T3 SV 8.1R-TW Initial Thoughts

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

T3 SV 8.1R-TW Initial Thoughts

Post by Johnny A » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:42 pm

Had the above noted reel out for about 5 hours on the local lake. Throwing a 6" Berkley Lizard on an Owner 3/0 wide gap hook on 19lb Defier. MB Super Orochi rounded out the combo. Excuse the brand pimping, only for comparison purposes.
It took about 10 casts to calibrate "Long Cast" setting. A few light overruns in the beginning but once the cast control knob was set, it was easy, effortless casting. The shallow spool held enough line and then some.
There were no fish over 2 lbs, so drag wasn't tested. I may move up to 22lb test and use as a pitchin' reel.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: T3 SV 8.1R-TW Initial Thoughts

Post by dragon1 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:05 am

Nice Johnny...maybe better served in the reviews section?

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:21 pm

dragon1 wrote:Nice Johnny...maybe better served in the reviews section?
Yeah, I was torn but decided on this forum because of the T3 threads on this forum and the reel forum. I also didn't think it was really long enough to be a review.

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:38 pm

Johnny A wrote:
Yeah, I was torn but decided on this forum because of the T3 threads on this forum and the reel forum. I also didn't think it was really long enough to be a review.
I also found it short for a review.

Go back to the tests and write more. I believe there are a lot of people willing to kill for more info.

Keep us posted. Please.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:57 am

Carlos Carrapiço wrote:
Johnny A wrote:
I also found it short for a review.

Go back to the tests and write more. I believe there are a lot of people willing to kill for more info.

Keep us posted. Please.
Thanks for the kind words. I guess this was directed at the fence-sitters, the guy who needed just some performance feedback to pull the trigger. I'll continue to keep the info coming as I get more time on the water with it. I should have some more to report this weekend.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:41 am

Right on. Hoping you will circle back with more input as it is an intriguing reel.

BRbasser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BRbasser » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:55 am

I spent 3 hours with mine the other day at a local private lake. I mounted it on a Dobyns DX 742C. I was using Suffix 30lb braid. I was also using my Personal Order TD-Z with my NRX 852C. I was throwing 5 inch senkos with a 1/16 sliding weight. I was throwing off the bank into groups of cypress trees in the wind. It was not close, the T3-SV was throwing much farther with much fewer backlashes. I found myself using the the all around setting on the bottom of the reel and around number 10 with the thumb wheel. When the wind died down I was able to using long cast on the bottom. Most of the time I did not have to thumb the reel. There is something special about this spool. I later switched over to a small frog and was amazed that it did not make much difference. I caught over 12 fish with this combo and loved it. This reel can do it all.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:30 am

BRbasser wrote:I spent 3 hours with mine the other day at a local private lake. I mounted it on a Dobyns DX 742C. I was using Suffix 30lb braid. I was also using my Personal Order TD-Z with my NRX 852C. I was throwing 5 inch senkos with a 1/16 sliding weight. I was throwing off the bank into groups of cypress trees in the wind. It was not close, the T3-SV was throwing much farther with much fewer backlashes. I found myself using the the all around setting on the bottom of the reel and around number 10 with the thumb wheel. When the wind died down I was able to using long cast on the bottom. Most of the time I did not have to thumb the reel. There is something special about this spool. I later switched over to a small frog and was amazed that it did not make much difference. I caught over 12 fish with this combo and loved it. This reel can do it all.
Did you use the internal knot to join the braid with backing or did you connect the braid directly to the spool? I first attempted braid but my connecting knot wouldn't pass through the narrow part of the guide. I didn't give myself much time to get set up, so I went with the Defier.

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:12 am

Hey John a meter or 2 of mono backing should be fine. Then a simple abright will suffice. For the braid to leader the Albright knot shown by Martens on TT should be fine for bass,

BRbasser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BRbasser » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:09 am

I do not use a backing. I put a small piece of electrical tape across the beginning of the line to keep it from slipping.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:50 am

Thanks gents! I may pick up some Toray or Varivas. The one problem with the finesse braids is pickerel slicing it.

BRbasser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BRbasser » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:10 am

I just spent another 2 hours with this reel. I can throw my baits farther with less effort and I do not have to touch the spool. I have never owned a reel that casts like this one. Amazing.

kakaryan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by kakaryan » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:08 pm

BRbasser wrote:I just spent another 2 hours with this reel. I can throw my baits farther with less effort and I do not have to touch the spool. I have never owned a reel that casts like this one. Amazing.
Do u find it casts significantly further than a normal T3 (eg.1016 spool) as well?

My Steez SV spool casts further with less effort than my TD-ito spool too. But I am wondering if the T3 SV would cast even further than Steez SV.

Cheers.

BRbasser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BRbasser » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:58 pm

Absolutely. Now that I have the reel dialed in I find it amazing. Next week I am going to get a friend to video some of my casts with the reel. I initially bought the reel for the way it looks but it has turned out to be the best casting reel I own.

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:03 pm

BRbasser wrote:Absolutely. Now that I have the reel dialed in I find it amazing. Next week I am going to get a friend to video some of my casts with the reel. I initially bought the reel for the way it looks but it has turned out to be the best casting reel I own.
Might be one to buy... for the times when I can't carry like 8 setups..... :D

There's this fenwick rod on icast that interests me too... one handle 2 middles and 2 tips...
it might not be great at anything but would be a great partner to something like the SV

Although I have to wonder...how well would it balance on a racing condition FX 711.
If it does, it would make it the ultimate jerkbait thrower