Floating or Sinking ultralight or Micro Crankbaits????

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Shru
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Floating or Sinking ultralight or Micro Crankbaits????

Post by Shru » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:00 am

I am just very curious as to which type everyone uses and why or when you use that certain type...

Example: if you had a choice between a salmo hornet floating or sinking, (both identical colors,weight,diving distance) which type do you honestly pick and why??

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Floating or Sinking ultralight or Micro Crankbaits????

Post by uljersey » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:07 am

Floaters are nice in their ability to back out of a snag and float free (sometimes)

Sinkers can be counted down to a specific depth if the fish are holding at a particular level.

They both have their time and place. In shallower waters I generally go with a floater, or if they're feeding near the surface. If they're somewhat deep, I may go with a sinking one or switch up to a jig head with a stinger tail (skinny taper) baitfish profile soft plastic body.

An excellent sinking micro crankbait is the YoZuri Snap Bean. Out of production now, but can still be found at a reasonable cost with a bit of searching. The thing will get crushed by anything that swims ...

MondayMonkey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MondayMonkey » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:20 am

I have way too much money into my ultralight bag. I think I have a problem, most of the below lures I have in every color available or that was available while in production. I use these for trout, bass, perch, and crappie.

Megabass X-30, X-55, Baby Griffon, Baby Griffon Zero, Live-X Smolt, Baby PopX
Jackson Kurokawanmushi worm
Yo-zuri Snap Bean, Snap Shad, Aile Gobi, Aile Killfish
Rapala X-Rap 1/16oz 1/8oz

I mostly prefer suspending or slow slinking if it's an option. But if you notice I do have some floaters in there. I'll use floaters in 2-4' of water or if I see surface activity. I get more hits on the Yo-zuri Gobi (sinking)and Killfish (floater) than snap beans but love them all. Most of the yo-zuri lures can be purchased direct from their site. Sinking X-30 are my favorite UL lure but I'm a MB fanboy I can admit that.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:37 am

Speaking of micro plugs ... just caught my first fish on a CD1 Rapala - the smallest Countdown they make. Little dink bass, but it counts :lol:

Shru
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Shru » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:10 pm

appreciate the input guys, Mostly i wade rivers and creeks, and do some shoreline fishing as well for smaller lakes...
I was just a bit curious as to what you guys actually use for what situations...
I personally love the snap beans you both mentioned, I have been buying alot of them lately, especially since they don't make them anymore..
Most crankbaits i have been trying to look and buy are 2g or less, few 3g size ones but not as many of the heavier ones.
I currently use a custom built rod from north fork, rated 1-4 lb test line and is a 7 foot 1 piece rod...
However, in the very near future, Mattman from these forums will be building my second custom rod, a CTS affinity X model, 2 piece 7 foot 6, 2 wt fly rod blank.. this rod i will be using for mainly 1/16 ounce cranks or less and very light jigs...

Thanks as well for naming some of the ones you actually use, I am a fan of the Yozuri line as well and have many many snap beans, gobys and killifish, other crankbaits i have been looking into are from poland, Micro crankbaits, mainly 1.5 g or less...
going out today to try some salmo hornets i picked up a month ago along with some other stuff i have been buying lately as well...

anymore helpful hints or cranks that you use and have produced as well, will be greatly appreciated by you guys or anyone else that would like to chime in.. I am always willing to try different baits, expense is not the issue, losing them expensive ones suck :lol:

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cst » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:51 am

Shru wrote:appreciate the input guys, Mostly i wade rivers and creeks, and do some shoreline fishing as well for smaller lakes...
I was just a bit curious as to what you guys actually use for what situations...
I personally love the snap beans you both mentioned, I have been buying alot of them lately, especially since they don't make them anymore..
Most crankbaits i have been trying to look and buy are 2g or less, few 3g size ones but not as many of the heavier ones.
I currently use a custom built rod from north fork, rated 1-4 lb test line and is a 7 foot 1 piece rod...
However, in the very near future, Mattman from these forums will be building my second custom rod, a CTS affinity X model, 2 piece 7 foot 6, 2 wt fly rod blank.. this rod i will be using for mainly 1/16 ounce cranks or less and very light jigs...

Thanks as well for naming some of the ones you actually use, I am a fan of the Yozuri line as well and have many many snap beans, gobys and killifish, other crankbaits i have been looking into are from poland, Micro crankbaits, mainly 1.5 g or less...
going out today to try some salmo hornets i picked up a month ago along with some other stuff i have been buying lately as well...

anymore helpful hints or cranks that you use and have produced as well, will be greatly appreciated by you guys or anyone else that would like to chime in.. I am always willing to try different baits, expense is not the issue, losing them expensive ones suck :lol:
Definitely try the Megabass X-30. I've caught three pound trout and bass on that tiny bait.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:52 am

You might want to give the Strike King Bitsy Minnow a shot. When you find one that runs nice, it can be magic. They're under $5.00. Quality is spotty. Stock hooks are crap - replace them ... so why bother ? because when you find the "one", it's a machine. If the Japanese would duplicate it angle for angle to boost the quality over the top, that would be phenomenal. For now, I'll just have to stick with my roughly 6 out of 10 "keeper ratio" ...

Allsorts
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Allsorts » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:42 pm

I fish with a bunch of guys and we do a fair bit of UL in the summer - a lot of the time we use UL topwaters, especially little poppers (smallest Pop-R with upgraded light wire trebles is a good 'un), also Duo Pocopoco
Pocopoco.jpg
Pocopoco.jpg (5.89 KiB) Viewed 9802 times
is a great little popper (1.5"). Personal favourite is the Tackle House Elfin Platy (2")
Platy.jpg
Platy.jpg (7.24 KiB) Viewed 9802 times
- quite pricey if you can find them but truly an awesome bait. Other 2 JDM baits I like are the Jackson T-Pivot
T-Pivot.jpg
T-Pivot.jpg (6.22 KiB) Viewed 9802 times
and the Smith Towadi.
towadis.jpg
towadis.jpg (14.31 KiB) Viewed 9802 times
Smallest Berkley Flicka Shad (2") is also very consistent bait, catching lots of good bass amongst the cichlids and dink bass.
I also use the Tacklehouse Buffet SD43 (1.5") a lot, bluegill eat it happily - sinking long lip trout jerkbait with skinny profile - mostly a small #2 sinking hornet will work as well but I have whipped my mate's butt when they wanted something skinny and his hornet didn't get bit much.

A very interesting bait for clear water which I've started using is the smallest Jackall Seira Minnow - 2.1" - it is great for sightfishing and it gets eaten pretty much by any bass that sees it - recommend technique is very slow roll or deadstick, I intersperse with the odd twitch which works well when the water is warm.
Jackall Seira.jpg
Jackall Seira.jpg (13.9 KiB) Viewed 9802 times
Other thing I've learnt is to use good mono instead of braid and a soft tip rod as casting accuracy is VNB most places I fish. I'm using Stroft at the mo which is really brilliant - I guess it's like Tectan - high strength / lo diameter.

MondayMonkey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MondayMonkey » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:39 am

I've been wanting to try the T- Pivot. Good to know they work off to Shimreels to order some lol. I just picked up some Jackson Cyrals and got to use them this morning was quite pleased.

Allsorts
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Allsorts » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:06 am

MondayMonkey wrote:I've been wanting to try the T- Pivot. Good to know they work off to Shimreels to order some lol. I just picked up some Jackson Cyrals and got to use them this morning was quite pleased.
Shimreels prices are great! I mostly get my stuff from ProShop Otsuka (url trout.jp) - you'll pay Japan domestic prices for stuff Shimreels doesn't have. Just email Kurihara-san at kaigai@bass.co.jp and give him the store codes of items you want. He's usually got the hard to find stuff like Platys, Towadis etc. If you want to try Platys and are struggling let me know - I can possibly help. Do yourself a favour and get a Jackall Seira 55 S while you're at Shimreels...

MondayMonkey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MondayMonkey » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:52 am

Thanks for the heads up I've never used trout.jp browse it weekly though. I've bought several reels from bass.jp great prices really fast.. I love shimreels you can't beat their prices and they ship all my orders for $10 when I request combined shipping.

Shru
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Shru » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:08 am

MondayMonkey wrote:I've been wanting to try the T- Pivot. Good to know they work off to Shimreels to order some lol. I just picked up some Jackson Cyrals and got to use them this morning was quite pleased.

Tried to google Jackson Cyrals, never found anything,unless it was a typo or something, you guys use alot of expensive lures..
I would definately hate to lose one, probably would go in after it...
Don't mind paying the price if they are that good, but would be really nervous about losing it for sure...

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:33 am

The Japanese have a bewildering array of stuff, often pricey.

For those seeking more budget friendly options, I'd say Rapala CD-1's and Bitsy Minnows.

Also, don't neglect spoons...when you think about it, a properly designed wobbling casting spoon is not all that different from a sinking crankbait.

MondayMonkey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MondayMonkey » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:01 pm

Shru wrote:

Tried to google Jackson Cyrals, never found anything,unless it was a typo or something, you guys use alot of expensive lures..
I would definately hate to lose one, probably would go in after it...
Don't mind paying the price if they are that good, but would be really nervous about losing it for sure...

My bad Cyarls lol. http://www.jackson.jp/lures/item_tf06.html

Allsorts
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Allsorts » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:25 pm

Looking at this site this morning - the ultimate resouce for ultralights (and other plugs) from many manufacturers and brands - some interesting stuff (like Tsuribito) made for the Russian market - we have some of these seling here at very good prices - $5-6 including Owners hooks etc. Got length, depth, hooks sizes etc

http://voblery.com.ua/en/