Daiwa SV103XS Spool tension clicker

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
jjbassnforfun
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Daiwa SV103XS Spool tension clicker

Post by jjbassnforfun » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:51 am

I got my SV103 a few days ago and something just bugged me. I'm so used to the click of the spool tension of the OG zillions. So I did a little investigating and came up with this as a fix. Took a few dimensions of the OG zillian. Whipped up a sketch and came up with this adapter out of 6061 aluminum to mimic the original.
click adapter 2a.JPG
click adapter 2a.JPG (76.56 KiB) Viewed 8582 times
Removed the knob and oring
knob and Oringa.JPG
knob and Oringa.JPG (86.22 KiB) Viewed 8582 times
Mounted the adapter with 2 part epoxy
click adapter mounteda.JPG
click adapter mounteda.JPG (92.47 KiB) Viewed 8582 times
Add the spring and tention knob from an OG zillian
knob click springa.JPG
knob click springa.JPG (93.24 KiB) Viewed 8582 times
Finished
finished2a.JPG
finished2a.JPG (99.22 KiB) Viewed 8582 times
I also added a few OG red accents as I wasn't fond of the purple!! Next up is a few more details to order from gary over at TT.
Last edited by jjbassnforfun on Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rarebreed
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Daiwa SV103XS Spool tension clicker

Post by Rarebreed » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:05 am

Woah, nice work. You do a lot of machining?

jjbassnforfun
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jjbassnforfun » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:22 am

Rarebreed wrote:Woah, nice work. You do a lot of machining?
Yes, I'm a machinist by day. Reel nut by night. I'll have to post up some of the tweaks I've done to the Abu revo's some day.

e_bassfisher
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by e_bassfisher » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:00 am

very well done, sir! this is something i have been working on as well....your way is much cooler :)

would you think of producing these for sale?

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:01 am

I would love to purchase two!

Please send me a PM if you are interested

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:03 am

You can make some good money on this. Very nicely done! =D>

jjbassnforfun
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jjbassnforfun » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:34 am

Pretty sure this is how Daiwa did it, But they don't offer the piece unless you purchase the whole side cover. Never though about making them as this is just my hobby. Lemme think about it a bit as I'm swamped at work and when I get spare time its usually on the water. Didn't know it was OK to sell here. I don't want to break any of the forum rules.

My first try at it was swapping the side cover from an OG zillian. I was gonna attempt to paint it, But I can't paint for beans, So this was a better option for me. An option for the others who can paint though.

Honestly, I don't know why Daiwa didn't do this as they are sweat reels. Only clue would be to give the Zillion TW SV a slight edge over the SV103's??

I suppose this could be an option for other Daiwa's Like the Tatula and SS SV?? I don't own them so its only a guess.

e_bassfisher
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by e_bassfisher » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:49 am

jjbassnforfun wrote:Pretty sure this is how Daiwa did it, But they don't offer the piece unless you purchase the whole side cover. Never though about making them as this is just my hobby. Lemme think about it a bit as I'm swamped at work and when I get spare time its usually on the water. Didn't know it was OK to sell here. I don't want to break any of the forum rules.

My first try at it was swapping the side cover from an OG zillian. I was gonna attempt to paint it, But I can't paint for beans, So this was a better option for me. An option for the others who can paint though.

Honestly, I don't know why Daiwa didn't do this as they are sweat reels. Only clue would be to give the Zillion TW SV a slight edge over the SV103's??

I suppose this could be an option for other Daiwa's Like the Tatula and SS SV?? I don't own them so its only a guess.
i would love to buy one, or more of these from you. please email me at reel_tuner@yahoo.com if you would be interested in selling a few

i can't figure out why daiwa left off the clicker.....either way, the reel is absolutely one of the best new reels i have used in a while. but still, would enjoy having a clicking ccc

jjbassnforfun
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jjbassnforfun » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:59 am

Let me sleep on it and at least test the crap out of the proto-type before I commit anything. Don't want to have something go wrong. I need to beat on this to be sure it lasts. 6061 should take it well, But rather error on safety.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:02 pm

Jay - that's awesome man. I'm so happy you figured it out! I'm more than happy to help you out with anything you need to make this conversion something everyone can grab if they like. If I can be of any assistance, by all means, you know how to get in touch... Great work regardless =D>

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:27 pm

=D> =D> =D>

I'd buy a few, that's for sure!
Great mod!

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:03 pm

BRAVO...im down for a few if you do sell. :)

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:30 pm

mighty cool work!! =D>

jjbassnforfun
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jjbassnforfun » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:18 pm

bronzefly wrote:Jay - that's awesome man. I'm so happy you figured it out! I'm more than happy to help you out with anything you need to make this conversion something everyone can grab if they like. If I can be of any assistance, by all means, you know how to get in touch... Great work regardless =D>
Gosh, Looks like I best be careful how I show off!! ](*,)

I can make a few more, But do not have the time or means to market these. Nor the $$$ to market a conversion kit. I just wanna go fishing! I'd be willing to work with you so others can have a chance at getting them.

jjbassnforfun
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jjbassnforfun » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:36 pm

e_bassfisher wrote:
i would love to buy one, or more of these from you. please email me if you would be interested in selling a few

i can't figure out why daiwa left off the clicker.....either way, the reel is absolutely one of the best new reels i have used in a while. but still, would enjoy having a clicking ccc
RMCatchNrelease wrote:I would love to purchase two!

Please send me a PM if you are interested

389Maverick wrote:=D> =D> =D>

I'd buy a few, that's for sure!
Great mod!
cndbasshunter wrote:BRAVO...im down for a few if you do sell. :)
Only worry I have are they aren't coated/anodized and could corrode. Would that be a worry for others?

I'll PM you guys once I get an idea on production/cost......