but at least they stand by there warranty. Abu can %#^& off. =;
If that fails and you are still SOL you can ship it to me and I can fix it for you for free, just pay shipping and dont forget to include the guide 8-) After shipping though it may not be worth it.

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:35 pm

ecu daniel 14 wrote:I can contact the place I purchased the rod from and get the reciept thats no big deal.

I'm not trying to rain on the pain train here, but their site says with proof of purchase. If you can get the reciept, you should be golden to get it fixed via their warranty. Am I missing something here?

bassbandit
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassbandit » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:57 pm

jeb wrote:

I'm not trying to rain on the pain train here, but their site says with proof of purchase. If you can get the reciept, you should be golden to get it fixed via their warranty. Am I missing something here?
I think what is missing is consumer responsibility. :roll:

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:21 pm

The point of this thread isn't to say they wouldn't do it with the receipt. The point is they said fix it yourself. No company should say that reguardless of the situation.