Fish attractant?

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Fish attractant?

Post by Johnny A » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:01 am

I use the Berkley Gulp craw in the winter. Whether it improves my confidence or really puts the bass over the edge, I couldn't tell you.

Bassfan22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bassfan22 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:25 am

I use megastrike on everything all the time. I tried smelly yelly but man that stuff stinks. I couldn't get rid of the smell on my car for days.

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:41 am

I use Bang and love it.

Cleaned out my boat last week and had a can go off in my car. Darned if I didn't almost crash haha. Luckily it was all contained in my bag.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:12 pm

Smelly Jelly, but I only add a little on jig heads since the stuff is horrible to get on you hands.

Smell my finger.

hawkoath
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hawkoath » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:59 pm

Smelly Jelly garlic for trout and herring for saltwater

TackleJ
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by TackleJ » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:41 am

I've used Pro Cure for a a long time on tubes.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:30 pm

So, do you guys prefer gel or spray? I can see the pros and cons of both but havent really used attractants.

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:25 am

ccass wrote:So, do you guys prefer gel or spray? I can see the pros and cons of both but havent really used attractants.
Depends on how much of a mess you want in the boat. Believe me that no matter what you do, if you use spray, you will end up with oily residue on your boat. :( Call it overspray.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:40 am

What scents do you feel work? Which ones you feel are just gimmicks?

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:29 am

ccass wrote:What scents do you feel work? Which ones you feel are just gimmicks?
I think Gulp works. I think Bang works. I have friends who swear by Smelly Jelly.

hawkoath
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hawkoath » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:19 am

ccass wrote:So, do you guys prefer gel or spray? I can see the pros and cons of both but haven't really used attractants.
I shy away from the spray and only use gels and oils. Gels mainly for lures as I feel that they stick to the surface better and I am mostly depending on the action and presentation of the lure not so much the scent though it does help. I use oil when I want to submerge/marinate plastics both in saltwater and freshwater and in situations where I really want a quick and powerful dispersement of scent.

hawkoath
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hawkoath » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:22 am

ccass wrote:What scents do you feel work? Which ones you feel are just gimmicks?
The ones I have seen at stores all have worked. Garlic, Anise, Herring, Tuna, etc... have all helped in one way or the other. It does depend on the conditions though. If conditions are optimal and you have an entire stretch of water to yourself it doesn't really matter what you use, but if conditions are harsher and it's combat fishing - then every little advantage helps.

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:21 am

Old school WD40 ](*,)

I don't use it when I'm shore fishing but on the boat I might bring something I have some smelly jelly but damn does it stink

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Tue May 05, 2015 3:25 am

Bassmar wrote:
ccass wrote:So, do you guys prefer gel or spray? I can see the pros and cons of both but havent really used attractants.
Depends on how much of a mess you want in the boat. Believe me that no matter what you do, if you use spray, you will end up with oily residue on your boat. :( Call it overspray.
KVD fish sticks eliminated the gel on my fingers or spray everywhere conundrum for me. Easy to apply and works well.

I also like JJ's magic dye, but be careful as if that gets on your boat/shirt/whatever, it will be there permanently.

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Mon May 11, 2015 11:02 am

Using an attractant with a Vaseline type of consistency on big soft swimbaits is a pretty common practice. Regardless of your beliefs on whether or not it helps the fish bite, the idea is to make the bait slicker as to allow it to slide better in the fishes mouth on the hookset. I do believe at the very least, an attractant can't hurt and it may actually help the fish commit to a bait, particularly those slow moving baits. I use Pro Cure super gel. I actually have a re-up coming tomorrow, the Hudd bite has been epic for me so far this spring and I ran through quite a bit.

Here's a pro tip. To apply, find yourself a small glass jar with a sealable lid. Next get a smaller wooden handled pain brush and cut it so that the overall length is about the depth of the jar (slightly shorter is probably better than slightly longer) and screw it to the inside of the lid in the center. Then put your scent into the jar and voila, awesome system for applying messy scents to your baits.

*edit* This discussion motivated me to shoot a quick vid I've been meaning to shoot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_OzvJIAkns