Question for the daiwa guys

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Question for the daiwa guys

Post by 5bites » Wed May 07, 2014 4:09 am

This may sound dumb but am I the only one that has wondered how an aluminum inductor functions with magnetic brakes? Special magnetic aluminum alloy? As a machinist this would be a first for me.

If this is a reasonably attainable material the next question is why aren't people making custom inductors?

Redfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Question for the daiwa guys

Post by Redfish » Wed May 07, 2014 7:35 am

The braking system works because the non magnetic material put in close proximity to a magnet produces a different type of current (eddy currents) that cause the resistance that causes the braking. That is the highly watered down version, I am sure it could much more indepth but that is the easy answer.

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Wed May 07, 2014 8:32 am

But what are the magnets pulling on? I always had in mind that the inductor was what the magnets pulled on the slow the spool.

smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by smalliesteve » Sun May 11, 2014 2:15 pm

The aluminum is not affected by magnets, but the electrons in the aluminum are. Anytime you move a electrically conductive material through a magnetic field, you generate electrical current in the conductor. When the inductor enters the magnetic field between the to magnets on the side plate, current travels around it.
Electrical currents also generate magnetic fields, and the magnetic forces they generate act in the opposite direction of the magnetic field that created the electric current. So now you have two magnetic fields "fighting" each other, which for our purposes creates brakes.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun May 11, 2014 2:54 pm

smalliesteve wrote:The aluminum is not affected by magnets, but the electrons in the aluminum are. Anytime you move a electrically conductive material through a magnetic field, you generate electrical current in the conductor. When the inductor enters the magnetic field between the to magnets on the side plate, current travels around it.
Electrical currents also generate magnetic fields, and the magnetic forces they generate act in the opposite direction of the magnetic field that created the electric current. So now you have two magnetic fields "fighting" each other, which for our purposes creates brakes.
Looks like a question for an "engineer guy"...not just a Daiwa guy. =D>

tt350z
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tt350z » Sun May 11, 2014 3:01 pm

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun May 11, 2014 3:04 pm

New marketing should read: "opposing magnetic field braking system"

Wonder if the mag DC braking system in the Shimanos work similarly?

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Sun May 11, 2014 4:09 pm

I don't think the magnets are "pulling" anything. I think the magnetic field is actually pushing on the spool.

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Sun May 11, 2014 11:24 pm

smalliesteve wrote:The aluminum is not affected by magnets, but the electrons in the aluminum are. Anytime you move a electrically conductive material through a magnetic field, you generate electrical current in the conductor. When the inductor enters the magnetic field between the to magnets on the side plate, current travels around it.

Thank you for this explanation. It's clear as mud. :)

Seriously though I see what you are saying in a round about way. It does tempt me into modifying or making my own inductors to see what the results are. It seems like ChuckE tried this without success.

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Mon May 12, 2014 3:35 am

tywithay wrote:I don't think the magnets are "pulling" anything. I think the magnetic field is actually pushing on the spool.

X2 ....that is eaxactly what the magforce magnets are doing....but I will let it go at that...as my description of the new marketing phrase "Airbrake" a few weeks ago was totally miscontrued and apparently the magforce magnets no longer play a part in anything to do with SV spools...or at least some want you to believe that they have disappeared.