Best Frog rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Best Frog rod

Post by Jdmbassman » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:44 pm

Come one, come all and tell me what the best Frog is.

I didn't get a chance to fish a frog this year but looking forward to it next summer so in preparation, let me know the best Frog rod to get.

This will be paired with a Jdream 7.9 and 55lb Samurai.

pharmboy2010
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Best Frog rod

Post by pharmboy2010 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:46 pm

My favorite frog rod is a Dobyns Champ 735C. I have it paired with the same JDream and line and absolutely love it. Has just enough tip to cast and work the frogs perfectly, but tons of backbone to winch them out of the thickest stuff. Very well balanced rod as well.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:11 pm

Something with a soft tip and good backbone. Weight is important too. I wouldn't go over the top for a frog rod. No need for sensitivity . Seeing how you live in WI, you should try a Heavy mod-fast, you will get a longer cast, which is important for frogging. I've used a bunch of different rods. I used a Carrot Stix Med Mod to a Tatula flipping rod. I feel a Mh mod fast would be perfect for us northern anglers.

capt1fish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by capt1fish » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:34 pm

For open water I really liked the Dobyns 735 Champion.

For slop, I went up to the 736c. Seeing how the 736c could be used in both open water and slop, I sold my 735c's.

End of this summer I picked up the 7'4" Zillion frog rod. Didn't get any frog fishing in but did use it for topwater stripers and landed fish over 13lbs on it. I really like that rod a lot. Plenty of power and paired nicely with a Zillion Type R.

665 almostevil
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by 665 almostevil » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:25 pm

I throw the frog a ton and have made some good money on it this year. Call me crazy but i use three different fog set ups. First is my long distance casting rod for medium to light cover IROD freds magic stick. This rod has a great tip and plenty of backbone and for the money is a great rod.For a rod that i am going to throw the majority of the day I go with the steez frog rod because of how light it is. Has plenty of backbone to muscle fish out of slop. This is also my go to dock skipping frog rod. Last but not least I use a IROD stone cold swim jig rod to throw small frogs like the spro baby and jr.The tip is soft enough for you to work the smaller frogs very well and the moderate bend helps keep them on the line with smaller hooks. I went one whole year with out loosing a fish on this setup(lucky i guess).

masterbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by masterbass » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:32 pm

I really love the XX perfect pitch.

DChiWildcats
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DChiWildcats » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:54 pm

I have been using my NRX 873 and really like it for frogs. Have had no problems landing bigger fish over 7 pounds at the Delta and it doubles as my football jig / Texas rig rod on the reservoirs. Kill two birds with one stone.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:19 pm

masterbass wrote:I really love the XX perfect pitch.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:26 pm

May not be the best, but for the money, the 13Fishing Omen 7'6" MH works for me.

pharmboy2010
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by pharmboy2010 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:02 am

I can see the perfect pitch being a great frog rod also.

drewlesch
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by drewlesch » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:11 am

I'll recommend the NRX 916 UBR, mainly because you've got the Super Stallion which should be fine for open water frogging and working tight spaces and you tend towards more finesse applications so the 916 could fill almost all your XH needs. I use mine with 1/2 oz and up hollow body frogs (mainly the Spro Bronzeye), and bomb cast to the backs of lily pad fields. With 7'7" of 6 power rod I can set the hook and drag out anything that swims in that skinny water (Dogfish, Northern, and Bass). I'm 6'3 and the 7'7" length isn't ideal but I can walk a frog in open water, and in those pads. I'm looking forward to trying out the heracles actaeon this coming summer and maybe that'll bump the UBR to mainly heavy bottom contact applications...

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:30 am

cndbasshunter wrote:
X3

Honestly does it all when it comes to frogs.

drewlesch
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by drewlesch » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:49 am

Maybe someone can comment on how the XX pitch perfect and the F7-71x7 differ? I haven't fished either so the grip is obvious, and I'd assume the XXPP to have a better tip for working a frog... Matthew since you have the X7, maybe that's your frog rod?

Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jdmbassman » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:31 am

Thanks for all the feedback. I really do enjoy learning about how to fish these different techniques so keep it coming.

The Megabass F7-71X7 (Aaron Martens) and even the Megabass F5.5-70X7 Diablo Fast Move that I already have should make good Frog rods from other threads that I have read but I am looking for the best :)

The Diablo Fast Move is a contender because up here in the North I understand that the cover doesn't get as bad so as a previous poster said, a MH rod would work.

As for the F7-71X7 (Aaron Martens) then I'm selling because I also have an Evergreen TKLC 71MHX Super Stallion and the latter is said to be more versitile.

Would the TKLC 71MHX Super Stallion make a good Frog rod ?

The Daiwa Steez XBD (STZ741XHFBA-XBD) Frog Rod based on a review by Tackle Tour in 2010 got high marks.

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jpmoney » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:44 am

Teal101 wrote:
cndbasshunter wrote:
X3

Honestly does it all when it comes to frogs.
Another vote for the orochi XX perfect pitch. Best frog rod I have ever used, and doubles very well as a heavy jig rod.