New Curado 70

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: New Curado 70

Post by Bootytrain » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:12 am

DavidSA wrote:OK, now that we have a little more info about the 70, what does it replace in your current Shimano line-up or what might it be selected over on a future Shimano purchase???? I was trying to think about if or how I might fit one in. It appears to come in both a HG and XG version which provides more opportunity.

- I was thinking about a Alderbaron but not sure if it would have the power to throw spinnerbaits, buzzbaits in addition to topwaters. Seems the 70 could play but the price is adding almost 2 oz to the reel.

- I could see where the 70 might eliminate say a Chronarch Ci4 on the basis of similar line capacity, same weight and slightly smaller profile.

- It is hard for me to envision picking a 70 XG over a Met XG. I can see where the 70 would be economical.

- If I was considering a Curado I for plastics (I'm not) I can see where the 70 would be better for pitching apps.

For me personally I like the looks of this reel but I don't know that I will end up owning one.
This is the replacement for the chronarch 50e

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:50 am

Yes, that seems pretty clear. Was asking more for the guys who have everything if this reel has something that earns its way in the boat (not just the basement storage closet ;) ) Unclear at least to me. Certainly I can see that the guy with no or little collection this could be a natural choice and favorite.

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:44 am

DavidSA wrote:Yes, that seems pretty clear. Was asking more for the guys who have everything if this reel has something that earns its way in the boat (not just the basement storage closet ;) ) Unclear at least to me. Certainly I can see that the guy with no or little collection this could be a natural choice and favorite.
I was actually considering getting the jdm version after jun originally reported it would have micro gears,but that did'nt turn out to be true,ended up ordering a metanium MGL.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:53 am

DavidSA wrote:Yes, that seems pretty clear. Was asking more for the guys who have everything if this reel has something that earns its way in the boat (not just the basement storage closet ;) ) Unclear at least to me. Certainly I can see that the guy with no or little collection this could be a natural choice and favorite.
I personally would buy one just for the x ship and svs infinty brakes. And this is coming from a guy who has almost all the 50es.

Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hennessy » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:00 am

Bootytrain wrote:
DavidSA wrote:OK, now that we have a little more info about the 70, what does it replace in your current Shimano line-up or what might it be selected over on a future Shimano purchase???? I was trying to think about if or how I might fit one in. It appears to come in both a HG and XG version which provides more opportunity.

- I was thinking about a Alderbaron but not sure if it would have the power to throw spinnerbaits, buzzbaits in addition to topwaters. Seems the 70 could play but the price is adding almost 2 oz to the reel.

- I could see where the 70 might eliminate say a Chronarch Ci4 on the basis of similar line capacity, same weight and slightly smaller profile.

- It is hard for me to envision picking a 70 XG over a Met XG. I can see where the 70 would be economical.

- If I was considering a Curado I for plastics (I'm not) I can see where the 70 would be better for pitching apps.

For me personally I like the looks of this reel but I don't know that I will end up owning one.
This is the replacement for the chronarch 50e
yeah it's kind of a bummer that this reel wasn't lighter, maybe 5.9 oz. Last yr I enjoyed the ci4 7.6:1 for spinnerbaits/chatterbaits, so if I got one id get the hg model for blades. But for only a few more dollars the metanium hg is lighter & has micro module

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:00 am

kind of what i'm feeling. The Xship is certainly an advantage over the older Shimano reels but for me most of my reels that don't have xship are 5.8oz shimano reels and I don't see getting heavier. I'm sure with holiday sales the 70 can be had for $160 but honestly I'd import a Met for $120 more. Will be interesting to see the handle length. I pretty much have no interest in a 84mm handle once I got the taste of a 96mm :mrgreen:

lucky13
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by lucky13 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:27 am

Where's in going to be made
japan or outsourced to Malaysia?

If japan I might have to try them
No way if made in malaysia

Olli25
Angler
Angler

Post by Olli25 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:37 pm

I whould bet Malaysia cause it whould make no sence to produce the `70/71 in Japan and the `200/201 in Malaysia. Anyway i dont understand your problem with Malaysia made Shimano Reels. The 200 I is rock solid and the Casitas a great Reel too!

Olli

BigAl23
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BigAl23 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:52 pm

They are also coming out with the JDM Scorpion 70

tracker01
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tracker01 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:46 pm

BigAl23 wrote:They are also coming out with the JDM Scorpion 70
Nice.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:46 am

TW has the bearings listed as 5BB+1RB: I assume this is a typo and the 70 will come with A or S-ARB bearings? Definitely a light saltwater reel for me.

BigAl23
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BigAl23 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:51 pm

brownhl
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by brownhl » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:04 am

There always seems to be a misunderstanding regarding Shimano products made in Malaysia. The facility has always been a Shimano staffed facility and produces excellent reels with Shimano specs to the letter. The Citica 200D was an absolute tank in its quality build and unless you looked at the bottom, you would never guess it was made in their Maylasia facility.
Last edited by brownhl on Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:40 am

any chance this curado comes in a left handed 5.1 or similar gear ratio option?

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:48 am

SteveSchmelzle wrote:any chance this curado comes in a left handed 5.1 or similar gear ratio option?
Nope