Prop bait that walks?

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
biggs
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Prop bait that walks?

Post by biggs » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:47 am

Anybody know of any??
All I can think of are maybe the Heddon Torpedo's but I don't even know if they will walk?
I am guessing that it would have to be a single prop bait. I had a bunch of success with both walking and prop baits this past year and was wondering if there are a few baits that do both??
Last edited by biggs on Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Prop bait that walks?

Post by Bootytrain » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:10 am

Shimano triple impact might do what you are wanting. I bought a couple out of impulse. It floats and had a prop in the back and when you reel it in it wiggles side to side.

The Doc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by The Doc » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:41 am

Barry's prop bait. The round bodied one. I love the TGO color and his bluegill...

zenbassr
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zenbassr » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:22 am

biggs wrote:All I can think of are maybe the Heddon Torpedo's but I don't even know if they will walk?
try the Heddon Wounded Spook... ;)

johns
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by johns » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:26 am

buzzjet

biggs
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by biggs » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:05 am

I'm thinking something that walks more like a spook.

Thanks for the recommendations so far.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:42 am

What about the Lucky Craft Waketail 85. Looks just like a Sammy with a prop on the tail. Seems like a good one for what you are looking for.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:48 pm

The wounded spook is the only one I know of that walks without trying to force it, you can get a torpedo to walk but you have to force it and what I mean by that is you have move the rod tip left and right as you are twitching.

Zimbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Zimbass » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:43 pm

zenbassr wrote:
biggs wrote:All I can think of are maybe the Heddon Torpedo's but I don't even know if they will walk?
try the Heddon Wounded Spook... ;)
Listen to the Zen man. It is THE one !

biggs
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by biggs » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:48 am

Thanks guys!

I'll pick up a Heddon Wounded Spook and I am also a little intrigued by the LC Waketail.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:35 am

I like the Smithwick Devils Horse but never tried to walk one. Anyone ever try it?

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:02 pm

Got a Deps BuzzJet Jr. one of the suggested retrieves on the package is Dog Walking. Going to try.

kgasuns
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by kgasuns » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:47 am

Both sizes of Buzzjet are walkable, but a tad slower than a classical walker, that is with short pauses in between. But they fit in nicely, because Buzzjet has a strong rolling "instinct", so it would still attract fish during the pause with it's roll.

Lucky Craft Waketail 85 does not walk as much as it submerges with it's tip into water, and then the tail follows with a sexy splash. Not that it was not likeable, but I prefer more walking ones, so I sold it.

Shimano Triple Impact is another option. I have 120 size, and it is not mush of a walker. Again, that is more of those, that go with the nose down. Much like described Waketail. But if I remember correctly it might had more of walking action than Waketail did. Not sure though.

Megabass Prop Darter is probably the greatest prop-walker that comes to my mind. But keep in mind, that it would be a very erratic walker, and it also submerges nose down. Try to imagine those both things together - darting with nose down and going to sides kind a walker style. (And splashing with propeller, of course.) "Walks" are irregular - you never know which side or how far they would be. But fish does not seem to mind. Quite contrary.

Then there is also Megabass Scream-X, which is another of those ultra-sexy baits. It is a tad heavier. More in the direction of full sized Buzzjet. But unlike Buzzjet you can play it at whatever speed. It has a feature of walking almost on the same spot (much like turning from side to side). Another bait that can be made to roll during pause.
Although I am more inclined toward Scream-X Orca - it is not a prop-bait properly, but that tail behind it works in a very similar fashion. The sexyness of the sound of that tail is just godly.

FLT Garrison Prop version is another adorable prop-bait, that just makes you want to jump for it, if you put yourself into fish's shoes. It has the famos FLT gracious movement (which qualifies as walking of a sort) + splash. Also requires pauses, you cannot work it really fast.
Last edited by kgasuns on Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

kgasuns
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by kgasuns » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:55 am

And then there is also Deps Spiral Minnow. Not much of a walker. More like a roller during a pause. Quite heavy, strong resistance, when jerked. But boy does it roll!

I am a big Tsunekichi fan, so I have tried to twitch their Betta minnow propeller version (whatever the full hame was - which is one of the longest in hardbait world). It also darts to sides erratically, splashes like there is a predator fish chasing baitfish at the surface. But have not been very successful with this.

So after all these experiments MB PropDarter and both sizes of Buzzjet are my personal favorites.

kgasuns
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by kgasuns » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:05 am

Then there are also prop-baits based on MB Vision shape and Imakatsu RipRizer (forgot the names, they are easy to find), but I have not tried these yet.