How long can a bass live out of the water???

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
dux
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

How long can a bass live out of the water???

Post by dux » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:53 am

Say a healthy 5 pounder.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: How long can a bass live out of the water???

Post by Cracker » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:00 am

When I used to been bringing couple fish to home for eating they been pretty live after a ten minutes ride to home laying in my trunk. I guess it really depends of the season (hot, cool weather).

Drewgill
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Drewgill » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:36 am

There's really no specific answer to this question because of the numerous variables that can influence the fish’s health, like how long the fish fought, water temperature, air temperature, stage of spawn, etc. Then there’s the ever-present threat of stressed-induced delayed mortality that throws yet another wrinkle into the equation.

fishing247
Angler
Angler

Post by fishing247 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:53 am

In short it depends on the stress the fish incurs whether that is during capture, holding, handling, levels of oxygen, temperature, salinity, ammonia, etc. Mortality will also occurs after the fish is released so don't always be stoked if a fish swims away. This is because high stress events can decrease disease resistance, increased oxygen consumption and osmoregulatory problems, decreased growth and reproductive capacity and many effects of stressors are also cumulative.

The point is, if you do catch and release then minimize the amount of stress on the fish i.e. leave the slime on the fish, handle the fish minimally if not at all, keep the fish horizontal, shorten the fight time, etc. and all of these stressors are exasperated by factors such as higher environmental temperatures.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:47 am

Don't forget oxygen deprivation to the brain.

Granted, the brain of a bass is not a very sophisticated thing. But I sometimes wonder, upon seeing a video of a fish held interminably out of water by someone blabbing to a camera, whether the only thing that fish will be able to "catch" after that will be a hooked nightcrawler on the end of a string wound around a soda can by a guy who eats everything he pulls in.

ClearCreek
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ClearCreek » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:22 pm

Maybe about as long as you would live if someone put a plastic bag over your head and tied a string around your neck.

ClearCreek

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:28 pm

Well, time for me to speak up I guess... I'm with the overall theme above, only to the Nth degree.

Often appalled I am on the way some folks disrespect life, often to point of anger if I'm being totally honest. Yes, Bass are tougher than some, I agree, but they are mortal. If you intend to keep it, then put it out of its misery quickly. If you intend to put it back, then put it out of it's misery quickly. Notice any correlation here? I'm amazed at how many anglers assume that just because a fish swims away it will be fine. Such is sometimes not the case.

A good rule of thumb to determine survival ability is to look at the gills. If they're dark and deprived of blood oxygen then it's losing it's chance by the second. Do not just toss such a fish in or place it in and immediately let go. Hold it by the lip until it rejuvenates itself, the tell tale sign when it attempts to free itself from grasp. When it's ready, you will know.

Also, to the best of my knowledge, if you happen to damage the gills in any way the fish will eventually suffocate.

Personally, I'm convinced the larger the fish the quicker it must be put back. They're older and usually are able to fight much longer before landing. This so called 'wearing it out' is just that. :doh:

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sore Thumb » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:02 pm

Another factor related to this. According to newer research, the length of time a fish is kept out of the water has a direct bearing on its chances of spawning in the future. The short answer is, do what you must, but do it quickly.

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:07 am

fishing247 wrote:In short it depends on the stress the fish incurs whether that is during capture, holding, handling, levels of oxygen, temperature, salinity, ammonia, etc. Mortality will also occurs after the fish is released so don't always be stoked if a fish swims away. This is because high stress events can decrease disease resistance, increased oxygen consumption and osmoregulatory problems, decreased growth and reproductive capacity and many effects of stressors are also cumulative.

The point is, if you do catch and release then minimize the amount of stress on the fish i.e. leave the slime on the fish, handle the fish minimally if not at all, keep the fish horizontal, shorten the fight time, etc. and all of these stressors are exasperated by factors such as higher environmental temperatures.
Some great info here =D>
Funny when most mention wetting hands before touching the fish( good info), however it is perfectly fine to crank a fish at high speed through a brush pile/weed bed.As mentiond above,its all about the stress levels.

cure-hb
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by cure-hb » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:42 am

10-15min my personal experience

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:17 pm

Question should be, how fast can I get the fish back in the water?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:07 pm

BigG wrote:Question should be, how fast can I get the fish back in the water?
Absolutely. When I'm playing a big smallie on light gear she's pretty well spent by the time I snatch her. Couple quick pics and back in she goes.

ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ogrich31 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:22 am

The faster the better. If I feel it's a 5lb+, I will take a pic, weight it, and release it. This is done in about 2 mins. If it's smaller than than that, it goes back in the water right after I lip it and take off the hooks.

I feel as though bigger bass will be more stressed. Have to be careful so you don't break their jaws too.

dirtygeary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dirtygeary » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:21 am

=D> =D> =D> =D>
BigG wrote:Question should be, how fast can I get the fish back in the water?

Heronimo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Heronimo » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:55 pm

What's the point of this question? If you're CPR, then get it done as quickly and responsibly as possible. Not sure why some people are inclined to photo every 1 and 2 lb bass they catch, but that's another story. Hold it vertically by the lip, not horizontally unsupported, try not to let the bass flop around on your boat deck, don't use your feet to hold it down while you get your hook out and get it back in the water- fast!

How long can you hold your dog underwater? Doesn't sound right, huh?