Shimano Casitas ?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
fishingcreekoutdoors
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Shimano Casitas ?

Post by fishingcreekoutdoors » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:33 am

Looks good, I'm looking to get a couple for power fishing (spinnerbaits, chatter baits, ect...) how do u like it after a couple fish?

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:52 am

fishingcreekoutdoors wrote:Looks good, I'm looking to get a couple for power fishing (spinnerbaits, chatter baits, ect...) how do u like it after a couple fish?
If you are asking me sorry but I haven't fished it yet. I will try this weekend but it looks like rain.

Olli25
Angler
Angler

Post by Olli25 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:00 am

Hi ,
Thank you Bootytrain for your informations and pictures of the reel.

First, it is im first post after the registration here, i read this forum every Day so i dicided to sign up. At this point sorry for my bad english i am from germany and dont speak english very well but i try my best.

You guys in the State's had so many nice Baitcast reels , we in Germany had only a few shimanos.... And i am a big Shimano Fan and USDM and JDM Tackle too. So there is no Way to go around this forum. I bought all my Stuff in the USA or Japan but dont found a Community like this. I really like all the informations and help you can get here.

I ha da question to the Casitas owners, what do you think about this reel compare to the Curado I series. I own a Curado I and many more Shimano reels but the Casitas woke my intrest on the price Point and it is saltwater Safe i guess ?

Sorry for my Bad english ...

Best regardes
Olli

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:33 am

Olli25 wrote:Hi ,
Thank you Bootytrain for your informations and pictures of the reel.

First, it is im first post after the registration here, i read this forum every Day so i dicided to sign up. At this point sorry for my bad english i am from germany and dont speak english very well but i try my best.

You guys in the State's had so many nice Baitcast reels , we in Germany had only a few shimanos.... And i am a big Shimano Fan and USDM and JDM Tackle too. So there is no Way to go around this forum. I bought all my Stuff in the USA or Japan but dont found a Community like this. I really like all the informations and help you can get here.

I ha da question to the Casitas owners, what do you think about this reel compare to the Curado I series. I own a Curado I and many more Shimano reels but the Casitas woke my intrest on the price Point and it is saltwater Safe i guess ?

Sorry for my Bad english ...

Best regardes
Olli
Welcome to Tackletour :D the Casitas is more comfortable to palm but the curado is smoother and feels more refined on the retrieve but keep in mind I haven't fished the Casitas yet. I was going to try tomorrow but it's going to be only 30 degrees.

Olli25
Angler
Angler

Post by Olli25 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:50 am

Thank you :big grin: .
The Tacklemonkey Insider me won, i bought one two minute's ago.That sound's ok to me. I like to use the reel in salt water to throw 20-30g Spoons. Fishing on Seatrout and other small game species we have here.
After looking the youtube video from "LakeForkGuy" i think the reel will cast somth, but smother than the curado I ?
What whould you say ?
I wish we had a Shop like TWH or BPShop in germany , we also don't have Bass here :crying:

Thank you =D>

Olli

jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by jpd0144 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:52 am

Any water time yet Booty ?

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:30 am

Yep, I used it for a few hours using 10 lb mono, on an Expride 6'10 medium. The first lure was a jackall bling and it backlashed really bad with 2 brakes on. In fact it kept back lashing despite turning the dial up. I put another brake on and it got better but still was having minor overruns. The was slight wind occasionally but nothing major. I was thinking the line just needs to settle and maybe the bling wasn't heavy enough. So I tied on an Aska 60 and got better results. Better distance and hardly any backlashes. Strangely enough I also threw a shadow rap and a 3.3 inch Keitech on a 1/8 oz jighead and got much better results. I hardly got any backlashes on those. The bad backlashes on the bling confused me. Maybe the brake pipe was over oiled and didn't provide enough friction until some of it came off. Casting distance was great and the retrieve was smooth enough. Didn't catch anything but overall it feels like a heavier chronarch ci4. Interesting enough, I freed up a snag and the Keitech came off so I just had the 1/8th oz jighead. So I made a cast just for fun and it handled it pretty good lol. The reel can definitely cast far but the initial tough time I had dialing in the brakes bothered me but once dialed in it was really good considering it's price. I'll need more time on it though to get a complete picture

jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by jpd0144 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:10 am

Bootytrain wrote:

Maybe the brake pipe was over oiled and didn't provide enough friction until some of it came off
I suspect your spot on.

Thanks for your time to create a detailed overview of your first test drive.

For its price point I may have to pull the trigger and give it a spin as well.

Olli25
Angler
Angler

Post by Olli25 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:28 pm

Hi Booty,
my Casitas arrived some days ago, too. picked it up and thought "oh damn it`s lightwaight" but it retrives not so smoth as my CuradoI but smoth enogh to feel ok.

I had some pictures if it is interesting to someone to see some more.
ImageImageImageImage

Casitas & Chronarch CI4

Compare to the 50,151 and 200 size
ImageImage

Braking system
ImageImageImage

Nice to read that the reel can handle so little weights. I bought mine mainly to fish in sold water for cod,saithe, garfish, mackerel,mullet,sea ​​trout and seabass that are the predators that you can catch from our coast. So i spooled my reel with Sunline Super PE 25lbs and used 1/2oz to 1oz Baits with that. Dont know if thats to heavy but with good thumbing, it works for me. Main point for the purchase was that the reel should be salt water safe and i mean look at the price ? I cant resist and bought one !
Over all it is a nice reel for a great price to me. Looks nice, performes good.

best regardes Olli

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:39 am

Anybody get more time on the water with theirs?

Also, the JDM version will have an MGL spool like the much more pricey new Metanium. Might be interesting to get a spool to swap out.

Loafer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Loafer » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:47 pm

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:32 am

Had a gift card so I decided to pick one up. I've used it twice now with 15lb regular Power Pro braid and had the same backlash results as mentioned before. After the first trip, I flushed and oiled the spool bearings with HH alchemy oil and made sure the brake pipe wasn't overly greasy. Still, same results. I had to put all internal brakes on and the dial from 4.5-6 to be able to cast down to 3/16oz. Anybody else having this issue? Hopefully it's not the new braking system since their newer feels like the Curado 70 have it as well! I'm gonna give it another couple of trips.

ibobpeb
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ibobpeb » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:34 pm

MediumHeavy wrote:Anybody get more time on the water with theirs?

Also, the JDM version will have an MGL spool like the much more pricey new Metanium. Might be interesting to get a spool to swap out.
I wonder how much the MGL spool on the Casitas weighs in comparison to the original. The USDM Casitas total overall weight is 6.7 oz while the JDM Casitas is 6.8 oz. Makes me wonder if it's a misprint or what's up. That said, I would be interested in the JDM one once more info comes to light.

Olli25
Angler
Angler

Post by Olli25 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:07 am

I pre-ordered one of The JDM Casitas to Compare ist with my US Casitas at Japantackle... Once the JDM Casitas arrived at me i can post someone pictures and can tell you the weight difference.

Best regardes Olli
Last edited by Olli25 on Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:08 am

Olli25 wrote:I pre-ordered one of The JDM Casitas to Compare ist with my US Casitas at Japantackle... Once the JDM Casitas arrived alt meine i can post someone pictures and can tell you the weight difference.

Best regardes Olli

Yes, please let us know! :)