Other fly stuff in UL

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
Juxtapoisson
Angler
Angler

Other fly stuff in UL

Post by Juxtapoisson » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:30 am

I have been thinking for a while, and was prompted by the fly question of another post.

Is there anything else besides flies from fly fishing that you have used is UL spin fishing? Has anyone tried the "strike indicators" (or have you simply used a piece of yarn?) or any of that sinking putty? Or anything that might be an interesting conversation?

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Other fly stuff in UL

Post by cst » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:13 pm

I've used the strike indicators but they're not weighted and are hard to cast.

I've used the super tiny split shots. They're awesome. Lots of small splitshots are a lot more snag resistant than one big split shot.

Seaguar Grand Max FX might be a tippet but it is an amazing leader material too. I haven't used it in a while though. I'm not sure how it would compare to Tatsu. At the time I was fishing it, there was no other line as thin and strong as the Grand Max FX.

rickman1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rickman1 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:30 am

I've been making up some various weighted flies using tungsten beads and lead wire for weight. I'm going to use these flies as is under a bobber to see how they work. I guess you could use them with a small split shot on the line to get some extra distance in casting. I'll have to wait and see.

Has anyone checked out the (GASP) Tenkara fishing stuff? Looks interesting.

I've had very good luck using flies on my homemade inline spinners for trout. I managed to catch one LMB (dink) with one last earlier this year in a local river.

Utah Killer Bug. I've tied a couple of these up on #6 and #8 hooks with a tungsten bead head. Looks like a good one. Tenkara guys say this is one of the best producing flies they use.

nctrucker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by nctrucker » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:37 am

making inline spinners makes a lot of monetary sense! we can make a clone of a panther martin for maybe $0.70 instead of $3.79. buy $40 for 10 of 'em or DIY for 7 bucks. and when one hangs up way up in that tree trying to get free from your line and stay out of that cold water it is easier to just let it go free. lol. I've been making a few since George Herter's reign as the worlds greatest purveyor of fishing tackle.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:16 am

For some reason I completely abandoned inline spinners a few years back, in spite of the fact they rarely failed to produce for me. Maybe because I discovered 1.5" Charlie Brewer Slider grubs on a 1/16 oz jighead absolutely slayed them ... May be time to dust off the box of spinners and give them a whirl again.

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:57 am

uljersey wrote:For some reason I completely abandoned inline spinners a few years back, in spite of the fact they rarely failed to produce for me. Maybe because I discovered 1.5" Charlie Brewer Slider grubs on a 1/16 oz jighead absolutely slayed them ... May be time to dust off the box of spinners and give them a whirl again.
Its called " line twist " :) . I own probably close to 100 Roostertails . They were my go to lure . While fishing out of my jonboat , it was common for me to drag a lureless line behind the boat a couple of times while fishing to get the twist out of the line , the Roostertail put in it , but they caught fish !
Now days I'm more of a grub and jig guy ,, when in not throwing hardbaits .
I may have to dig out the spinners and give them another try . Gillchaser

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:48 pm

I do like Joe's Flies spinners...if you can't make your own of this type, though I usually clip off the trailing hook; these come in both weighted and non-weighted varieties.

I used a wide array of lure types, sometimes just due to mood, getting more experience on a technique, but most often to "match the hatch"...whatever the fish were interested in.

Flyrodders generally live by this rule. For fish other than trout, I'm sure that the same holds true...smallmouth and seasonal shad frenzies for example. At other times, the fish don't seem that much different from people...their mood dictating what kind of lure they will take, or in what color.

Recall that there are those 1/32 oz. Rooster Tails with the prop style blade.

The most fun for me was working a small jighead with a short Crème worm. I have to be in the mood to do it right...slow, patient, until a finned friend could no longer resist.

You can do the same tease with a Rapala Countdown in 1/16" size.

For ideas, just look up vintage flyrod lures. Back then it was really hard to throw very light baits...most spinning reels of that era had spools that were deep and narrow for one thing...some were able to throw what we would now consider light baits. You also have to consider the limitations of the era's rods.

But if flyrodders wanted to throw something other than a fly or streamer, they still had to go small so as to not over tax their rods and in keeping with their philosophy of angling.

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:55 am

After looking around a bit, much of the heavier stuff that flyrodders threw is already being made for us in the present. But for those doing super ultralight, or those who add some weight, there is an array. It stands to reason that one could add some weight to the flies themselves...wet flies are heavier than the dry already...fly tiers use lead foil to add a bit of extra weight. Would be interesting to see some tie lures using those ultra small trout magnet jigheads too.

Irideus mosquito larvae

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:59 am

Then there are creepy crawlies...Burke still makes these...haven't seen these Spiders before though.

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:50 am

I tie a lot of 1/80th and 1/100th jigs that mimic flies I've tied and used with a flyrod . I fish these under a weighted foam float for casting . Gillchaser

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:30 am

Very nice!!

I always have appreciated the skill of those who tie, with some near art level lures produced.

I expect that if I tried, the result would look like something that crawled out of a cooling pond at Chernobyl. :o

gillchaser
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gillchaser » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:40 am

Thanks ! As you can see I continue to try and develop and tie the perfect fly/jig . Some produce , some don't . Some are better than others . I target panfish with these , but they catch a variety including several catfish I was surprised to see hit these tiny jigs . Seems like black is the most productive color overall . Gillchaser

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:10 am

Some stuff just works.

One of the least collectable Heddon colors is Red Head, RH in the catalogs...due to it's effectiveness it was made in mass qualities. Actually, the very collectable colors are those that were ho-hum or a bomb since they were made in such small quantities.

Interestingly enough, I gave a friend a Tiny River Runt, 1/4 oz. to try and they caught three bass in short order first time they tried the lure...it was in Red Head color. :D

Smead
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smead » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:36 am

Some Arbogast fly rod sized lures:

Hula Dancer 1 1/2"

Jitterbug

Bryin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bryin » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:30 am

Floatmaster stike incdicators... which are basically slip floats... they come in a variety of sizes to use with different weight jigs or bait. I also use fly tippet in 5x,6x,7x and 8x as line. Nippers also come in very handy. I have a couple of spin rods built on fly rod blanks, when you going xul makes a great rod.