Baitcaster for light lures

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Rich Frye
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Baitcaster for light lures

Post by Rich Frye » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:21 pm

What exactly is your budget , and how light a weight do you want to cast?
It's mainly all spool and bearings in almost any frame . Lots of cool used frames out there.

Draethe84
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Draethe84 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:39 pm

I'm wanting to be able to cast about 1/10 oz and up... Looks like that Scorpion 70 like 1000 previous model will do the trick

Draethe84
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Draethe84 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:12 am

Would this be any good (http://tzlure.com/proxinc-r81dbf.html) its a total finesse custom beast

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:39 pm

You have considered a tatula with aftermarket spool and a new scorpion 70. Both seem very good options to me.

The Prox inc. reel has a shallow spool (8lb/50m), is relatively heavy for a finesse reel (216 gr), and comes with "only" 4 bearings. None of these specs puts me off. What scares me a little is the very low price. I can find the reel for just around 5000 JPY / 60 AUD / 42 USD.
I think that you will be more happy with your initial considerations (tatula/scorpion)...
If you do buy the Prox inc reel please report back with a short review.

Draethe84
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Draethe84 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:03 pm

I have been working recenly and have 600AUD but don't want to spend it all but plenty to choose from

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:17 pm

Silas wrote:
zodiak311 wrote:I'm a little late, but an Airy Red Pixilla is hard to beat. You can find one for a good deal these days, and do minor upgrades along the way. I spool all of mine with 7lb Sniper.

I agree! I bought 2 from Japan dealer used and am simply amazed at their performance with light baits.

I have one on a Jackson 6'4" Super Trickster and the other on a Megabass Hedgehog X4 and both with the 7# Sniper( which I find is their best line test)
you both got em from which site? They rarely popup on ebay.

Draethe84
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Draethe84 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:26 pm

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/fuga ... tw-190335/ how about thee finesse custom tuned okuma reels, that's the cheap one but theres more

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:11 pm

Draethe84 wrote:http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/fuga ... tw-190335/ how about thee finesse custom tuned okuma reels, that's the cheap one but theres more
I may be suffering from unhealthy skepticism, but I think you are taking a gamble on those reels. I have yet to be truly happy with an Okuma reel. Why not go with a more tried and true brand/reel... The Curado/Scorpion and Alphas series reels have a very good track record, and are not that much more expensive...
I would personally rather put some money aside and save up for months for a Shimano/Daiwa than potentially waste AUD on a Okuma/Prox inc.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:12 pm

Draethe84 wrote:http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/fuga ... tw-190335/ how about thee finesse custom tuned okuma reels, that's the cheap one but theres more
Do you know how much the spool weighs?

Draethe84
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Draethe84 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:53 pm

Yeah I was looking at those Scorpions and alphas, that 70 size Scorpio should be better than the curado 70 I think... But the alphas looks nice so does those second hand pixys

Olli25
Angler
Angler

Post by Olli25 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:00 pm

Hi Guys,
Take a look at the Shimano Brenious , it is a bang for the buck! Really nice BFS Reel. I use three of them and they are really great ! Dont know why many People dont know this reel. It is a JDM Reel but you get them on ebay , no Problems with that. I fish mine with 6lbs - 8lbs Sunline Super PE and 3.5g - 8g Lures. In my Opinion it performes better than my Aldebaran Mg7.

Sorry for my bad english

Best regardes Olli

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:30 pm

Olli25 wrote:Hi Guys,
Take a look at the Shimano Brenious , it is a bang for the buck! Really nice BFS Reel. I use three of them and they are really great ! Dont know why many People dont know this reel. It is a JDM Reel but you get them on ebay , no Problems with that. I fish mine with 6lbs - 8lbs Sunline Super PE and 3.5g - 8g Lures. In my Opinion it performes better than my Aldebaran Mg7.

Sorry for my bad english

Best regardes Olli
I agree with Olli. The Brenious is a very nice reel. Using some red brakes instead of all lighter clear ones made all the difference in the world for me. It is super comfortable to palm and very smooth on the retrieve with very consistent drag for lighter line applications. Pretty much have to go braid though due to tiny line capacity.

DaveJ

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:27 am

What is the difference between the clear and the red brake blocks?

Rich Frye
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Rich Frye » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:55 am

mark poulson wrote:What is the difference between the clear and the red brake blocks?
Red are heavier than white, green heavier yet .

Rich Frye
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Rich Frye » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:59 am

Draethe84 wrote:I have been working recenly and have 600AUD but don't want to spend it all but plenty to choose from
Now we are getting closer to what your budget is ...
Going down to 1/10 th of an oz easily without any trouble will eliminate a bunch of stock spools and stock bearings.