Which of these reels would you use for BFS?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
jtgibso1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Which of these reels would you use for BFS?

Post by jtgibso1 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:31 pm

I have a few reels that could pull the BFS duty and am wondering what your thoughts would be for which you'd use and maybe why... Rod i'm using is a major craft corzza 6'7" L BFS likely using 6lb Silver Thread AN40. Will be tossing smaller cranks, jerkbaits, ned rigs, flick shake worms.

Aldebaran 51HG (stock except for an avail 90mm handle)
Curado 51e (supertuned, hedgehog BFS bearings, yumeya bfs mg spool, 90mm hawgtech handle)
Aldebaran MG7 (stock except for a 90mm hawgtech handle)

I could swap the spool and bearings out from the curado to the alde mg7 since those would all be interchangeable if that sways the decision for anyone!

Thanks for any input you've got!

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Which of these reels would you use for BFS?

Post by LowRange » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:19 am

The correct answer is Scorpion 1001 XT with gold colored accents because it'll look good as hell on that corzza. Out of the 3, if these were my reels, I'd swap the BFS parts from the Curado 51e into the Aldebaran MG7 because I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if put I a green reel on burgundy rod. You are not me, so just stick the Curado 51e on there.

jtgibso1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jtgibso1 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:31 am

LowRange wrote:The correct answer is Scorpion 1001 XT with gold colored accents because it'll look good as hell on that corzza. Out of the 3, if these were my reels, I'd swap the BFS parts from the Curado 51e into the Aldebaran MG7 because I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if put I a green reel on burgundy rod. You are not me, so just stick the Curado 51e on there.
hahaha i know a couple folks like yourself! i opt for function over form (i know TT blasphemy) but i can lay my head down at night just fine even with those colors clashing!

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:20 am

Curado, then aldebaran 51

jtgibso1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jtgibso1 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:53 am

Bootytrain wrote:Curado, then aldebaran 51
thanks! the curado is currently set up for the BFS duty. i haven't even made a cast yet with the alde 51 so i wasn't sure if it would blow me away or not. the curado works very well, just didn't know which route others might go...

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:58 am

Of those reels I only have the Curado 51E. Although tuned and with upgraded bearings it isn't tricked out as much as yours. Personally I wouldn't pick any of the three. I'd grab a Daiwa first. I know many love the 50 size Shimanos but I have better luck with Daiwas when going with the light stuff

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:14 am

new2BC4bass wrote:Of those reels I only have the Curado 51E. Although tuned and with upgraded bearings it isn't tricked out as much as yours. Personally I wouldn't pick any of the three. I'd grab a Daiwa first. I know many love the 50 size Shimanos but I have better luck with Daiwas when going with the light stuff
I like magnetic brakes for the light stuff. I have used the SS AIR, T3 AIR, Alphas AIR and the 16 Aldebaran as far as magnetic brakes go for BFS reels. The 16 Aldebaran is the best for me. The clicking drag and tiny size is nice. I have two 16 Aldebarans. Sweet reels.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:11 am

If you want to spend the money, get this spool for your Aldebaran 51. I find mag brakes are too finicky especially when you are trying to dial it down to achieve max distance with lighter lures. I can use this heavier Yumeya spool (9.2 grams) and pick up an easy 10+ ft because with 2 gram lures because I can really put some oomph into a cast and the progressive nature of the centrifugal brakes controls the backlashes far better than my mag brake BFS reels on hard casts for distance.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:21 am

Bootytrain wrote:If you want to spend the money, get this spool for your Aldebaran 51. I find mag brakes are too finicky especially when you are trying to dial it down to achieve max distance with lighter lures. I can use this heavier Yumeya spool (9.2 grams) and pick up an easy 10+ ft because with 2 gram lures because I can really put some oomph into a cast and the progressive nature of the centrifugal brakes controls the backlashes far better than my mag brake BFS reels on hard casts for distance.
I've used the KTF spool for that reel. Nice setup. True about the oomph in the cast. However, mags really shine with a smooth, gentle stroke. Having a rod that loads during the cast really helps as well.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:28 am

ccass wrote:
Bootytrain wrote:If you want to spend the money, get this spool for your Aldebaran 51. I find mag brakes are too finicky especially when you are trying to dial it down to achieve max distance with lighter lures. I can use this heavier Yumeya spool (9.2 grams) and pick up an easy 10+ ft because with 2 gram lures because I can really put some oomph into a cast and the progressive nature of the centrifugal brakes controls the backlashes far better than my mag brake BFS reels on hard casts for distance.
I've used the KTF spool for that reel. Nice setup. True about the oomph in the cast. However, mags really shine with a smooth, gentle stroke. Having a rod that loads during the cast really helps as well.
I used it on the Fine tail trout rod, distances were vs the 16 BFS XG. that extra oomph that gave me the extra distance would have backlashed my XG and especially my Revos. I said in another thread, if Shimano can shave off a gram from the brake assembly this spool would have been unreal.
Last edited by Bootytrain on Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:35 am

[/quote] I used it on the Fine tail trout rod, distances were vs the 16 BFS XG. that extra oomph that gave me the extra distance would have backlashed my XG and especially my Revos. I said in another thread, if Shimano can shave off an ounce from the brake assembly this spool would have been unreal.[/quote]

There is a new brake assembly for the 15 Aldebaran from KTF.
http://www.karil.co.jp/online_shop/sys/ ... 15AD-BUSET

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:59 am

I would swap that spool & bearings over to the aldebaran. There much nicer reels then curado.

In terms of braking, mag is so much smoother, no noise, and throws light baits just as well as centrifugal. Zpi 732 aldebaran, zpride, or bfc revos will just about smoke anything in the bfs world. SS air/alphas air are right up there as well.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:22 am

ccass wrote:
I used it on the Fine tail trout rod, distances were vs the 16 BFS XG. that extra oomph that gave me the extra distance would have backlashed my XG and especially my Revos. I said in another thread, if Shimano can shave off an ounce from the brake assembly this spool would have been unreal.[/quote]

http://www.karil.co.jp/online_shop/sys/ ... 15AD-BUSET[/quote]
Doesn't that take away the external brake adjust? I know shimano can make the assembly lighter, there so much plastic available to remove.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:34 am

Bootytrain wrote:
ccass wrote:
I used it on the Fine tail trout rod, distances were vs the 16 BFS XG. that extra oomph that gave me the extra distance would have backlashed my XG and especially my Revos. I said in another thread, if Shimano can shave off an ounce from the brake assembly this spool would have been unreal.
I wondered that as well. I don't think it's worth all the money or hassle.

http://www.karil.co.jp/online_shop/sys/ ... 15AD-BUSET[/quote]
Doesn't that take away the external brake adjust? I know shimano can make the assembly lighter, there so much plastic available to remove.[/quote]

j2015
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by j2015 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:34 am

I really like my 15 Aldebaran, feels good in the hand, smooth, light, casts very well and is powerful.