Gliss - What do you think?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Gliss - What do you think?

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:58 am

What's the verdict on this line? After some reading, the right knot is needed. How is the slack line sensitivity, more like fluorocarbon or braid?

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Gliss - What do you think?

Post by Bassmar » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:27 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:37 pm

Bassmar wrote:Quite a bit of info here.

http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic. ... ilit=gliss
I saw that. I was starting a new thread because of the negative sounding title. I was trying to get "fresh" , recent opinions.

stevenhatchy
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by stevenhatchy » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:28 pm

I received a spool of the 40 lb gliss for Christmas and I like it, so far. I spooled it on my Concept A and have fished a few times with it, mainly throwing rattle traps. I plan on using it more for jigging and maybe some topwater, but the rattletrap bite has been hot at my pond, so that's what I'm throwing. I use a 10 turn San Diego Jam and have no knot slippage. I've caught approximately 20 bass on this setup and have retied once, after catching an 8 pound bass. I do get the occasional snap back cast, like with braid, but any overruns have always come right out. I find the sensitivity on par with braid and the castability has been better for me. I haven't used it for bottom contact yet, but it is very easy to feel any kind of vegetation getting on the rattletrap. I have had it for a very limited time, but I like it. I did not see a big gain in casting distance.

daiwafan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwafan » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:23 am

I read all the negative reviews on tacklewarehouse and on here but I bought a small 150 yard spool of 24 pound green Gliss anyway. I spooled the line onto a Sol equipped with a Presso spool and air BFS bearings that I sometimes use for Winter smallmouth bass fishing. I normally throw 1/8 oz jigs and small trailers using 10 pound Flouro in what I call Hillbilly BFS.

When I first used the reel I remember thinking that the reel was pitching and casting better than it had the last time I used it. I kinda wrote it off in my mind though cause it had been a while. Let me say I have never been a fan of braid or PE lines in general. I have tried several and just don't like the noise through the guides. Gliss on the other hand has virtually no noise. When I got the first enevitable hangup, I simply pulled the jig loose. Long story short I now have this line on my primary Hillybilly BFS reel, a Steez with a Megabass Honeycomb spool, and I have ordered another 300 yard spool and have it on a third reel, a tatula with a DIY air spool.

Since first getting the line around the first of the year;

I have yet to loose a jig, and this is in rock infested New River, the line is strong enough to simply straighten the jig hooks I use. With 10 pound flouro I will break off a pretty high percentage of the times that the jig won't simply pop free.

I have a 100 percent hookup ratio. I think since switching I have had a total of 10 strikes, 9 smallies caught and 1 musky lost at my feet.

And here is perhaps the most important fact for my style of fishing and I found this out while messing with the Tatula. This line is Much Much lighter in overall weight than Flouro. When I got the Tatula Spool I weighed it with 10 pound Sunline Flouro, when I switched to Gliss I weighed it again and the difference was 6 grams. Now that doesn't sound like a lot but believe me a spool that has 6 grams less mass reciprocating is a lot easier to control, and therefore casts, pitches and skips better.

At this point I think the line is a winner!

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:36 am

How is the slack line sensitivity compared to braid?

daiwafan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwafan » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:51 am

I would say just as good as it is a HMPE line like most braids. The advantage to braid, other than price point, is it's ultra small diameter. The 24 pound Gliss is the same diameter as 7 pound Sniper, which transfers into less drag in moving water.

The slack line sensitivity compared to Sunline sniper, which is no slouch, is phenominal.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:03 pm

KNots are finnicky. Without question if the highest break strength is needed. FG know is really the only way to fly.

I used it 40lb on a stella sw for light pluggin and bunker snagging. It held up pretty well.

I used 40lb on a metanium DC. For the first time in a very long time (freshwater) I broke off on a hookset tying direct to a savage gear frog. Threw the frog too...i got to watch it sink..lol

The lighter stuff while it casts incredibly. It really requires an FG knot otherwise to me it has no value.

I was one of the earlier posters to log all my findings.

Google GLiss...i hope it's not another nanofil

Aquaholik from here added quite a bit of detail as well.

aquaholik
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aquaholik » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:44 am

Update:
Bought a white 24lb Gliss from Tackle Warehouse. This one was stronger than the green 24lb from Europe. Got an FG knot of 20lbs with the white one VS 17lbs for the green one.

daiwafan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwafan » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:24 am

Thats interesting. I have not yet tested the breaking strength but am not surprised it is a little under its rated strength. I told my fishing buddies I thought it was a little overrated the few times I've broken it using a bait with shook too big to bend out. I assume you are using the FG knot to connect a leader? So far I have been using it direct with a double Palomar without issue.

Some have said that the line frays easily, but I have not noticed that it is any more prone to fraying than the Flouro I was using in the river.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:04 am

aquaholik wrote:Update:
Bought a white 24lb Gliss from Tackle Warehouse. This one was stronger than the green 24lb from Europe. Got an FG knot of 20lbs with the white one VS 17lbs for the green one.
I would bet the white isn't colored and that is its base look, but the green had some sort of dye or coating added to it to make it green. That extra coating probably makes knots slip even more than normal.

I will eventually try some when it goes on sale. I'm planning on trying the 40lb white for best knot strength and overall durability. The 40lb is still thinner than 30lb Power Pro and 10lb Tatsu which are both plenty thin IMO.

DaveJ

aquaholik
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aquaholik » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:55 am

Yes, FG knot to 30lbs leader and attach that to a spring scale and pull until it breaks. The original line stays on the spool and I grip that with a glove.

White is indeed the base color for Nanofil and Gliss. It does fuzz up after use. Also after the smoothness wears out, expect a 25% drop in knot strength also.

aquaholik
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aquaholik » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:00 am

I bought 40lbs white also. It feels like 20lbs J Braid in terms of thickness and maybe a hair thinner than 20lb Spiderwire Stealth. Stealth test close to 40lbs so if Gliss has a FG knot strength of 30-33 lbs, it would be a decently strong line for it's diameter. I'll post the number once I get a chance to test it.

Jdmbiggie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jdmbiggie » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:43 pm

kinda in the same boat as the question but would you choose this over braid or mono?

daiwafan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwafan » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:13 am

I dont know about everybody else but I have chosen it in my application over Braid, Mono and Flouro,