Megabass XX Levante vs. Dobyns 806 SB

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Megabass XX Levante vs. Dobyns 806 SB

Post by Randingo » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:12 am

Considering my next swim bait rod, and am looking for something primarily for treble hooks with glide baits, etc. although it may see a Magdraft or similar until I get a stick dedicated to Hudds, etc. The 806 has the rep of being one of the best rods available for big baits with trebles. My problem is I'll have no chance to hold it before purchasing--the only local Dobyns dealer only carries the lower end rods. I have held the XX Leviathan, and it's really light in hand, which is extremely appealing. The only Dobyns swimbait rod I've used at all is the 795ML, which is great for A-rigs, but didn't strike me as being nearly as crisp as the XX Leviathan, but that impression is based primarily on holding the Megabass in the store as opposed to spending a day fishing the Dobyns 795. Anyway, can anyone comment on the relative merits of the XX Leviathan and the Dobyns 806 for larger treble hooked swimbaits?

Thanks in advance.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Megabass XX Levante vs. Dobyns 806 SB

Post by Cristo » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:26 am

Both are really good rods honestly you really couldn't go wrong with either or. I think a lot of people would agree that Dobyns set the bar with they're swimbait rods and are still very much coveted. Megabass Leviathan I like because you can break it down as it has an offset handle and it makes it more portable plus the build is sexier. Both have double footed guides and are both versatile but i would hands down give the edge to MB XX leviathan as it can handle lighter weights.

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:18 am

Cristo wrote:Both have double footed guides and are both versatile but i would hands down give the edge to MB XX leviathan as it can handle lighter weights.
Thanks for the feedback. I also notice that the Leviathan is rated for heavier baits as well. Any comment on whether that rating (10 oz) is accurate?

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:34 am

If it's in your price range, I'd take a hard look at the 13 Muse black swimbait rods.

(The one caveat I can find- They have a true fast action, so with trebles you'd do good to use mono. I've tailored my hook sets to faster action rods once I switched to graphite rods for crankbaits, so I'm good with the fast action, but for people used to slower action swimbait rods you'll have to adjust accordingly. )

Just thought I'd throw that out there as another reasonably priced swimbait rod to consider. It's likely gonna be my next swimbait rod purchase.

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:49 am

Thanks for the recommendation, spooky. I'll see if I can check one out.

paulito
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by paulito » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:32 pm

I have the leviathan. It is sensitive as to where i can feel every movement of my glide baits and know when a bass hits it ;). It's actually rated up to 8oz. Wouldnt get much load from a 6"in magdraft but would get slightly w the larger baits. It can throw the 2oz glidebaits like gancraft 178, duo onimasu, megabass i-slide and also the heavier deps 250 fine! Great rod. The med fast action of the rod is plenty parabolic for treble hook baits and single hooks. The med fast action makes it more versatile imo than the 806

BadChad1983
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by BadChad1983 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:15 pm

How is the handle length on the Leviathan? Can you tuck it like a traditional rod? My only hang up on it is that I'm afraid it might be a hair too short for me to tuck. I'm 5'10 so it's not like I have freakishly long arms either.

Thanks guys!