Daiwa Z2020

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa Z2020

Post by Mcyl » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:23 pm

pobigred wrote:
phiten wrote:
pobigred wrote:I agree with both of you except for one small item - cost. You two might be able to afford an armada of Z's but the average guy cannot.
hahaha. if u see pat's gear (posting - reel friends), u know he is not an average guy!
Thanks for the kind comments, but most of the stuff I have purchased was either purchased used or at a good discount, or I too, could not have afforded it. If you look at the price of the Semper Fi bling stuff I used compared to some other stuff you could get, it was also quite a bit less expensive. But I bought it because I thought it was excellent quality, despite the lack of front page name recognition. So, yeh I make a little more than the average guy, but I do not have an open check book and I am also always aware that there are plenty of people viewing these comments that clearly do NOT make that kind of money, so I'm also interested in seeing how we can help them meet their particular dreams, even if they cannot afford some of the stuff others can. Each person has his own level of comfort.
You don't have to be rich to be a tackle hound like Pat. Simply going on friends boats instead of buying one equals a huge collection.

I just quit smoking and I but what I want and still have change left over ( in Australia due to taxes it's around 17-19 USD for a pack of 25)
I cut down drinking and my wife never buys seafood now...savings there

Too bad for you bass hunters...LMB and SMB aren't really edible right? I don't eat FW fish...

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:39 pm

Does the Z2020 have the same sticky dial problems as the T3? For that much money and heft I'd hope it functions perfectly!

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:34 pm

Mcyl wrote:Does the Z2020 have the same sticky dial problems as the T3? For that much money and heft I'd hope it functions perfectly!
Made in Japan not in Thailand.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:39 pm

Mcyl wrote:Does the Z2020 have the same sticky dial problems as the T3? For that much money and heft I'd hope it functions perfectly!
No, and neither does the US Z200... both amazing reels! =D>

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:46 pm

GARRIGA wrote:
So was the Playstation 3, the Prius and the Imperial Army.
And I've seen (hopefully never unwittingly touched) some fine modding of men into girls!!!
Hahaha,

Ok, I get the point, I can feel safe with a z. I want the JDM version for that clicking drag, something I miss out of spin reels

Thank you,

I think I just made enemies out of Sony, Daiwa AND Toyota fans. That must be half the world!

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:54 pm

bronzefly wrote:
No, and neither does the US Z200... both amazing reels! =D>
Here at home during the flood season we have up to 25-40 fisherman crowding around a weir for Barra. No victory sweeter than 39 other fishos watching you with a roaring drag and a 40#er on the other end!

Over here we only officially have USDM shimanos and AGs.
But daiwa brings both JDM and USDM into Australia.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:40 pm

Mcyl wrote:Too bad for you bass hunters...LMB and SMB aren't really edible right? I don't eat FW fish...
On the contrary, they are good to eat. The whole catch and release mentality has led to that mistaken conclusion on more than one occasion, so you are not alone. I keep and eat LMB occasionally, but only from small ponds-and only to keep the population in balance. Catch and realease is a good thing, but keeping a few fish for a fall fish fry is not detrimental to a healthy lake, and may even be beneficial. SMB are pretty good eating, too.

smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by smalliesteve » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:40 pm

Mcyl wrote:
GARRIGA wrote:
So was the Playstation 3, the Prius and the Imperial Army.
And I've seen (hopefully never unwittingly touched) some fine modding of men into girls!!!
Hahaha,

So wittingly then??? :lol:

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:11 pm

Mcyl wrote:And I've seen (hopefully never unwittingly touched) some fine modding of men into girls!!!Hahaha,
Must be the WTF technique at work, eh?

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:10 am

Mcyl wrote:Over here we only officially have USDM shimanos and AGs.
But daiwa brings both JDM and USDM into Australia.
That's not fair. Would be nice if JDM items were offered at our finer establishments here in the states. Having said that, they would come in at one exchange point and be fixed at that price until they were sold, which depending on which way the exchange needle is going could be a savings or price hinderence for us. I often find the JDM Z cheaper then the domestic watered down model. Go figure. excluding holiday sales.

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:39 am

Not always watered down. Core vs aldebran, more bearings sw protection. Pixy Type R (if only that was salt safe).
Especially with shimano USDM variants are to toughest. However I prefer JDM designations: S, C, HG, XG it all makes sense and give a description of not only size of spool but also body.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:35 am

Z2020H is really nice reel. Maybe a little cold in sub 0 degrees, but gloves can be used...

Original spool is big capacity. I like to use this also for seatrout and maybe for Toutain:
https://www.fishinginfinland.fi/toutain
and therefore I ordered shallow spool to it:
RCS2014 paino.JPG
Weighting RCS2014
RCS2014 paino.JPG (45.26 KiB) Viewed 6478 times
RCS2020 ja RCS2014.JPG
Original and shallow spool
RCS2020 ja RCS2014.JPG (51.05 KiB) Viewed 6478 times
Siimatilavuusvertailua.JPG
Comparing line capacities (OG HLC Zillion vs. RCS2014 spool)
Siimatilavuusvertailua.JPG (56.9 KiB) Viewed 6478 times
I have fished only once with this Z2020 (not yet with this shallow spool). Casting performance was impressive with original spool despite of that bearings are not in good shape in my reel (I will order ceramic hybrids.) Casting performance was very similar to OG HLC Zillion or may be better. There was HLC spring in my Z2020. I think it is also in RCS2014 spool. Obviously it is as standard in these reels.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:59 am

The shallow spool is butter
I use it for Flippin and Pitching

I too love this reel and find it hard to part with
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:17 pm

A Z1016 would blow me away! Would test my sanity.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:21 am

BigG wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:17 pm
A Z1016 would blow me away! Would test my sanity.
Only in our dreams unfortunately. I would have to splurge on one as well.