hyper speed mod for the millionaire 103 platform

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
e_bassfisher
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: hyper speed mod for the millionaire 103 platform

Post by e_bassfisher » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:54 pm

BARRAMANIAC wrote:So you should be able to take the outside ring off a cvz ( not cvx as it is different design ) and fit the monblock parts. Looking close at a monoblock and cvz I would asume most parts are interchangeable.
yes, they are....as with most daiwa/megabass lines, there are many common parts....good thing too, because if you actually use your megabass reels(like i think most of us do), and something goes wrong, you can actually repair it using daiwa parts....megabass, from my experience, will not sell ANY parts

e_bassfisher
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by e_bassfisher » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:04 pm

zenbassr wrote:
Mcyl wrote:Does PXR drag star set also fit on it?
on the drive shaft yes, but there's no room to tighten down due to the cast control (tension) cap. i believe that's why the new form factor cap was adopted for the PX, to resolve the clearance issue. i don't have the PX cap on hand so i can't rule this one out yet...
that is exactly why the px tension cap is machined that way...as well, i would think that the drive shaft would be too short to be able to add the px clicking drag....may be a drive shaft from a 203 or 253?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:49 pm

Excellent post! I've had an old Club M "Green and Gold" lefty for quite some time waiting on the right rod. The Megabass X7 Super Elseil will soon be it's new home with the 6.8 gears and a few other mods 8-)

The Tackle Trap has both RH and LH 6.8:1 gears in stock and ready to ship if any of you want install this fantastic mod!

http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... 17ad3155fb

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:17 pm

bronzefly wrote:Excellent post! I've had an old Club M "Green and Gold" lefty for quite some time waiting on the right rod. The Megabass X7 Super Elseil will soon be it's new home with the 6.8 gears and a few other mods 8-)

The Tackle Trap has both RH and LH 6.8:1 gears in stock and ready to ship if any of you want install this fantastic mod!

http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... 17ad3155fb
Damn! All this time I thought you were aware of this post!!!

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:38 pm

Mcyl wrote:
Damn! All this time I thought you were aware of this post!!!
Aware yes, time to comment, no :lol:

smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by smalliesteve » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:18 am

e_bassfisher wrote:
zenbassr wrote:
on the drive shaft yes, but there's no room to tighten down due to the cast control (tension) cap. i believe that's why the new form factor cap was adopted for the PX, to resolve the clearance issue. i don't have the PX cap on hand so i can't rule this one out yet...
that is exactly why the px tension cap is machined that way...as well, i would think that the drive shaft would be too short to be able to add the px clicking drag....may be a drive shaft from a 203 or 253?
Give me a couple days and I'll let you know if my PXL-R clicky drag and CCC will work on my Ringa SLC 103L.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:30 am

e_bassfisher wrote:
zenbassr wrote:
If it's too short, then why not mill it down a little and tap the center, then use a Steez nut handle?

smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by smalliesteve » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:33 am

Well I tried the CCC and drag clicker from my PX and it won't work. The Ringa (I'm assuming all Millionaires are like this? ) has the drag springs inboard of the outermost ball bearing on the drive shaft instead of outside it like most other reels. Because of the design of the sideplate (the boss for the driveshaft is longer than typical) there's no room for the clicker and the drag star. If you really wanted to do this you would probably need an additional 3/16 inch on the drive shaft and some spacers to take up some empty space inside the clicker assembly, or you would have to be willing to machine the boss shorter. On the plus side, it looks like with a longer drive shaft you could get away with not changing out the CCC to the PX-R's. It would be close though.

Anyone machining the boss down on one of these reels will get a free punch in the face from yours truly. Really, no charge at all. :D

Baik
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Baik » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:26 am

Could this work on the 203 platform as well? I was thinking zillion gears maybe even 7.1:1? I have both the Luna's and cvz in the 203 size and I always wish I had one just bit faster for lip less cranks and things... I may have to change the worm as well due to the Luna's 5.1:1 apposed to the 5.8:1...? And if that was the case which worm gear would be compatible for this platform? Thanks in advance and great thread =D>

Matt

zenbassr
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zenbassr » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:05 pm

Baik wrote:Could this work on the 203 platform as well? I was thinking zillion gears maybe even 7.1:1? I have both the Luna's and cvz in the 203 size and I always wish I had one just bit faster for lip less cranks and things...
the hyper speed gearset would only work on the 103/105 sizes.

for the 203 there used to be a 6.3:1 gearset that would drop right in... i have these gears in both my 203 and 300.

but since the source models were discontinued years ago, i'm not sure there are any of the faster gearsets left in stock?

rangerjoe
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rangerjoe » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:50 am

I am assuming that the gears will also fit the Luna 103?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:09 am

rangerjoe wrote:I am assuming that the gears will also fit the Luna 103?
I have never personally done a gear swap on a Luna, but they are the exact same frame as the CV-Z, so I would say with some confidence that it will work. Ian probably knows for sure... ;)

ninjaman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ninjaman » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:18 pm

rangerjoe wrote:I am assuming that the gears will also fit the Luna 103?
They will fit. I have tried it.

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by lpquick » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:25 am

Long story short. After speaking to e_bassfisher I purchased a lefty gear set for a Pixy and replaced the 5.8:1 gears on my Grigio Titanio Monoblock to 6.8:1. I am in the process of breaking it down again to take some shots of the gear swap and will share, coming soon.

Thank you Ian for helping me make this happen!

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:35 pm

lpquick wrote:Long story short. After speaking to e_bassfisher I purchased a lefty gear set for a Pixy and replaced the 5.8:1 gears on my Grigio Titanio Monoblock to 6.8:1. I am in the process of breaking it down again to take some shots of the gear swap and will share, coming soon.

Thank you Ian for helping me make this happen!
Great job =D>
keen to see the results