When a new Shimano large capacity reel...?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Marcos82
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

When a new Shimano large capacity reel...?

Post by Marcos82 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:56 am

Hi guys,

Reel brands like Abu Garcia and Daiwa, for example, are steeping foward and bringing to us new versions of their large line capacity reel. An example is the new version of the Daiwa Lexa and the new Revo Toro Beast or the Okuma Komodo 364. I wonder when will Shimano upgrade the Curado 300. Great reel, but I wish something to compete with the others... Less weight and with external cast control mechanism.

Does someone know if they are planning to release a new product?

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: When a new Shimano large capacity reel...?

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:41 am

the non LC version of the Tekota?

Marcos82
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Marcos82 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:37 am

I mean low profile reels...

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:31 am

I don't doubt for a minute that there will be an update, eventually to the 300 series Shimanos. However, in defense of the current iteration, I don't believe that weight and size are much of an issue, due to the nature of the fishing you will likely do with it.
It's smooth, is an excellent caster for appropriate weights, and unlike other reels I've owned and sold because of issues, or performance degredation, is reliable and trouble free. After miles of cranking bucktails and big baits on it, it literally feels as good as the day it came out. For bass, there is nothing it can't handle. For Musky, it is just the ticket. Saltwater guys may find that their mileage varies as the need for beefier builds due to heavier lures and bigger fish increases.
I know we all like the latest and greatest stuff, but don't sleep on the 300e. You never know, the next one has a fair chance at being worse than it's predecessor, as we've seen in past iterations of reels from all manufacturers. Then, these will become scarce, and prices will go up for used and rare NIB specimens.
Just a thought.

facelessnewsouth
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by facelessnewsouth » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:08 am

There's always the Shimano Tranx.

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:12 am

facelessnewsouth wrote:There's always the Shimano Tranx.
Which is a low profile but wayyyy bulkier than Conquest 400 lol.

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:09 pm

I really like my 301E but I'm waiting on a new 301 with baited breath! Come on Shimano! oh well there is a new Lexa to fill the bill for now.

Kurt

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:54 pm

facelessnewsouth wrote:There's always the Shimano Tranx.

Still no lefty....want one so badly for bucktails.

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:01 am

Kurt L wrote:I really like my 301E but I'm waiting on a new 301 with baited breath! Come on Shimano! oh well there is a new Lexa to fill the bill for now.

Kurt
Just so you know the Lexa was one of the reels that began feeling rough after a few trips. It didnt improve a whole lot after service.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:33 am

I foresee a tranx 400 in the future

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:40 pm

BucketHunter wrote:
Kurt L wrote:I really like my 301E but I'm waiting on a new 301 with baited breath! Come on Shimano! oh well there is a new Lexa to fill the bill for now.

Kurt
Just so you know the Lexa was one of the reels that began feeling rough after a few trips. It didnt improve a whole lot after service.[/quote

My Lexa is still hanging tuff so far... but I lubed it and shimmed it up to get rid of some of the loose tolerances after the first couple of trips. I have caught a number of Salmon and several nice ones on it. I just had to put new gears in my Curado 301E after pretty low hours I'm not to crazy about that, but it's still my favorite 300 size reel though!

Kurt