Good trailer for swim jig?

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Good trailer for swim jig?

Post by Bass1980 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:41 am

Most will use paddle tails or grubs but at times I use rage craws with good success. Those claws have great action.

Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jdmbassman » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:01 pm

An Evergreen Swimming Trooper with a Keitch Swing Impact Fat 3.8" is the most realistic combo I have used. I had to double take that it was to real fish.

I find the Texas rig setup far more weedless than a weed guard
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (31.07 KiB) Viewed 10951 times
Last edited by Jdmbassman on Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

MTBF
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MTBF » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:20 pm

Every year I add 1 new technique to my arsenal and I try my best to be good at it. This year it was the Swim Jig. For a trailer I kept it simple, PowerTeam Lures 4.8" Swinging Hammer. I cut 1" off the head to the "texas rig line" on the back, thread it on the jig and away we go. I noticed this year that all bass I caught were between that 2lbs to my PB of the trip a 5lb 2oz fish. I would fish them deep or shallow through pad beds and weeds. Caught them both ways, only thing I figured out was to use fluoro down deep (10-18FOW) and to throw the braid through the grass/pads.

Worked really good, these baits don't have salt in them just scent so the durability of the tail is very good. It rocks the jig a inch with some side to side wobble and that attractive boot tail is good at drawing fish from a distance.

Hope this helps
MTBF

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rockchalk06 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:49 pm

Berkley Havoc Subwoofer.

Strong, cheap and they match every swim jig I've ever used. The paddle tail puts off decent vibration. They are unscented too so you can add whatever you like. They make for a good long profile too. I run a 65 strand skirt and on the pop and fall, the skirt flares out and makes it look huge. If you want a smaller profile on it, bite the head off.

Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jdmbassman » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:34 am

What rod / reel combos are you using for your swim jigs ? I'm thinking a 6:3:1 gear ratio but can't decide like Brett Hite to use my Evergreen Super Stallion or my Megabass Extreme Mission or even my Megabass Diablo Fast Move.

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:43 am

I just tried out lunker city swim fish and they are surprisingly good.
Jdmbassman wrote:What rod / reel combos are you using for your swim jigs ? I'm thinking a 6:3:1 gear ratio but can't decide like Brett Hite to use my Evergreen Super Stallion or my Megabass Extreme Mission or even my Megabass Diablo Fast Move.
You know what's better than asking us here? Go out there and try it out your self! When you fish for long enough, you will realize that fishing gear becomes more of a preference than specifics, so you gotta learn how to help your self.

Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jdmbassman » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:49 am

That's right fella. I'm thinking because I like the Evergreen Swimming Trooper where the trailer is Texas Rigged that something with a little more backbone will be needed. The Extreme Mission would be a good rod if I was using an exposed hook with a weed guard setup. I'm coming around to using the Super Stallion after all so I could hook those fish when using the Evergreen Swimming Trooper. Take a look at my previous post that has been updated with a pic of the lure and a Keitch Swing Inpact Fat 3.8"

Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jdmbassman » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:20 am

Here are a couple more colors of the Evergreen Swimming Trooper and Keitch Swimg Impact Fat 3.8"
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (17.22 KiB) Viewed 10922 times

MCS
Angler
Angler

Post by MCS » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:18 am

Swim jigs I like the Gambler EZ swimmer or Fat Albert Grub. For Chatterbaits depending on how I am working them I go with a zoom fluke, Missile d-bomb trailer for the reason the fella mentioned they make their own comotion... or Gambler burner craw if I am popping it off the bottom(sometimes straight retreives if I am lazy) But as I been looking at JDM chatterbaits I am liking the looks of these Fat impacts might need to try some. I also might want to grab some of the missile shockwaves too and use on the swim jigs.

jeff h
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jeff h » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:46 am

[quote="IAY"]I just tried out lunker city swim fish and they are surprisingly good. [quote]

Swimfish has some body roll to it, don't it? I use these a lot on just a weighted hook. Never thought of sticking one on a jig.

Lunker City has another interesting option too...the 4.25" Grubster or maybe even the 4" Swimmin' Ribster.

Montanaro
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Montanaro » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:01 pm

I tried the gambler little ez and its a good trailer. Just as much action as keitech impact.

primus
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by primus » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:06 pm

This year I've had good success cutting off the back end of a Gambler Burner worm.

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:23 pm

Super Fluke on chatter baits

Single tail grub or swim Senko on swim jigs

665 almostevil
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by 665 almostevil » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:48 pm

zoom speed craw is a non swimbait that works well.

poopformayor
Angler
Angler

Post by poopformayor » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:13 am

All time fav would have to be the skinny dipper