Snook, and others...

Show off your latest and greatest catch, purchase, or acquisition with fellow TT Forum members.
PCSnooker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Snook, and others...

Post by PCSnooker » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:07 am

First evening fishing the new t3 and I must say I dig it quite a bit.

hotdogin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hotdogin » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:09 pm

I've been talking about it too much and this just confirms it; very soon I'm just going to cave in and go Tatula crazy!

PCSnooker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PCSnooker » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:57 am

Best buds...

PCSnooker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PCSnooker » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:03 am

I love being able to fish everyday on my lunch breaks.

PCSnooker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PCSnooker » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:01 am

New acquisition... 13 fishing 7'7" omen green casting rod of the mh persuasion.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:09 am

hotdogin wrote:I've been talking about it too much and this just confirms it; very soon I'm just going to cave in and go Tatula crazy!
It really is a sweet rod and reel model. If it stays in the market for 5+ years, who knows how many I will end up buying.. :lol:

PCSnooker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PCSnooker » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:50 am

Afrayedknot wrote:
hotdogin wrote:I've been talking about it too much and this just confirms it; very soon I'm just going to cave in and go Tatula crazy!
It really is a sweet rod and reel model. If it stays in the market for 5+ years, who knows how many I will end up buying.. :lol:
Agreed. I've fished the tatula on all the rods that I own and while I like the reel on all of them there's just something about the feel of the combo when they're paired together. As a side note, the t3 feels amazing on my 7'2" mh regular action tatula rod and makes an amazing jerkbait, light top water combo.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:25 pm

Great fish and fishing!!!

How would you rate snook vs. sea trout by pound per pound fish size? Are they better fighting?

PCSnooker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PCSnooker » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:38 am

Cracker wrote:Great fish and fishing!!!

How would you rate snook vs. sea trout by pound per pound fish size? Are they better fighting?
Snook are much harder fighting than a trout for sure. Thing of them as oversized pissed off bass really as they tend to hang around cover in very much the same ways bass do, and also run straight for cover once hooked. The jack crevalle in the last picture is probably, lb for lb one of the top 5 hardest fighting fish in salt water. Jacks weighing 30-40 lbs are pretty common here on the treasure coast and can take upwards of an hour to get to the boat depending on the tackle you pin them on.

jamesdta
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jamesdta » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:13 am

PCSnooker wrote:New acquisition... 13 fishing 7'7" omen green casting rod of the mh persuasion.

How's the omen green?

PCSnooker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PCSnooker » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:44 am

I like it a lot.... I'll get more in depth a little later. I'm fishing at the moment :-)

white84z
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by white84z » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:16 am

Ok, it's later. Let's hear about that omen green!

PCSnooker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PCSnooker » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:06 pm

Ok, here it goes. This is my first rod from 13, though probably wont be my last and my first ever rod review so bear with me...

Build quality: The cork is of good quality, better than a lot that I've seen, especially at its price point. The blank is dead straight as are the guides. There is no excess epoxy anywhere and everything fits up nice and snug. No exposed threads in the seat. I really like 13's proprietary components and feel that it really sets them apart from most.

Weight, balance: Though I don't have a scale to weigh the rod, it feels to me, to be close to the phenix m1, 7'8" Heavy that I've got ,but feel that more of the weight is closer to the handle. It balances nicely with either the tatula or zillion on it. The t3 was a bit light for the rod making it feel a bit more tip heavy. Balance, in my eyes, is much much more important than overall lightness.

Action: It's reported as being a fast action rod, and I'd have to agree. It does however have a nice light tip that loads easily with baits within it's lure rating, but will load pretty darn well with lighter baits with a little extra snap in the casting motion. Compared to my phenix the omen has a lighter tip, and a bit more backbone which was a welcome surprise. The phenix however casts heavier baits more comfortably than the omen in my hands. I'm a two handed caster mostly with a pretty quick casting motion. I love the omen for working my go to bait which is a jighead and some sort of soft plastic body; mostly small paddle tails and straight jerk baits.

Sensitivity: It's a sensitive rod. Equal to, and maybe a bit more so than the tatulas, but I'd like a little more time with it before I really make up my mind. Might have to do some bass fishing with them before I can really draw that line because salt water predators aren't typically very shy on taking the bait when they do. A pretty solid "wham" is what you'll mostly feel in the salt.

Aesthetics: If you don't mind small fore grips, and tastefully done and colorful winding checks and but cap it looks pretty darn good. Looks great with a black reel to me so the tatula is probably going to stay on her, unless I get my hands on a zillion type r.

Ergonomics: Not too much to say here, the height of the reel seat feels pretty normal to me, comperable, maybe a little lower than a fuji acs though not as extreme in it's design. It is however also a little narrower with nice cutouts for blank access, but as long as you're comfortable with a skeleton seat there shouldn't be any problem with it's feel . The eva fore grip provides a nice place to rest your fore finger as long and you're ok with fore grips this one is quite nice and doesn't seem to be as, um, useless as the one on the m1.

That's all I can really think of at the moment but if there's something that I've missed or something more specific feel free to ask... I'll try to get some more detailed pics of the rod.

white84z
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by white84z » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:13 am

Awesome review. I emailed Matt At 13 fishing about the medium action for casting 1/8 oz jigheads and plastics and he said even though it's rated at 3/8 it's tip is limber enough to cast stuff around 1/4 with just a little more effort. Are you using any leaders or tying straight braid?

PCSnooker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PCSnooker » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:42 am

I add a few feet of either 20 or 30 lb seguar floro depending on targeted or most likely to catch species and conditions.