Hammer Rods FLW Review

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Hammer Rods FLW Review

Post by bronzefly » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:36 pm

FLW recently published a review of Hammer Rods that's worth checking out. I've fished a bunch of them and in my opinion they're easily among the best in their price point. I know some Tackle Tour customers who've purchased Hammer Rods from The Tackle Trap and the feedback has been really good in general. The deeper flex of these rods make them very versatile in general which is an added bonus. As with any rod, there are pros and cons for example, some guys don't like the small butt end, some guys do. Post up some experience if you have had the chance to fish these rods, the word is getting out there about them it seems!

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Hammer Rods FLW Review

Post by smalljaw » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:31 am

I was actually thinking the 6'9" heavy elite micro would make a great spook rod. I've been looking at a moderate or moderate fast in a short rod with a heavy power for spooks because most medium power, fast actions can't handle the full size spook and MH fast rods I end up losing fish and it always seems like a good one. One of the reasons I don't like most JDM rods as they kind of fall into that parabolic bend, it makes for awesome versatility but I still can't get use to that while fishing a jig or worm and while I have used a parabolic action for spinnerbaits, it just doesn't seem "right" is you know what I mean. I do think that the 6'9"H Elite micro may end up being my new spook rod though, what do you think, would it be a good fit for heavier walking baits in the 3/4oz realm.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:22 pm

The 69H is a really nice full sized Vixen and Super Spook type rod, especially if you're fishing near standing timber, grass, or something else where you want to move them. If you're using braid and open water, the 69MH can also handle these baits if you like a little softer backbone. I prefer a little heavier powered rod with a nice deeper flex for larger walking baits regardless of the cover around, so I'd opt for the H over the MH.

I certainly understand your point on moderate fast type tapers for bottom contact. I realized that when flipping/pitching heavy grass with braid that a deeper flex to the rod was advantageous rather than a broomstick with a fast taper. Both will get the job done and much of it comes down to personal preference. I've fished a 5" Bull Shad on the 7'3" Heavy for example, then cut that off and went to a 1/2 oz jig for pitching to cover. The flex makes them versatile, but in my hands, it doesn't detract significantly from their capabilities as bottom contact rods. That 69H will move some fish if you wanted to skip docks with a jig and I doubt you'll miss any bites due to a lack of sensitivity. I hope this helps - feel free to contact us anytime about these, we stock the full line.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:37 am

bronzefly wrote:The 69H is a really nice full sized Vixen and Super Spook type rod, especially if you're fishing near standing timber, grass, or something else where you want to move them. If you're using braid and open water, the 69MH can also handle these baits if you like a little softer backbone. I prefer a little heavier powered rod with a nice deeper flex for larger walking baits regardless of the cover around, so I'd opt for the H over the MH.

I certainly understand your point on moderate fast type tapers for bottom contact. I realized that when flipping/pitching heavy grass with braid that a deeper flex to the rod was advantageous rather than a broomstick with a fast taper. Both will get the job done and much of it comes down to personal preference. I've fished a 5" Bull Shad on the 7'3" Heavy for example, then cut that off and went to a 1/2 oz jig for pitching to cover. The flex makes them versatile, but in my hands, it doesn't detract significantly from their capabilities as bottom contact rods. That 69H will move some fish if you wanted to skip docks with a jig and I doubt you'll miss any bites due to a lack of sensitivity. I hope this helps - feel free to contact us anytime about these, we stock the full line.
Thank you for responding, I now have that rod on my radar. For me Spooks are the hardest bait to find a good rod for because I like a rod under 7', and I'm 6'2" but the way I was taught to work those baits and jerkbaits too, makes it hard to use longer rods. For me the heavy power is what I'd be looking at since I use mono for spooks, so the added backbone will be nice. Christmas is coming and I need a few things, I was looking at a 7'ML-F Avid X from St. Croix as a new hair jig rod but I can get but with what I've been using, the spook rod is something I really need. You'll hear from me, I'm glad you posted this and I read the review otherwise I don't think I would have known about the action, thanks!!

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:30 pm

smalljaw wrote: Thank you for responding, I now have that rod on my radar. For me Spooks are the hardest bait to find a good rod for because I like a rod under 7', and I'm 6'2" but the way I was taught to work those baits and jerkbaits too, makes it hard to use longer rods. For me the heavy power is what I'd be looking at since I use mono for spooks, so the added backbone will be nice. Christmas is coming and I need a few things, I was looking at a 7'ML-F Avid X from St. Croix as a new hair jig rod but I can get but with what I've been using, the spook rod is something I really need. You'll hear from me, I'm glad you posted this and I read the review otherwise I don't think I would have known about the action, thanks!!
You're welcome, I'm glad you found it useful! They really are fantastic rods in their price range. As a top water junkie, I understand wanting a great spook rod. I still have an old Loomis CBR 756 that I love for tossing bigger spooks and full sized Vixens at closer range targets. We're the same height and I generally prefer a sub 7' rod for walking baits and jerk baits. The 69H will work great especially using mono. We can help out with the St. Croix too if you decide to double down :lol:

chreim20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by chreim20 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:00 pm

Does the 6'9" heavy have a mod fast tip like the medium heavy or a fast tip?

Thanks,
Christian

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:10 am

chreim20 wrote:Does the 6'9" heavy have a mod fast tip like the medium heavy or a fast tip?

Thanks,
Christian
Hi Christian

It has a moderate fast taper just like the MH.

Hammer Rods @ The Tackle Trap

Great rods, glad to see more interest growing in these...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

chreim20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by chreim20 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:04 am

Thank you! which would you consider a good all around rod?

Christian