New Finesse flipping jigs

Can't find what you're looking for in a catalog or in the store shelves? Ever think about just making it yourself? Come share your inspirations and creations with fellow tinkerers in TackleTour's Garage Baits forum!
smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

New Finesse flipping jigs

Post by smalljaw » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:52 am

I needed a finesse jig for flipping and so I was messing with different weights and head styles and this is what I've come up with. I us a 3/16oz with a 3/0 Owner 5313 short shank hook and a small 1/16" diameter weed guard for skipping boat docks in clear shallow water and for sparse shore line cover, the smaller compact size is nice in summer and especially when the water is clear. I also made them in 1/4oz and 3/8oz with a 3/0 Owner 5304 deep throat hook and a 3/0 Mustad 32786, all work well but the Mustad has a slightly shorter shank. The first pic is the jig profile, it is the 1/4oz with 3/0 5304 and the wire keeper I added, the second picture is the 3/16oz with 3/0 5313 jig hook with a small skinny chunk trailer.

Farnorth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: New Finesse flipping jigs

Post by Farnorth » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:51 am

Looks really good!

I am thinking of making something similar for myself as I can't find commercially made ones that hit all the points on my wish list. A couple of questions. Do you find that your skirting gets pulled back with the ball collar rather than a ring one? It looks like you are hand tying them rather than using bands, do you use an adhesive at all?

Thanks!

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:03 pm

Farnorth wrote:Looks really good!

I am thinking of making something similar for myself as I can't find commercially made ones that hit all the points on my wish list. A couple of questions. Do you find that your skirting gets pulled back with the ball collar rather than a ring one? It looks like you are hand tying them rather than using bands, do you use an adhesive at all?

Thanks!
Thank you, and yes, I tie all my jigs, some with wire but most with thread and I use a brush on super glue, Loctite to be exact, to seal the thread. I use regular head cement on my hair jigs but when I use it on silicone or rubber skirting, if any gets on the strands it develops a white residue that I don't like so I experimented with some super glues and found the Loctite brush on super glue not only holds well but is thin enough that it penetrates the threads which is what I want. I know where you can get a custom mold done to your specs but unless you have done the cad work yourself it will end costing a lot, my custom molds cost like $140 to cut, it is the cad work of getting the sizes with the right shape that cost the money, figue $700 to $2000 depending on how intricate and how much time it takes to do, a clay mold will make it easier than a drawing.

Farnorth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Farnorth » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:48 pm

Thanks. I will likely just try to modify a stock Mold with my drill press/dremel to start as the lures would just be for personal use. A $50.00 mistake wouldnt be the worst thing ever.

cure-hb
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by cure-hb » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:22 am

nice job!

frankdi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by frankdi » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:02 pm

Great work. Looks very professional.