Mephisto owners...

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Mephisto owners...

Post by jmb27 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:59 am

I am excited as a Mephisto C40 Evoluzion is now in the arsenal. I am going to pair it with an IP 68 reel primarily and a Type R for frogs.

I'll be primarily using the rod for smaller swimbaits, frogs, spinnerbaits and swim jigs. How is this rod with jigs on the bottom? I am interested in reading about anyone's thoughts on the sensitivity (and the med fast tip) for bottom contact jigs/t-rigs in the 3/8 to 3/4 oz. range. I use an NRX 853c for jigs/t-rigs in the 3/8 oz and the x-fast tip works great. I am wondering if the Mephisto handles jigs and heavier t-rigs well as opposed to something that it can do in a pinch.

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Mephisto owners...

Post by Bass1980 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:30 am

I was lucky enough to borrow a Evo Mephisto for couple days of testing. Testing it up against the X7 Amart and a XX Perfect Pitch the Mephisto was clearly behind the X7AM in sensitivity. I think the XXPP might have even been more sensitive too but it was close. I think I was leaning more towards the xxpp but maybe it felt more sensitive due to the fast tip.

I found that the mephisto was good for swim jigs, spinnerbaits, and chatterbaits. I did catch a fish on a 1/2 Oz jig and it does just fine with it. I don't think you'll miss a bite on the c40 mephisto. Plenty sensitive but against some other mighty bottom contact rods it is behind. It's a good all around power rod IMO.
Last edited by Bass1980 on Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:11 am

Thanks. I'm going to use it for what you mentioned plus frogs. I would think that it would work well for smaller swimbaits too.

I'll get a NRX 894 for the heavier jigs as I really like my 853c for jigs/plastics up to 3/8 oz.

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass1980 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:38 am

Yeah forgot I did throw some hollow body frogs with the mephisto and it can do that well. The balance and weight is good on the mephisto. I had it paired with a IP79 7.5oz).

I've fished a 854c with a Metanium and that rod also has good wright and balance. If I didn't have my X7AM I'd get a 854c.

dinosorcerer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by dinosorcerer » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:07 pm

Bottom contact is very good, imo. It's very versatile, I have used it for fat ika, dropshot, and football jigging. I can say its very sensitive and will not disappoint.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:19 pm

Great combo!!

I'm a big fan of the C40 Mephisto mainly due to it's incredible versatility. I've fished everything from deep cranks to frogs on it and always find new things the rod can do. It's not the most sensitive rod on the planet in terms of bottom contact, but the sensitivity is very good overall in my hands and I've caught fish on FB jigs in 20'+ over and over with no issues with bite detection.

It's an outstanding frog rod, so you'll enjoy it for those applications. I really like throwing larger paddle tail swim baits on it as well and it makes a great smaller Bull Shad rod especially when target casting them. There isn't much this rod can't do in it's listed weight range.

Good call on adding the NRX 894 for the heavier jigs, it's one of the best out there at 1/2 to 3/4 oz. The Tackle Trap always has nice deals on NRX for Tackle Tour members, get in touch anytime 8-)

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:14 am

bronzefly wrote:Great combo!!

I'm a big fan of the C40 Mephisto mainly due to it's incredible versatility. I've fished everything from deep cranks to frogs on it and always find new things the rod can do. It's not the most sensitive rod on the planet in terms of bottom contact, but the sensitivity is very good overall in my hands and I've caught fish on FB jigs in 20'+ over and over with no issues with bite detection.

It's an outstanding frog rod, so you'll enjoy it for those applications. I really like throwing larger paddle tail swim baits on it as well and it makes a great smaller Bull Shad rod especially when target casting them. There isn't much this rod can't do in it's listed weight range.

Good call on adding the NRX 894 for the heavier jigs, it's one of the best out there at 1/2 to 3/4 oz. The Tackle Trap always has nice deals on NRX for Tackle Tour members, get in touch anytime 8-)
Thanks for the input Gary.

I'm looking forward to using this rod quite a bit. If Santa doesn't bring me an NRX 894, I'll give you a ring.

poopformayor
Angler
Angler

Post by poopformayor » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:15 am

I picked up my C40 mesphito from TTT, outstanding rod and very versatile. Mines is paired with a Ip79, I mainly used it for swimjigs and frogs. Sensitivity is good overall in my hands.
Attachments
C40 Mephisto1.jpg
C40 Mephisto1.jpg (23.6 KiB) Viewed 5489 times

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:24 pm

poopformayor wrote:I picked up my C40 mesphito from TTT, outstanding rod and very versatile. Mines is paired with a Ip79, I mainly used it for swimjigs and frogs. Sensitivity is good overall in my hands.
Sweet looking combo there. The C40s look great with everything. :)

7.9 seems a touch to fast for swim jigs for my tastes, which is why I went the IP 68 route. I am thinking of just using the type R for frogs and the IP68 for everything else.

poopformayor
Angler
Angler

Post by poopformayor » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:58 pm

jmb27 wrote:
poopformayor wrote:I picked up my C40 mesphito from TTT, outstanding rod and very versatile. Mines is paired with a Ip79, I mainly used it for swimjigs and frogs. Sensitivity is good overall in my hands.
Sweet looking combo there. The C40s look great with everything. :)

7.9 seems a touch to fast for swim jigs for my tastes, which is why I went the IP 68 route. I am thinking of just using the type R for frogs and the IP68 for everything else.

Ip68 will also be another great choice, very refined and powerful reel.

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jpmoney » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:42 am

After fishing the mephisto extensively this year I have really grown fond of it as a truly amazing do-all rod. I would agree the sensitivity isnt at the top with the likes of NRX rods but its very good otherwise. I find it has a different kind if sensitivity, kind of like the reverberating feeling - I'm assuming this is likely a feature if the titanium strands in the graphite. Like any rod, using braid enhances sensitivity, and in my case I have braid on the metanium that I have mounted on that rod. In terms of using it for jigs I have found this rod to be an excellent jig rod for 1/2 and 3/4oz. I love the action of the rod and find its perfect for pitching...and has LOTS of power to pull big bass out of the weeds.

Another thing I noticed is that the sensitivity decreases when I use an aluminum framed reel like a zillion variant on it. The metanium being a magnesium frame transmits vibrations better in my hands, and the enhanced ergonomics of that reel help as well. This has been a discussion in the rods forums lately and I would have to agree that the magnesium reel is a better for sensitivity in the hand. This is what I have found through extensive time on the water with this rod, but even still its my opinion so take it for what its worth. Right now I have a metanium XG DC mounted on it and couldnt be happier.

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:21 am

jpmoney wrote:After fishing the mephisto extensively this year I have really grown fond of it as a truly amazing do-all rod. I would agree the sensitivity isnt at the top with the likes of NRX rods but its very good otherwise. I find it has a different kind if sensitivity, kind of like the reverberating feeling - I'm assuming this is likely a feature if the titanium strands in the graphite. Like any rod, using braid enhances sensitivity, and in my case I have braid on the metanium that I have mounted on that rod. In terms of using it for jigs I have found this rod to be an excellent jig rod for 1/2 and 3/4oz. I love the action of the rod and find its perfect for pitching...and has LOTS of power to pull big bass out of the weeds.

Another thing I noticed is that the sensitivity decreases when I use an aluminum framed reel like a zillion variant on it. The metanium being a magnesium frame transmits vibrations better in my hands, and the enhanced ergonomics of that reel help as well. This has been a discussion in the rods forums lately and I would have to agree that the magnesium reel is a better for sensitivity in the hand. This is what I have found through extensive time on the water with this rod, but even still its my opinion so take it for what its worth. Right now I have a metanium XG DC mounted on it and couldnt be happier.
Interesting feedback... :-k

I plan to try out the IP 68 first as I think that the gear ratio will be well suited to smaller swimbaits, spinnerbaits, etc. I plan on experimenting with a few reels as well, thinking that the faster Type R will work will with frogs (I have a steez frog rod and I look forward to comparing the two come springtime).

I will put a magnesium reel on there as well now to see what I notice different. The metaniums are fantastic reels for me. I will try out the HG model on there will some bottom contact stuff. Even w/o a magnesium reel, it sounds like the Mephisto will still be fine for jigs.

This thread just confirms that I have a rod that can do quite a bit, which is what I was looking for. The C40 Elseil is one of my favorite rods and I fished several different topwater baits this past summer and it was great. Forecast is really warm here, so if I can get a break from the rain, I'll take the Mephisto out this weekend. :D