Your most versatile reel

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Your most versatile reel

Post by dragon1 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:07 am

Nice list...I almost chose my Antares AR, however for me, it is easier to change out to a lighter spool for finesse techs, than it is to ask a smaller reel to do heavy work. Anything over ~ 1.5oz - 2oz range in my book overpowers a Calais 100A/Antares AR or even the Calais DC/Calais 200A (APV version aside). In the 3oz + range, then most reels fall by the wayside for being able to truly handle this work day in and day out.

If it weren't for the power/IPT combo of the Z2020H, a reel like a 200 sized Calcutta DC/Conquest or Ryoga 2020/2020H would be my other choices as these reels cast fairly light baits well, and also have some lighter spool options, while maintaining a viable combination of IPT and cranking power under load.

So, walking the shoreline and being able to handle everything from finesse jigs/plastics to heavy baits is a TALL TASK...you would have to consider your rod and line as much as the reel...but if you only want a rec on the reel, then I say go bigger/stronger/lower gear ratio on the reel, and carry an extra finesse spool with lighter line/braid.

Otherwise a bigger 3000 sized spinning reel + braid, may surprise you for overall versatility from shore. ;)

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:40 am

dragon1 wrote:Nice list...I almost chose my Antares AR, however for me, it is easier to change out to a lighter spool for finesse techs, than it is to ask a smaller reel to do heavy work. Anything over ~ 1.5oz - 2oz range in my book overpowers a Calais 100A/Antares AR or even the Calais DC/Calais 200A (APV version aside). In the 3oz + range, then most reels fall by the wayside for being able to truly handle this work day in and day out.

If it weren't for the power/IPT combo of the Z2020H, a reel like a 200 sized Calcutta DC/Conquest or Ryoga 2020/2020H would be my other choices as these reels cast fairly light baits well, and also have some lighter spool options, while maintaining a viable combination of IPT and cranking power under load.

So, walking the shoreline and being able to handle everything from finesse jigs/plastics to heavy baits is a TALL TASK...you would have to consider your rod and line as much as the reel...but if you only want a rec on the reel, then I say go bigger/stronger/lower gear ratio on the reel, and carry an extra finesse spool with lighter line/braid.

Otherwise a bigger 3000 sized spinning reel + braid, may surprise you for overall versatility from shore. ;)
Yes, my OP did not include anything much over an ounce such as large swim baits. That would obviously take an additional rod as well.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:08 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:Yes, my OP did not include anything much over an ounce such as large swim baits. That would obviously take an additional rod as well.
Right on...FWIW, it doesn't have to be a "swimbait" (per the definition of a SB) to push into the 2oz + rating. I have some custom 1.5oz deep roller spinnerbaits coming built on 0.050 musky wire and #6 single willow blade. With a ~ 5" swimbait or trailer on the back of this beast spinnerbait, the total weight of head/hook/wire/components and a wet skirt; will be likely between a 7" - 8" Triple Trout.

If 1oz or so is your max intended weight, then a Calais 100A/Antares AR does great, albeit a mid tier gear ratio. Also, a reel like an HLC Zillion would be awesome, however it is not made for pitching or short underhanded tosses. I would look for a 6:something gear ratio on a reel that has enough power to handle 1oz jigs/spinnerbaits/swimjigs/frogs/cranks and still manage 1/4oz finesse jigs. Still a tall order unless you carry an extra spool, IMO.

Good luck.

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JWR075 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:42 pm

I have to say my Fuegos. I can switch spools and fish light or heavy and they have the ability to accept lots of aftermarket parts like my zillion PE spool and my BBS spool.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:50 pm

TDZ platforms are very flexible and versatile...and with only three gear ratios essentially.

trent_s
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by trent_s » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:10 pm

Core 101 or Metanium MG7. They can handle almost any bait I throw very well, including ligheter weightless plastics, and tube rigs, which most baitcasters have trouble with, and will still retrieve lures up to about 3/4 of an ounce well...over that it feels overloaded. But I never go over that.

A close second is my JDM Zillion with abec 7's and a TD-Z 100M spool. It just doesn't do quite as well with light overhand casting, but is close.

Gabriel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Gabriel » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:43 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Gabriel wrote:153 HSTA
Strong gear ratio, can burn and has a lot of power.
Casts lighter weights relatively well and can practically launch a big lure into space.
I have a 153 HSTLA. It's a great reel, to bad I have small hands. I only use it for jigging. To bulky and heavy to wing baits all day long. I'm actually considering selling it to fund this new reel, whatever it may be.
Sounds like you need a Zillion in the 6.3.
They are like super TDA's, smaller, lighter and just as powerful. But I am sure you know that.

Silas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Silas » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:52 pm

zodiak311 wrote:Steez 103, there is nothing it cannot do. :big grin:

That's a close second for me!! That sucker if flat out fantastic!!

BassAngler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BassAngler » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:49 am

steez 103hla & TDZ R+

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:42 am

I sound like a stuck record but for me it's true: Pixzilla!

bassninja
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassninja » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:44 am

Scorpion 1001XT followed closely by Core 51Mg7.

Antonio23
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Antonio23 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:40 am

Don't have a boat, Bought a Calais 201-5 about 12-15 years ago, second one few years later that was on sale, did not even know about gear ratio then or that I had a jewel of a reel until I tried some of my friends reels and noticed the huge difference. When I hit the shoreline I carry both reels and one rod, one with 10lb mono. The second one with 12, works for me. I bought a Curado 51e last year and love it for light stuff, the Antares AR lefty would be my choice.

* edited by moderator.

Katron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Katron » Fri May 03, 2013 1:12 pm

TDZ 103HL with two Steez spools, 103 & 100HLA.

Silas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Silas » Sat May 04, 2013 4:40 am

Katron wrote:TDZ 103HL with two Steez spools, 103 & 100HLA.

Darn! Didn't think of THAT! I bought ALL 3 of those reels (right hand versions)! Oh, well, I am WELL satisfied!!

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Sun May 05, 2013 9:19 pm

I feel like all five of my baitcasters are all versatile. I have a pxl-r, alphas 103 type f, chronarch 51mg, core 51, and curado 51. Each one can throw light baits, and the heaviest im throwing is typically 3/4oz so im covered.

Like someone else said though, give me a 2500/3000 size spinning reel spooled with braid and a few different size flouro leaders and im covered for anything... 8-)