Alphas SV vs MG Zonda 68

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Alphas SV vs MG Zonda 68

Post by BigG » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:38 pm

silversix wrote:Bought an Airy Red Pixy from ebay for $140USD, hopefully it performs well!
That's a great find. =D>

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:03 pm

Does the Zonda have a clicking drag star?

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:11 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:Does the Zonda have a clicking drag star?
no but can be changed with tackletrap kit

igl00jx
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by igl00jx » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:11 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:Does the Zonda have a clicking drag star?
It does not

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:08 am

The Zonda has cool factor and limited feel. The SV comes with everything you could want in an alphas. Other than bearings and cosmetics, the SV comes tricked to the gills. It is tough to pass on it if you enjoy the alphas platform.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:25 am

Sorry but I just can't imagine the Zonda being a new spool and clicking drag star conversion kit better than the Alphas SV. I know it goes against the grain, but that's a lot of money considering the Alphas is such a capable reel.

Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rippin-lips » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:49 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:Sorry but I just can't imagine the Zonda being a new spool and clicking drag star conversion kit better than the Alphas SV. I know it goes against the grain, but that's a lot of money considering the Alphas is such a capable reel.
You'd have to sink $200 extra to get the SV spool and drag star conversion. That's the price of another Alphas SV. As I mentioned earlier in this thread. The Zonda has a refined feeling, and it's a Megabass reel. However I wasn't too impressed with it. I
I'd buy another SV no questions asked.

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:46 am

BigG wrote:
silversix wrote:Bought an Airy Red Pixy from ebay for $140USD, hopefully it performs well!
That's a great find. =D>
Will a shallow SV spool outcast the stock Pixy spool with light lures (1/8)? Probably not upgrading the spool but just curious =P~

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:30 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:Sorry but I just can't imagine the Zonda being a new spool and clicking drag star conversion kit better than the Alphas SV. I know it goes against the grain, but that's a lot of money considering the Alphas is such a capable reel.
RMCatchNrelease wrote:The Zonda has cool factor and limited feel. The SV comes with everything you could want in an alphas. Other than bearings and cosmetics, the SV comes tricked to the gills. It is tough to pass on it if you enjoy the alphas platform.
One other plus for the zonda (and for me it's a pretty big one)- it has a deep spool, making it much more versatile. For example I can load up the Zonda with 14lb mono and go bomb 3/4oz Zara spooks. Casting range sweet spot seems to be 1/4oz-1oz.
And I can drop $60 and get an SV spool for the lighter stuff, further extending the versatility.
Whereas with the alphas SV- you can't buy the MB deep spool.
The 6.8:1 gear ratio is also really versatile as well.

*Not putting down the alphas SV in any way, I've never even owned one so I can't say how much better the zonda feels.
But I can say for certain that my zonda feels amazing- solid, refined, looks rad, great caster & versatile.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:35 am

Agreed. I already had one Alphas SV and had a chance at a NIB Zonda 68 for $185. I bought another Alphas SV instead. I have owned a Zonda before and the SV is a better reel IMHO, mostly due to that special spool. So special in fact,that I just ordered a red SLP red spool for my Finesse Custom. $68 ain't too bad!

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:38 pm

silversix wrote:
BigG wrote:
That's a great find. =D>
Will a shallow SV spool outcast the stock Pixy spool with light lures (1/8)? Probably not upgrading the spool but just curious =P~
Yes the alphas will outcast the stock pixy . I had this dilemma with my px68, on the same rod, same line and alphas won. That little sv spool is extremely versatile.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:43 pm

ss30378 wrote:
silversix wrote:
BigG wrote:
That's a great find. =D>
Yes the alphas will outcast the stock pixy . I had this dilemma with my px68, on the same rod, same line and alphas won. That little sv spool is extremely versatile.
Good to know...really reinforces that my BFS reel will be the Alphas SV, love the one I have.

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:34 pm

ss30378 wrote:
silversix wrote:
BigG wrote:
That's a great find. =D>
well that sucks, i could've gotten the Alphas for much cheaper... Will an Alphas SV spool fit on the Pixy, though? I heard it does. Don't think i'll be buying the spool right away (cuz USD to CAD is too much for now) but may do it in the future especially if the original Pixie's spool is too shallow for 10lb fluoro.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:10 am

The alphas spool is a little larger in diameter so no it wont fit the pixy. The pixy is a little smaller than the alphas and I always loved how little the reel was but true finesse spools are hard to come by for them. You can get a presso spool which is a bit lighter than the pixy spool for 88 bucks (USD) from ichiban last I looked they had one. Another option is the ize finesse spool, also ktf makes an awesome spool but I don't know if they are sold separately from their complete reel.

Or maybe have a machine shop port the stock spool. I sold off my px and got an ss air instead. Works great but miss how small the pixy was...

Lindemann98
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Lindemann98 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:57 am

I read something about "use the SV Spool in a zonda"..
That would be a big mistake, because the magnets in the MB Reel are stronger and they dont work well with the SV Spool... Trust me, I know what I'm talking about :mrgreen:
I've bought an alphas SV105 a few weeks ago. A very nice, high quality reel for a good prize (I've paid 190€.... Euro, because I live in germany ...)
The only thing that was'nt really great was the plastic dragstar ...
But all in all a great reel, wich can be used for lures from 1/8oz up to 1oz ..