deep cranking reel

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

deep cranking reel

Post by goldrod » Mon May 30, 2016 6:42 pm

What's your take on the best deep cranking reel?
Line capacity, ergonomics, torque etc?

masterbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: deep cranking reel

Post by masterbass » Tue May 31, 2016 4:46 am

I don't know if it's the best, but I use a tdz 103ml r+ with a 90mm CF handle. It has 5.7 gears and plenty of torque, but I don't deep crank very often. I'm mostly throwing 10-14ft or shallower.

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Tue May 31, 2016 6:16 am

Personally, I've come to really appreciate the MB LIN10 Origin. If you can stomach a round, of course, it makes easy work of even LOUS deep cranks. Might be able to pull a truck with this thing, can't say I would bet against it. :-s

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue May 31, 2016 6:22 am

I am going to "try" a calcutta gt te 100 this weekend maybe.
and pit it against a Ringa SSS. I think they are relatively in the same gear ratio.
I have been looking around for something differnt but nothing "new" stands out.

beezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by beezy » Tue May 31, 2016 2:14 pm

goldrod wrote:I am going to "try" a calcutta gt te 100 this weekend maybe.
and pit it against a Ringa SSS. I think they are relatively in the same gear ratio.
I have been looking around for something differnt but nothing "new" stands out.
I have the 100te gt as well and it should be fine. I honestly liked the calcutta D series due to x-ship which actually makes it easier to turn the handle and you won't feel as much resistance from the bait. I don't own a ringa reel but I have a pluton 200H but that's for throwing 8" swimbaits.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:34 am

I recently put a handle with (2) bearings per knob on my Gen 1 Premier baitcaster, 6:1+-, and it make crankbaiting deep a pleasure.

jjbassnforfun
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jjbassnforfun » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:31 am

OG Zillion TDZLN100PLA for deeps(16'+) and A Abu gen 3 winch also do nicely. I like to stay in the 5 gear range for deeps and being a lefty my choices are a bit limited. I have a Lews BB2 Pro with BPS PQ 4.7:1 gearing for the 20+ foot range but don't fish that much. If they are that deep I just use big worms on a football jig or drop shot..

e_bassfisher
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by e_bassfisher » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:51 am

4.9:1 daiwa steez :whistle:

Somerdink
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Somerdink » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:03 pm

I like the shimano chronarch 201 E5 great deep crank reel.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:23 am

Somerdink wrote:I like the shimano chronarch 201 E5 great deep crank reel.
I bought that reel when it first came out.. I sold it almost immediately.. maybe should give it another try..
I love the E50's so I don't know why i didnt like the 200 frame

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:03 am

From low to high resistance i would go from the Ringa SSS, to J-Dream and finally a Z2020H.

oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by oops » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:39 pm

I'd use a Calais 100A. There have been a few sold for insanely low prices on eBay in the recent past. It is the only reel I own that I don't think could be easily replaced in my arsenal. For me, it feels truly perfect for working both lighter and heavier baits at a slow/comfortable pace in addition to being very smooth and feeling rock solid. The reel's only weakness in my eyes is that it's only available in a low gear ratio, which in this case is obviously not a problem.

Never thrown a 200E5 but the one 200E7 I own does not feel nearly as refined or solid as the Calais 100A.

I've also never thrown a 100 TEGT but I found the 200 TEGT way too big for my small hands, definitely would not have wanted to be out on the water cranking with that thing in my mitts all day. The 100 TEGT or one of the new CQs would probably feel much better, I imagine.

jbabin193
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jbabin193 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:32 pm

I just went on a search for a good deep cranking reel and for now, I've found that reel... and it can be had for a great price while they are clearing them out.

The daiwa zillion tw 100P (ZLNTW100P). This reel is is strong at 5.5:1 ratio but pulls in ~25 in per turn. That matches the specs KVD uses on the quantum. One thing i've found in my search is most will say I want a low gear ratio reel but don't pay attention to the in per turn stats. This is where this reel shines. It's very powerfull so it won't wear you out, but it has similar retrieve specs to most 6.4:1 reels. I was able to burn a spinnerbait on the surface with this reel with little extra effort.

I haven't tested the reel outside of my pond over the weekend, but so far I am very pleased. I threw 5xd, chatterbait, squarebill, spinnerbait, and a lunker plunker with it so far just to test it out. It casts very far, easy to adjust, and is predictable after setting it. It also has good line capacity which is important. I've spooled it with 15# Invisix

Interesting note so you don't think i'm a fan boy.... this is actually my first daiwa reel purchased in my life (40yrs old) hahaha... the rest of my reels are shimano.

Before this I was using a Chronarch E6... no comparison, the ZLN smokes it for this application because of the power.