Straight up long distance

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Straight up long distance

Post by new2BC4bass » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:48 pm

I can't afford most of the reels you boys mention. Although I often am casting for max distance, I've never tried to find out which reel is best in this respect. Nor do I fish rattletraps although I recently purchased a couple to try.

I can say that my Zillion 50th on a Zillion Flip and Pitch rod casting a 3/4 oz. spinnerbait has made some fairly long casts. This spring I was tossing a 3/4 oz. salt water spoon with a Daiwa Jupiter 7' MHF, STX-L Gen 1 and 40# Sufix Performance (10# mono equivalent). I keep line filled even with spool bevel, and at a guess, I would say at least half of it was gone on almost every cast. Probably more than half.

However, as mentioned elsewhere, this also includes line bow from the wind, so distance in a straight line wouldn't equal line amount cast.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:39 am

I would vote for 2012 Shimano Antares.
Find a video on youtube where the guy casts for 99 meters distance.

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:45 am

Cracker wrote:I would vote for 2012 Shimano Antares.
This is the power of marketing.

The real question is: Can you cast 99 meters with the same reel in a fishing situation?

Scorpio
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Scorpio » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:52 am

T3 1016

thelatrobe33
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by thelatrobe33 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:15 am

Carlos Carrapiço wrote:

The real question is: Can you cast 99 meters with the same reel in a fishing situation?
If you cast anything like that guy in the video I sure hope you're wearing your life jacket :lol: That new Antares does cast extremely well though. I couldn't get used to how big it was though. It feels bigger than the Z when it's mounted on a rod.

vsmpowered
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by vsmpowered » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:24 pm

calais dc n exsense dc
\:D/

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:23 pm

Carlos Carrapiço wrote:
The reel question is: Can you cast 99 meters with the same reel in a fishing situation?
Power of marketing, correct. I seen another Japanese video, the guys could cast fishing bait (I believe it was a jig head without skirt with grub as a trailer), with regular over head cast up to 60 something meters. Still great distance.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:31 pm

Carlos Carrapiço wrote:

If it were a Daiwa casting 99 meters would you be making this comment? Even if some were to only cast 80% of that, its still a LONG ways away.

carbonduke
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by carbonduke » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:20 pm

Calais 201 on a Deps Bush Viper.

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:52 pm

Bootytrain wrote:
Carlos Carrapiço wrote:

If it were a Daiwa casting 99 meters would you be making this comment? Even if some were to only cast 80% of that, its still a LONG ways away.
I think there is...Zs and T3 SVs are surreal at long distances and I'm guessing in wind the Daiwa's magforce 3d will win out. I do wonder how far an exsence DC can cast...

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:37 pm

J Dream with 65# PP 8 and 1/2 oz Red Eye Shad on Cumara 711m. The 3/4 oz was even better. :)

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:08 am

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:59 pm

Bootytrain wrote:
Carlos Carrapiço wrote:

If it would only cast 80% of that it would be 80 meters which is very different.
More, the 99 meters were achieved in very controlled conditions with a very skilled caster attempting many times and using a spool that might not even resemble the final production one included in the reel.

Now, real world results:
Cracker wrote:
Carlos Carrapiço wrote:
The reel question is: Can you cast 99 meters with the same reel in a fishing situation?
Power of marketing, correct. I seen another Japanese video, the guys could cast fishing bait (I believe it was a jig head without skirt with grub as a trailer), with regular over head cast up to 60 something meters. Still great distance.
And yes, if it was Daiwa attempting this kind of marketing, I would do the same.

Indeed, I have posted some comments about the new Tatula that don't favor Daiwa at all.

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:02 pm

GARRIGA wrote:J Dream with 65# PP 8 and 1/2 oz Red Eye Shad on Cumara 711m. The 3/4 oz was even better. :)
Dear Garriga,

Can you put some numbers for reference?
I believe the 65 lb PP may cut a little bit the distance. Going smaller may get you even further. :-k

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:54 am

Carlos Carrapiço wrote:
GARRIGA wrote:J Dream with 65# PP 8 and 1/2 oz Red Eye Shad on Cumara 711m. The 3/4 oz was even better. :)
Dear Garriga,

Can you put some numbers for reference?
I believe the 65 lb PP may cut a little bit the distance. Going smaller may get you even further. :-k
No tape measure but I did bow hunt and played football so I have a pretty good sense of 30-40 yards. The 1/2 oz was probably skirting the 40 yard mark but the 3/4 oz was clearly pushing near 50 and very close to being spooled.

This is the only reference I have recently with trap baits. Last time I used those were the original Bill Lewis and those were mostly 1/4 oz close quarter canal fishing. Only reason I did this was for an impoundment near me that has surface feeding and always just beyond my reach. Next up is chucking 2oz Kastmasters and Crippled Herring on my Z2020 with 40# braid and Cumara 711XF. I was spooling my Z with that exact setup but with 65# 832. I estimated that setup had 70 yards of line based on other's feed back plus I once walked off the entire spool and it looked like 70 plus. Need to find an accessible football field so I can stop guessing these things.

Will say this much, that Z setup with the Crippled Herring was being spooled mid flight so I'm guessing I could have gotten another 10-30 yards. We'll see when I convert to 40# and toss on an actual field. Hopefully I can finally reach those darn fish.