which bearings are best?!

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
mada1594
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

which bearings are best?!

Post by mada1594 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:37 pm

I have boca bearings in a couple of my low end daiwa reels and they work awesome but I am wanting to put some upgraded bearings in my megabass reels which are: IS73, IS79, LIN black jungle, and zonda 10R please help me out I am completely lost when it comes to this stuff. I would love to kick these reels up a notch so if anyone has any helpful tips please let me know! I would really like to replace all the bearings such as side plate, spool, tension knob, handle, wormgear, and shaft. I just am lost on which brand is best boca, hedgehog, zpi, etc... I am also lost on sizes for the different bearings for all the different parts. :? :( ](*,) :doh: 8-[
gone fishin! borderline 11!

PikeRoadBassn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: which bearings are best?!

Post by PikeRoadBassn » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:45 pm

As far as spool bearings are concerned ZPI SiC and Hedgehog Air HD really tops the chart. Now as for frame bearings, a good quality ABEC 5 stainless bearing, such as those from Boca are a good choice. The Tackle Trap carries all of these.

Here is a basic run down of bearing sizes.

Handle Knobs - 4*7*2.5
Driveshaft, Upper Pinion Support, Worm Shaft - 5*8*2.5 or 5*9*3
Lower Pinion Support - 8*12*3.5
Handle Support - 8*12*2.5

If you have any more questions feel free to PM me and I will help you in any way.

jtgibso1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jtgibso1 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:12 am

only used boca and hedgehog for aftermarket bearings.... the boca were so loud that i removed them, the HH are phenomenal bearings. i have both the bfs and the air bearings.

mada1594
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mada1594 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:40 am

mada1594 wrote:I have boca bearings in a couple of my low end daiwa reels and they work awesome but I am wanting to put some upgraded bearings in my megabass reels which are: IS73, IS79, LIN black jungle, and zonda 10R please help me out I am completely lost when it comes to this stuff. I would love to kick these reels up a notch so if anyone has any helpful tips please let me know! I would really like to replace all the bearings such as side plate, spool, tension knob, handle, wormgear, and shaft. I just am lost on which brand is best boca, hedgehog, zpi, etc... I am also lost on sizes for the different bearings for all the different parts. :? :( ](*,) :doh: 8-[
great! thank you for the help! that info is very helpful :D

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:35 pm

I feel that any of the listed companies zipi HH or boca are good. Get abec 5 or above and your good. IMO zipi are the "best" but boca is the easiest to get have a helpful website and I like there oil a lot.

PikeRoadBassn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PikeRoadBassn » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:15 pm

angry john wrote:I feel that any of the listed companies zipi HH or boca are good. Get abec 5 or above and your good. IMO zipi are the "best" but boca is the easiest to get have a helpful website and I like there oil a lot.

ZPI bearings can now be easily obtained through The Tackle Trap.

http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... _2352_2349

mada1594
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mada1594 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:11 am

I emailed boca to see if they could tell me what bearings I need for all my reels they said the only megabass they have in their list is the zonda 68 but sent me a printout template to measure the bearings in the other reels which kind of sucks bc I don't wanna have to take my reels all the way down and measure all the bearings then put them back together order the bearings then take them apart again for the install lol maybe im just lazy idk :lol: im wondering if their steez complete set would work for the IS73 and IS79 does anyone know?

Frosty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Frosty » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:10 pm

First thing having owned an IS 71 I would say not to waste money on a bearing upgrade, they are very smooth and refined in that reel. If however, you feel the need to tinker, it goes HH, zpi, then everything else from my experience. I've tried Boca's in a Steez before and actually lost distance.

PikeRoadBassn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PikeRoadBassn » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:11 pm

mada1594 wrote:I emailed boca to see if they could tell me what bearings I need for all my reels they said the only megabass they have in their list is the zonda 68 but sent me a printout template to measure the bearings in the other reels which kind of sucks bc I don't wanna have to take my reels all the way down and measure all the bearings then put them back together order the bearings then take them apart again for the install lol maybe im just lazy idk :lol: im wondering if their steez complete set would work for the IS73 and IS79 does anyone know?
I listed the sizes above but I will break it down further for you.

The IS73 and IS79 use the following bearings in the corresponding locations

Lower Pinion Support - 8x12x3.5
Drive Shaft - 5x8x2.5
Upper Pinion Support - 5x8x2.5
Worm Shaft - 5x8x2.5
Handle Support Bearing - 8x12x2.5
Handle Knob Bearings - 4x7x2.5
Spool Shaft Bearing - 5x11x4
Palm Plate Bearing - 3x10x4

mada1594
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mada1594 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:07 am

PikeRoadBassn wrote:
mada1594 wrote:I emailed boca to see if they could tell me what bearings I need for all my reels they said the only megabass they have in their list is the zonda 68 but sent me a printout template to measure the bearings in the other reels which kind of sucks bc I don't wanna have to take my reels all the way down and measure all the bearings then put them back together order the bearings then take them apart again for the install lol maybe im just lazy idk :lol: im wondering if their steez complete set would work for the IS73 and IS79 does anyone know?

Drive Shaft - 5x8x2.5
Worm Shaft - 5x8x2.5
wow thank you! that helps me a ton! still new to the whole reel upgrading and such so this helps a lot :D

mada1594
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mada1594 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:37 am

PikeRoadBassn wrote:

Drive Shaft - 5x8x2.5
Worm Shaft - 5x8x2.5
just ordered air hd spool and palm plate bearings and then ordered everything else from boca bearings for all 3 of my reels cost adds up real quick lol :shock:

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:06 am

Hey pike, can you give me a short synopses on the ZPI bearings?
With hedgehog, they break their different types of bearing down into what weight range & distances they excel at, but I'm a little lost on the ZPI's.

PikeRoadBassn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PikeRoadBassn » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:25 am

spookybaits wrote:Hey pike, can you give me a short synopses on the ZPI bearings?
With hedgehog, they break their different types of bearing down into what weight range & distances they excel at, but I'm a little lost on the ZPI's.

ZPI doesn't really supply a weight range with their bearings. I can tell you from personal experience I have thrown weightless flukes on a 3/0 hook and achieved more than satisfactory distance, and thrown up to 1 1/4 spinnerbaits with out any issue. They seem to have a VERY wide application range.

Frosty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Frosty » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:10 am

spookybaits wrote:Hey pike, can you give me a short synopses on the ZPI bearings?
Plat use to carry their BFS bearings, which similar to hedgehog would be for under 3/8 oz mainly. I had their ceramics I purchased from Japan Tackle in a Scorpion 1001xt, and they definitely improved distance, so I would assume the BFS ones are even better for light baits. They also were less noisy than BOCA ceramics

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:56 pm

Right on, thanks guys.
Looking at their page, I see they have a finesse concept(with 6 balls) & the Bousei(8 balls).
I'm guessing the bousei are the 'all purpose' model.

Would be interesting to see how they compare to the hedgehog ZR. Those bearings are rocket launchers.