Is it Daiwa, Shimano, or someone else?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.

Which reel manufacturer is your favorite?

Daiwa
44%
Shimano
46%
Abu Garcia
3%
Quantum
1%
Pfleuger
0%
Ardent
No votes
Lew's
3%
Okuma
0%
Pinnacle
0%
Wright & McGill
No votes
US Reels
No votes
13 Fishing
3%

Total votes: 714

CaptBob
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Is it Daiwa, Shimano, or someone else?

Post by CaptBob » Sat May 31, 2014 3:03 am

The problem is are we voting for spinning or for casting??? I have found out a long time ago no company does everything the best, period. I have two companies that I choose when I am buying reels today, one builds the best spinning gear period, even if I don't use their very best, dollar for dollar I fish the best available close to what I pay. That goes for casting gear also, I won't spend over $300.00 for a reel and the ones I do spend 300 on, are as good as any other brand can offer for twice that cost. So I voted for casting gear.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:38 am

It used to be Shimano, but after getting a Steez, Zillion Type-R, and a TD-Z I'ZE Personal, it's Daiwa all the way.

For spinning I've been using Pflueger Patriarchs, which have been awesome till recently. I think a bearing is going out on each of mine, they sound more like a coffee grinder than usual :lol: Very distinct click when reeling in, especially under load.

rdrblck66
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by rdrblck66 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:46 am

Daiwa all the way! SS SV 103h is my favorite. I also love my Tatula type r. Great reels!

Crappielimits
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Crappielimits » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:59 am

Shimano has never let me down and I fish many of my reels in fresh and salt. I have a 25 year old Calcutta that has caught 40 inch reds, a 47 inch cobia, 20 pound stripers and many many other fish. Cool thing is I bought it damaged from a spooling machine and it has never seen a reel repair man. I have another Calcutta I found on a vacant lot that had been there for at least 2 years on an all star rod propped up next to a tree. I cleaned the mold and mildew off, then lubed it and put new line on it. I took it out in December as a backup reel while hybrid fishing. I ended up using it all week, it was as smooth as new. Caught over 100 stripers and hybrids on that sucker that week. Now my pastors son has been using it fishing bass tournaments. Not to mention the distance between Shimano spinning reels and competitors.

slideaction
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by slideaction » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:09 pm

Shimano for now, changed from a luna to Calcuttate and never looked back. Ive got a zillion ive yet to use and have mixed ffeelings for the shimano e series, however what wins me over is the ease of maintenance and reel cleaning that i can do on my own. Thanks to the youtube vid from shimano. I guess its the "catch a fish for man or teach him to fish" theory for except it in cleaning reels instead.

bradjames12
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bradjames12 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:47 pm

Shimano... Have Curado E7s, one Curado E5 and a Shimano Saros 1000

madlodger
Angler
Angler

Post by madlodger » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:39 am

Shimano for spinning.
Daiwa for casting.
:D

TNBassin
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by TNBassin » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:54 am

I am definitely a Shimano guy. I just ordered a Tatula though so that may end up changing lol.

ecpirates96
Angler
Angler

Post by ecpirates96 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:29 pm

I have used Penn, Pfluger, Okuma and Shimano. I have had less line twist and wind nots using Shimano with Fins Windtamer line. It may be the line also but I will not use anything but Shimano from now on.

jeff h
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jeff h » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:38 pm

Daiwa for me. All Daiwa's for casting and spinning. I do use some of my old Shimano Castaics for pitching and flipping but most of my fishing is done with a Daiwa in hand! :D

Sharkie
Angler
Angler

Post by Sharkie » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:01 am

To be frank shimano is the best reel company or should i say best as compared to others. Trustworthy.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:23 am

Shimano gets my vote for now since i have the most of those. Daiwa close 2nd. I may have a few more daiwas by the end of the year so i may have to change my vote. I love old Abus and have a few of those, but the new stuff isn't my cup of tea. Doyo is a doyo whether its a revo, lews or pflueger imho. Same with banax. Ok reels for the money but not even close to a nice shimano or daiwa.

YELOSUB
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by YELOSUB » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:34 am

Having been a Shimano user since a very young age, now 46, I recently made the switch exclusively over to all Daiwa (rods/reels) and I couldn't be happier...Daiwa is my new love!

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:26 am

Shimano's current lineup beats all others IMO. Not a weak reel on the roster. I have a couple of Daiwas and ABUs but the new gen shimanos cant be beat. Daiwa is starting to go backwards IMO. The new zillion having to share the same frame as the Tatula? Come on Daiwa, you can do better than that.

breamtim
Angler
Angler

Post by breamtim » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:19 pm

In Australia with the bream guys DAIWA is preferred, but I've voted Shimano as its what I use.