NEW CAMERA HELP

rubs96
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

NEW CAMERA HELP

Post by rubs96 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:19 am

Hey guys,

I am looking to pick up a new camera - mainly to "catch" my fishing pics and adventures - that would give me great / high quality shots at a not too unreasonable price. I am going on a trip next week and would like to get it before but don't mind waiting until boxing day, etc.

I am a beginner. I don't have too much knowledge of cameras and different brands and quality.

I would like a DSLR but could go for a mirror-less compact if similar image quality is available.

I've been looking at the Samsung NX11 (old model but found at a good price... I think - $349.99), the Nikon J1 10-35mm, Canon G15, and the Canon T2i/T3/T4i (this is about $700-800).

I would like to keep the price under $600 if possible and am open to all suggestions.

Thanks a lot!

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: NEW CAMERA HELP

Post by lpquick » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:24 pm

Don’t spend to much on your first digital camera. Today’s cameras are made to be thrown away after a few years unlike the film cameras of years past. Don’t pay for features you’re not going to use. Canon & Nikon are still the best cameras as far as quality and tons of options like flash, video capable, lens quality and selection. etc….

belippy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by belippy » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:00 pm

Get a G15. It has reasonal price and size! It takes good quality pics, and has all the features/funtions of an DSLR!(except lens changes) Mirrorless DSLR is still not mature enough, pics quality is about the same of an G15 but more expensive.(plus you still have to invest on lens if you want more focal lengths) Canon T2/T3 is more like an entry level models. You will probably want to upgrade it after a few months. In the future if you really wanna buy an DSLR, you sould get an 6D or 7D for your first DSLR so that you will not regret after your skills level up!!

KlingerNOK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KlingerNOK » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:36 am

If you think you might enjoy photography, I'd suggest an entry level DSLR. Most of them do great video as well as taking pictures that are MUCH better than a point and shoot due to their much larger sensors. To save some money, I'd get a refurbed Rebel kit.
Here's a T3i kit that is in your price range and with the promo code of HUSH6* I believe you can get another 20% off.http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/st ... _283207_-1

rubs96
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rubs96 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:18 pm

Thank you so much for the quick responses and helpful comments and opinions.
belippy wrote:Get a G15. It has reasonal price and size! It takes good quality pics, and has all the features/funtions of an DSLR!(except lens changes) Mirrorless DSLR is still not mature enough, pics quality is about the same of an G15 but more expensive.(plus you still have to invest on lens if you want more focal lengths) Canon T2/T3 is more like an entry level models. You will probably want to upgrade it after a few months. In the future if you really wanna buy an DSLR, you sould get an 6D or 7D for your first DSLR so that you will not regret after your skills level up!!
That is the one I was leaning most towards...
KlingerNOK wrote:If you think you might enjoy photography, I'd suggest an entry level DSLR. Most of them do great video as well as taking pictures that are MUCH better than a point and shoot due to their much larger sensors. To save some money, I'd get a refurbed Rebel kit.
Here's a T3i kit that is in your price range and with the promo code of HUSH6* I believe you can get another 20% off.http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/st ... _283207_-1
I'm checking this out right now!

DUZBASS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by DUZBASS » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:03 am

Sorry for being late on this one... but let me be the one to warn you of an evil gorilla (no simple monkey here) that lurks in the shadows eying your bank account... once you get this photo gorilla on your back you will be in serious trouble :evil22: :evil22:

ok, now to help you obtain said gorilla:

as mentioned if you think you are going to get into photography, more than just snapping some pics, get yourself into a dslr. I shoot Canon, but Nikon is a great choice too. The Rebel series is pretty darn good for the money, but again I would say buy the best camera body you can afford, because as you get into this you will want to upgrade.

I would also recommend not buying a kit. You will want to replace those kit lenses, so why even buy them. Just get something like a 35 or 50mm prime lens to start. Or a decent zoom. Keep in mind that if you buy the lens you want now you probably wont have to upgrade as it will fit the newer models for the foreseeable future. So if it is a choice between good glass and a better body get the glass first ;)

The other options you mentioned are not bad. The mirrorless cameras are pretty cool (check out the panasonic and olympus micro 4/3rds) and the G15 is nice, but for versatility, control and image quality DSLR is the way to go.

rubs96
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rubs96 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:20 pm

DUZBASS wrote:Sorry for being late on this one... but let me be the one to warn you of an evil gorilla (no simple monkey here) that lurks in the shadows eying your bank account... once you get this photo gorilla on your back you will be in serious trouble :evil22: :evil22:
I think I've spent $3000 in December on a trip to New York, a pair of Manolo's for my girlfriend, Christmas presents, a Hardy Zane fly reel, G.Loomis Pro4X 10' 7wt. rod today, new fly line, several accessories, and of course my camera... a Nikon D3100.

Love the camera so far and have been shooting a lot of pics of all my wonderful acquisitions :big grin:

Maybe I should slow down? :-s or should I perhaps invest in a good trainer to help me tame the Gorilla?

DUZBASS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by DUZBASS » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:21 am

rubs96 wrote:
DUZBASS wrote:Sorry for being late on this one... but let me be the one to warn you of an evil gorilla (no simple monkey here) that lurks in the shadows eying your bank account... once you get this photo gorilla on your back you will be in serious trouble :evil22: :evil22:
I think I've spent $3000 in December on a trip to New York, a pair of Manolo's for my girlfriend, Christmas presents, a Hardy Zane fly reel, G.Loomis Pro4X 10' 7wt. rod today, new fly line, several accessories, and of course my camera... a Nikon D3100.

Love the camera so far and have been shooting a lot of pics of all my wonderful acquisitions :big grin:

Maybe I should slow down? :-s or should I perhaps invest in a good trainer to help me tame the Gorilla?
this gorilla is of the untrainable silver back type and now that you have crossbred it with the fly fishing baboon you are in real trouble my friend :twisted:

rubs96
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rubs96 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:14 pm

DUZBASS wrote:this gorilla is of the untrainable silver back type and now that you have crossbred it with the fly fishing baboon you are in real trouble my friend
HAHAHAHAHA but I am doomed!

takrat 67
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by takrat 67 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:11 am

rubs96 wrote:

You appear to have a problem that is so far incurable. I may suggest that your girlfriend reward you for the Manolo's by taming the gorilla, she will do that anyway sooner or later. Enjoy your time while you have it, and well done on the Nikon I've been using them for years and love 'em.
JD