Need help "switching hands" (righty to lefty)

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Need help "switching hands" (righty to lefty)

Post by Afrayedknot » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:00 am

I have used righty baitcasting reels for a while now, and ever since I have been viewing tackletour stuff (2-3 years ago, I became a member earlier this year in the "offseason" 8-) ) I have been wanting to switch to lefty reels. I am right handed, so I have to cast then switch hands, then switch hands again to cast, and so on which gets annoying for me when I am trying to cast fast or repetitively. Casting is slower, pitching is slower - everything is slower! :lol: I use lefty w/ spinning reels and it is soooo much more convenient to be able to cast immediately after retrieve. Also, it does not feel weird with a spinning reel.

I have tried a few lefty reels, but they just feels so weird when reeling. My right hand (now palming the reel) wants to move kind of in a circular motion to help my uncoordinated-at-reeling left hand out. Also, setting the hook seems weird cause I normally swing to the right, or upper-right, but I would have to swing the other way with a lefty.

Anyone who has made the switch from righty to lefty: Do these motions become more comfortable in time? Does it begin to feel normal?

I am planning on making the switch in a few months with maybe a tatula or something.

Thanks for all help!

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Need help "switching hands" (righty to lefty)

Post by tywithay » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:07 am

Why couldn't you still set the hook to the right while using your left hand?

It's one of those things that just takes some getting used too. You've gotten the muscle memory burned in after using it the other way so long. It's going to take time to get used to it. I can use both left and right, but still prefer using right myself. I learned to reel lefty by sitting on my couch watching tv holding a rod/reel with no line on it and just practicing cranking the handle.

btune
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by btune » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:25 am

I switched from right to left had retrieve (I am very right handed) close to 10 years ago. I can now do it ok without thinking about it but I will never be totally comfortable cranking or other faster retrieves. There is only one way to switch and that is switch! Get a nice left hand reel and use nothing else for at least a year. Is it worth it? It was pretty necessary for me but yes I think it is. Besides it gave me an excuse to get all new reels!

JDLaman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by JDLaman » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:32 pm

I made the switch several years ago and have never looked back. It did not take me long at all to get comfortable with reeling lefty.

I am right handed and while I don't mind reeling righty it is much easier for me to reel lefty. I no longer own any right hand retrieve reels.

pro reel
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by pro reel » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:44 pm

Afrayedknot wrote:I have used righty baitcasting reels for a while now, and ever since I have been viewing tackletour stuff (2-3 years ago, I became a member earlier this year in the "offseason" 8-) ) I have been wanting to switch to lefty reels. I am right handed, so I have to cast then switch hands, then switch hands again to cast, and so on which gets annoying for me when I am trying to cast fast or repetitively. Casting is slower, pitching is slower - everything is slower! :lol: I use lefty w/ spinning reels and it is soooo much more convenient to be able to cast immediately after retrieve. Also, it does not feel weird with a spinning reel.

I have tried a few lefty reels, but they just feels so weird when reeling. My right hand (now palming the reel) wants to move kind of in a circular motion to help my uncoordinated-at-reeling left hand out. Also, setting the hook seems weird cause I normally swing to the right, or upper-right, but I would have to swing the other way with a lefty.

Anyone who has made the switch from righty to lefty: Do these motions become more comfortable in time? Does it begin to feel normal?

I am planning on making the switch in a few months with maybe a tatula or something.

Thanks for all help!
I'm a diehard right handed cranker of right handed reels. I cast both spinning and cranking reels with my right hand. I switch the casting reels to my left palm to crank them. I leave spinning reels in my right hand and crank them with my left hand. I have no problem doing that with spinning reels, and agree that it's faster to not switch, because I keep the spinning rig held by the right had in the same place during casting and cranking. Thats easy and comfortable to do with spinning because it hangs under your hand and the frame stem is cradled between your fingers. It's balanced and comfortable. The same is not true for casting reels. I have tried lefties and immediatly discounted the idea that there was any speed benefit to not switching hands with them. When I cast a right handed reel with my right hand, the swap to the left palm happens during the cast as part of the motion and the switch takes place seamlessly as the bait hits the water. During the last part of the cast both hands are on the reel. the thumb slows the bait and as it touchs the water, the right hand goes to the crank and engages the reel. Now, the idea behind a lefty being faster or having less steps involved is based on the idea that the reel will stay in the right hand and you simply have to bring your left hand up to crank the reel. Thats only true if you continue to hold the rig by the rods handle behind the reel with your finger on the rods trigger. This is a very uncomfortable way to hold a casting rig during cranking and setting of the hook. You stated earlier, in the highlighted section, that you palm the lefty reel in your right hand. The only way to do that actually involves more time and more steps than just to continue using right handed reels and doing the mid air swap. To palm a lefty reel in your right hand you must first cast the rig with your right hand, then you have to switch the rig to your left hand, while you move your right hand up to palm the reel, then you can move your left hand back to the cranking position. Thats a lot of steps.

JDLaman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by JDLaman » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:58 pm

pro reel wrote: To palm a lefty reel in your right hand you must first cast the rig with your right hand, then you have to switch the rig to your left hand, while you move your right hand up to palm the reel, then you can move your left hand back to the cranking position. Thats a lot of steps.
I use left hand retrieve reels and palm the reel with my right hand when I cast. My left hand is on the butt of the rod at the beginning of the cast and then moves to the cranking position while the lure is in flight. My right hand never changes position and I am ready to crank the second the bait hits the water. I never switch the rig to my left hand.

buster 2900
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by buster 2900 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:01 pm

I'm left handed, and so my left arm is dominant. I learned how to fish at an early age and the only reel available for me was a right-hand round baitcast reel. So that's how I learned, casting with my stronger left hand and arm and cranking with my right hand. It seemed completely natural to me, in both controlling the rod with my stronger left arm and in cranking with the right hand. Many years later it still does. I've never even considered using a left-hand reel.

This method feels so natural that my guess is that it can surely not only be learned in reverse by a right-handed angler but also in time become very comfortable.

kingkong
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kingkong » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:27 pm

I was in your shoes once. Yes it did feel weird switching right to left but it's because I was so used to the right handed reels. As time flew it became a Natural thing for me (right handed). Since then I haven't look back.

Wachtel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Wachtel » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:38 pm

I'm very right-handed and used "the switch hand" technique for many years. But when left handed casting reels became more available I bought one and now all my casting reels are leftys. I don't move my right hand when casting and reeling, prefer the palming grip for all my reels.

You got good advice in the first answer. Just practice :D

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:51 pm

pro reel wrote:
Afrayedknot wrote:I have used righty baitcasting reels for a while now, and ever since I have been viewing tackletour stuff (2-3 years ago, I became a member earlier this year in the "offseason" 8-) ) I have been wanting to switch to lefty reels. I am right handed, so I have to cast then switch hands, then switch hands again to cast, and so on which gets annoying for me when I am trying to cast fast or repetitively. Casting is slower, pitching is slower - everything is slower! :lol: I use lefty w/ spinning reels and it is soooo much more convenient to be able to cast immediately after retrieve. Also, it does not feel weird with a spinning reel.

Thanks for all help!
I'm a diehard right handed cranker of right handed reels. I cast both spinning and cranking reels with my right hand. I switch the casting reels to my left palm to crank them. I leave spinning reels in my right hand and crank them with my left hand. I have no problem doing that with spinning reels, and agree that it's faster to not switch, because I keep the spinning rig held by the right had in the same place during casting and cranking. That's easy and comfortable to do with spinning because it hangs under your hand and the frame stem is cradled between your fingers. It's balanced and comfortable. The same is not true for casting reels. I have tried lefties and immediately discounted the idea that there was any speed benefit to not switching hands with them. When I cast a right handed reel with my right hand, the swap to the left palm happens during the cast as part of the motion and the switch takes place seamlessly as the bait hits the water. During the last part of the cast both hands are on the reel. the thumb slows the bait and as it touches the water, the right hand goes to the crank and engages the reel. Now, the idea behind a lefty being faster or having less steps involved is based on the idea that the reel will stay in the right hand and you simply have to bring your left hand up to crank the reel. That's only true if you continue to hold the rig by the rods handle behind the reel with your finger on the rods trigger. This is a very uncomfortable way to hold a casting rig during cranking and setting of the hook. You stated earlier, in the highlighted section, that you palm the lefty reel in your right hand. The only way to do that actually involves more time and more steps than just to continue using right handed reels and doing the mid air swap. To palm a lefty reel in your right hand you must first cast the rig with your right hand, then you have to switch the rig to your left hand, while you move your right hand up to palm the reel, then you can move your left hand back to the cranking position. Thats a lot of steps.
I will only keep my hand on the reel through the casting moting when doing long casting techniques. If it is short casting stuff like short roll casts to cover where I need the bait to fall in silently, then I will keep my hand on the reel.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:17 pm

pro reel wrote:
I'm a diehard right handed cranker of right handed reels. I cast both spinning and cranking reels with my right hand. I switch the casting reels to my left palm to crank them. I leave spinning reels in my right hand and crank them with my left hand. I have no problem doing that with spinning reels, and agree that it's faster to not switch, because I keep the spinning rig held by the right had in the same place during casting and cranking. Thats easy and comfortable to do with spinning because it hangs under your hand and the frame stem is cradled between your fingers. It's balanced and comfortable. The same is not true for casting reels. I have tried lefties and immediatly discounted the idea that there was any speed benefit to not switching hands with them. When I cast a right handed reel with my right hand, the swap to the left palm happens during the cast as part of the motion and the switch takes place seamlessly as the bait hits the water. During the last part of the cast both hands are on the reel. the thumb slows the bait and as it touchs the water, the right hand goes to the crank and engages the reel. Now, the idea behind a lefty being faster or having less steps involved is based on the idea that the reel will stay in the right hand and you simply have to bring your left hand up to crank the reel. Thats only true if you continue to hold the rig by the rods handle behind the reel with your finger on the rods trigger. This is a very uncomfortable way to hold a casting rig during cranking and setting of the hook. You stated earlier, in the highlighted section, that you palm the lefty reel in your right hand. The only way to do that actually involves more time and more steps than just to continue using right handed reels and doing the mid air swap. To palm a lefty reel in your right hand you must first cast the rig with your right hand, then you have to switch the rig to your left hand, while you move your right hand up to palm the reel, then you can move your left hand back to the cranking position. Thats a lot of steps.

I have had a similar experience. On smaller sized baitcasters I palm them so far forward that I would have to move my hand either way so I just do the swap. I really don't notice any issues on longer casts whatsoever. When pitching and flipping I do find it a bit cumbersome, but I mostly bank fish or fish up north so I use this technique very infrequently.

With larger reels like a Lexa 300 I palm them much further back. I just learned to cast backwards. Just like learning to reel backwards it just takes time. Turn the breaks up during practice because you will likely backlash more frequently while learning.

DaveJ
Last edited by IlliniDawg01 on Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:46 pm

"I don't like change!"

I have enough problems in my life...I don't need to create any new ones. ;)

even26
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by even26 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:43 am

patience... Imo, the transition varies with each individual. Its more muscle memory than psychological. Good luck!

vinnieb729
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by vinnieb729 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:05 am

Try casting with your left hand before buying new reels. You might find it equally tough or easier than trying to reel with your left hand. I like reeling with my right hand but became a switch hitter... 8-[ ... for casting…

Try 2 handed sidearm lobbing the bait out there to get a feel for it then work on distance and accuracy…plus being versatile getting the bait where you want it regardless of boat position, other people in the boat or obstructions (trees/docks) is more important to me than what hand I crank the reel with.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:38 am

Just ordered my first lefty reel! Hope this works out OK cause I really wanna make the switch.