Alphas SV vs MG Zonda 68

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Alphas SV vs MG Zonda 68

Post by silversix » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:10 pm

They're both in the same price range. Which one would be better for light lures (under 3/8oz) and is more refined? Im aware of the SV spool being pretty good for lighter stuff but how would the Zonda 68 fare against it? Can i get an SV spool for the Zonda68? If so, would it outcast the Alphas?

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Alphas SV vs MG Zonda 68

Post by cndbasshunter » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:54 pm

Get the megabass for sure.....the alphas sv is just meh. You can find a sv spool for the mb easily :mrgreen:

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:17 pm

cndbasshunter wrote:Get the megabass for sure.....the alphas sv is just meh. You can find a sv spool for the mb easily :mrgreen:
Any SV spool that fits the Ryoga 1016 would fit the Zonda68? Can't seem to find what spool would fit in that reel.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:59 pm

I have never been imoressed with the looks of the Zonda. Other than the clear sidplate, I think the Alphas SV is a better looking reel. Also, the fast that the Alphas has the SV spool factory and can be had for under $200. The Alphas also has the fast gear ratio. Some have said that they have been having some weird issues with the Alphas, but I have been using mine quite a bit and have had zero problems.

MondayMonkey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MondayMonkey » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:09 pm

silversix wrote:
cndbasshunter wrote:Get the megabass for sure.....the alphas sv is just meh. You can find a sv spool for the mb easily :mrgreen:
Any SV spool that fits the Ryoga 1016 would fit the Zonda68? Can't seem to find what spool would fit in that reel.

The Zonda is built on the Alphas platform so they share spools.

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:53 pm

X2

Definitely go zonda and put the alphas sv spool in :big grin:

Tavery5
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tavery5 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:58 pm

silversix wrote:They're both in the same price range. Which one would be better for light lures (under 3/8oz) and is more refined? Im aware of the SV spool being pretty good for lighter stuff but how would the Zonda 68 fare against it? Can i get an SV spool for the Zonda68? If so, would it outcast the Alphas?
If you use the spool from the Alphas SV in a Zonda they are going to cast very much the same. During casting everything else is disengaged.

MondayMonkey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MondayMonkey » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:17 am

Tavery5 wrote:
silversix wrote:They're both in the same price range. Which one would be better for light lures (under 3/8oz) and is more refined? Im aware of the SV spool being pretty good for lighter stuff but how would the Zonda 68 fare against it? Can i get an SV spool for the Zonda68? If so, would it outcast the Alphas?
If you use the spool from the Alphas SV in a Zonda they are going to cast very much the same. During casting everything else is disengaged.

But he'll look a lot better doing it ;)

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:14 am

Would this spool fit into the Zonda? Or do i need an SV spool that is made for Alphas since they share same spools? I want some purple spool for it!

http://jpangler.com/index.php/rcs-bait- ... urple.html

igl00jx
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by igl00jx » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:23 am

silversix wrote:Would this spool fit into the Zonda? Or do i need an SV spool that is made for Alphas since they share same spools? I want some purple spool for it!

http://jpangler.com/index.php/rcs-bait- ... urple.html
You'll need the Alphas spool for your Zonda. The Zonda is based off the Alphas platform.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:00 am

The purple Alphas SV spool should be released shortly. Keep an eye on the jdm sites

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:04 am

spookybaits wrote:The purple Alphas SV spool should be released shortly. Keep an eye on the jdm sites
Hedgehog has them.

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:37 am

spookybaits wrote:The purple Alphas SV spool should be released shortly. Keep an eye on the jdm sites
the normal SV wouldn't work?

Tavery5
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tavery5 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:03 am

silversix wrote:
the normal SV wouldn't work?
Same spool different color. Purple would just look better with a Zonda.

Tavery5
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tavery5 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:06 am

MondayMonkey wrote:
Tavery5 wrote:

But he'll look a lot better doing it ;)
That's true, maybe he should look at a Hedgehog.