Three rods to do it all? Which brand?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
joeyblackwood
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Three rods to do it all? Which brand?

Post by joeyblackwood » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:40 pm

I do quite a bit of shore fishing and I can't bring all my rods comfortably. What rod company do u recommend to provide three rods to adequately cover most techniques. The only one I've personally seen with rods with a ridiculous level of multi-use is Megabass but I've never owned any and am skeptical their rods are as diverse as they claim. If you recommend that brand, which three rods would get the job done best from your personal experience?

bigfruits
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Three rods to do it all? Which brand?

Post by bigfruits » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:26 pm

G. Loomis
JWR 852s NRX
MBR 783c GLX
MBR 844c GLX

ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ogrich31 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:36 pm

Since these get used the most, I guess this is my 3:

Dobyns 705CB Glass
Custom G. Loomis MBR843 GLX
Custom G. Loomis MBR844 GLX

But it really depends on what you plan to use. Any brand will do, but I like Dobyns and custom for the better balance.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:50 pm

If I was on a budget of less than $200 per rod, I'd absolutely buy Hammer Rods. They're extremely impressive rods at their price point being made in the US, having a great warranty, and great performance. They are "great" utility rods in that their tapers tend to be a bit slower making them highly versatile. We have them at The Tackle Trap, the "TT10" gets 10% off, no tax outside Alabama, and free shipping.

http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... 8_809_1145

Megabass makes some incredibly versatile rods, no need to be skeptical, just know which ones do what most effectively. Depending on your budget, and your intended uses for each rod, there are many from which to choose to make a fine trilogy of versatility. I'd be happy to help you pick the right ones if you like. The Tackle Trap still has a nice stock of X4, Phase III, and X7 rods at 20% off MSRP until they're gone. Best of luck on your search regardless, if I can help, let me know.

665 almostevil
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by 665 almostevil » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:51 pm

Genesis II Cast Rod 6'9" Stone Cold Square Bill ( a shorter rod for bank fishing)
Genesis II Cast Rod 7' Heavy (throws a frog well and you can do other heavy applications with it form the bank)
St. Croix Mojo Bass Spinning Rod 6'8" Medium (drop shot and senko rod) The new version is a definite upgrade from last.

These rods are priced great and can do it all. They also are more durable then the average rod. There are better more expensive options but theses will get it done very well.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:14 pm

My typical answer would have been the same as Bigfruits and I think that a fine answer. However, I fish local ponds quite a bit and if I am honest I ask myself how many times I have taken my 783 or 843 and the answer is rarely. Further, I think it matters what you are fishing. I've seen ponds matt over and become frog heaven. My strategy would be to recommend great rods that have some versatility vs. 3 general rods.

Rod 1- gloomis NRX 893c - all things plastics in the small waters I fish. Can be used for spinnerbaits or buzzbaits in a pinch. is optimal for the small plastics I fish around small water. Other alternative would be the 853 or 803NRX depending on how much overhead obstructions you might have.

Rod 2- Powell 3D 795- Anything over 1/2 ounce. Jig, CRig, Arig, swimbait, frog, big worm, pitching into junk. the low cost of this rod helps fund the NRX.

Rod 3- Gloomis 782 imx or glx- small cranks, topwater, jerkbaits, spinnerbaits, small swimbaits. This was the hardest one to pick. Reason being I do like longer rods but I don't like working topwater with anything longer then 6'8. An alternative rod might be a powell or dobyns 683c.

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:39 pm

3 rods to do it all? mainly fishing from shore?

First two rods would be 7' rods or similar. One spinning. One casting.

Third rod would be 7'3" or 7'5" casting, with more backbone for heavier applications (frogs, flipping, etc).

Brand?

Just about every brand out there makes the above three rods....you didn't mention budget.

As such, these would be my picks:

803c NRX
803s NRX
873c NRX

with the above three rods, I can't see much that couldn't be done from shore....

frogpond11
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by frogpond11 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:38 am

I'd go with these 3....

Dobyns 703 - This rod will fish literally anything in that 1/4-3/4 oz range.. spinnerbaits, texas rigs, weightless plastics, small swimbaits, buzzbaits, smaller traps, square bill cranks, chatterbaits, smaller jigs, etc

Dobyns 704 - Similar to the 703, this rod will fish all the same things, just the larger sizes of them, plus it can also handle some of the heavier duties like more open water frogs or a c-rig

Dobyns 735 - This one would do the heavy lifting.. a frog, big jig, punch rig, Alabama rig

If I could only have 3, that'd be the 3 I'd have..

My $.02

Justin

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:16 am

bronzefly wrote:If I was on a budget of less than $200 per rod, I'd absolutely buy Hammer Rods. They're extremely impressive rods at their price point being made in the US, having a great warranty, and great performance. They are "great" utility rods in that their tapers tend to be a bit slower making them highly versatile. We have them at The Tackle Trap, the "TT10" gets 10% off, no tax outside Alabama, and free shipping.

http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... 8_809_1145

Megabass makes some incredibly versatile rods, no need to be skeptical, just know which ones do what most effectively. Depending on your budget, and your intended uses for each rod, there are many from which to choose to make a fine trilogy of versatility. I'd be happy to help you pick the right ones if you like. The Tackle Trap still has a nice stock of X4, Phase III, and X7 rods at 20% off MSRP until they're gone. Best of luck on your search regardless, if I can help, let me know.
I have to second the Megabass lineups. The X4 is very versatile especially these models

Destruction
Black Elseil
Rattle Viper Technical Game

I would take a hard look at the Levante series or step up to the XX and look at these models

Tour Versatile
Diablo Spec R
Extreme Mission Type F or if you need power Perfect Pitch

I don't have any experience with the Hammer rods, but Gary at TT (Bronzefly) is the one who steered me towards Megabass and probably a couple dozen others on this site and am very happy with Megabass. If he says Hammer rods are great rods for the money then they probably are. Good luck in your search.

masterbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by masterbass » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:12 am

I'd go with megabass xx:

flatside special
emtf
perfect pitch

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jpmoney » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:20 am

masterbass wrote:I'd go with megabass xx:

flatside special
emtf
perfect pitch
I second this list. I have all of these rods and they are all incredible...these 3 rods are very versatile and are a great bang for the buck

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:45 am

masterbass wrote:I'd go with megabass xx:

flatside special
emtf
perfect pitch
Yup, hard to beat!

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:45 am

that is a nice list.... :mrgreen:

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:41 pm

On a little more budget friendly list -
Kistler klx line up
Phenix Recon line up
You can mix and match to your liking and the primary baits you will be employing. Both series have some rather universal sticks imo.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:18 am

That's not fair, I would pick Megabass because they're so versatile. My 3 most versatile would be:
Super Elsiel
Super Diablo SII
Super Destruction