Grandt Custom Rods?

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
dqphysics
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Grandt Custom Rods?

Post by dqphysics » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:48 am

I was at an outdoor show earlier in the year and I was cleaning out some old papers and magazines and found a catalog for Grandt custom rods. The rods were really sharp looking with some unbelievable thread wrapping. Aside from that the rods felt great in hand. Has anyone tried one of the rods or know anything of the company? I know they have a website (grandtrods.com) but was looking for people with knowledge of the company. Not only do they build the rods but it is their own blanks as well. Thanks in advance.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Grandt Custom Rods?

Post by dragon1 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:58 am

I researched them quite a bit a few years back, but decided against one (even though George Dubble Yuh was gifted one) for whatever reasons I found, although I can't remember if it was the warranty, blank/components, or if I just decided to go with a different custom builder. Very good looking rods though.

The one I would like to find from that time era were built on GLoomis blanks and included a beautiful wooden handle...made in the USA, I always forget the name of the maker though?

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:03 am

Those thread wraps/feather/snakeskin inlays are sick! I gotta stop reading your posts.
Thanks, now I'm wanting a topwater rod with snakeskin inlay just to throw my bloodshot raptors- http://www.7seasproshop.com/product_det ... blood_shot
The last thing I need is a dedicated raptor rod :lol:
Although... I do have the perfect reel for it...

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:07 am

78 million modulus graphite? I didn't even know that existed.
Is that accurate? I wonder what blank company makes those...

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:07 am

Those old school pistol grips with the offset reel seats are freakin' awesome! That is how you get a RR to set LOW and have the line guide at the same level as the guides right off the bat.

Nothing better than a 5'6" - 6'3"-ish pistol grip with a RR for top water fun! :big grin: 8-)

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:08 am

spookybaits wrote:78 million modulus graphite? I didn't even know that existed.
Is that accurate? I wonder what blank company makes those...
IIRC, BPS had some 90 million modulus graphite rods at one time...not around anymore, wonder if there were durability issues?

jimmyb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jimmyb » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:58 am

big modulus numbers are marketing hype...

Thor
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Thor » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:16 am

Tell me it ain't so.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:00 am

jimmyb wrote:big modulus numbers are marketing hype...
Absolutely.

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:21 pm

dont waste your money these rods are a joke,seen them at a local show a few years , nothing special .

dqphysics
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by dqphysics » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:58 am

phatbass wrote:dont waste your money these rods are a joke,seen them at a local show a few years , nothing special .
Well the quality of the build was spot on and without fishing it, sensitivity is extremely hard to judge so I am curious what is a basis of your point of view?

I am amazed nobody has fished one. I thought this forum was the all encompassing knowledge of fishing tackle. :lol:

Guess I'll have to call up Bush Sr. and ask him his opinion.

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:34 am

dqphysics wrote:
phatbass wrote:dont waste your money these rods are a joke,seen them at a local show a few years , nothing special .
Well the quality of the build was spot on and without fishing it, sensitivity is extremely hard to judge so I am curious what is a basis of your point of view?

I am amazed nobody has fished one. I thought this forum was the all encompassing knowledge of fishing tackle. :lol:

Guess I'll have to call up Bush Sr. and ask him his opinion.[/quote

if you like cheap guides,blanks and ugly chevron wraps,then these are your rods.

Ozzie1
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Ozzie1 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:04 am

Bought a Grandt Rod at an Ohio Fishing Boat Show at IX Ctr about 10 years ago. Saw these rods, never heard of them. Asked the man what could be so great about these rods to demand over $200 dollars. He passed me a rod w/ a lure attached and tapped the line gently. Bought on the spot. A big investment at the time for me. Have used my custom rod on Perch; Bass; Pike; Walleye; Crappie - topwater to spreader. Own Loomi; St Croix etc. Best of the bunch by FAR. Tough and extremely well built. And Pretty. Just like the woman I married. If you want a great rod that will last the rest of your life I recommend one of these. By the By at that show I had more than one Fishing guide recognize that rod and said it was the best you can get as I was walking by.

smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by smalliesteve » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:40 am

If you can't specify the length of the grips its not a custom in my book. Also there's no mention of action on any of their rods. My money isn't tempted.

Welcome to the boards Ozzie, hope you enjoy the site.
I'll warn you though, ringing endorsements on first posts generally result in skepticism regarding the independence of the reviewer.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:01 am

Ozzie1 wrote:Bought a Grandt Rod at an Ohio Fishing Boat Show at IX Ctr about 10 years ago. Saw these rods, never heard of them. Asked the man what could be so great about these rods to demand over $200 dollars. He passed me a rod w/ a lure attached and tapped the line gently. Bought on the spot. A big investment at the time for me. Have used my custom rod on Perch; Bass; Pike; Walleye; Crappie - topwater to spreader. Own Loomi; St Croix etc. Best of the bunch by FAR. Tough and extremely well built. And Pretty. Just like the woman I married. If you want a great rod that will last the rest of your life I recommend one of these. By the By at that show I had more than one Fishing guide recognize that rod and said it was the best you can get as I was walking by.
You would understand why your word is going to be questioned since you are a newbie and your first post you go and make a statement that they are better than Loomis and Croix. Please explain which Loomis and which Croix? Are we talking GL2, GL3's, and maybe IMX's or are you talking GLX's and NRX's and what about Croix? Triumph/Premier, Avid/Rage, or any of the Legend's (Tournament/Elite/Extreme). I am very interested in your reply as I have never heard of Grandt Rod's and for $200ish that is less than the Up and Coming 13 Fishing Envy rod.