Fluke rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Fluke rod

Post by goldrod » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:06 am

zodiak311 wrote:My ultimate rod for flukes paired with a TDZ is this. http://www.tackletour.com/reviewlamiglasexc722.html
Mine is a custom built on the same blank. I believe Dragon1 has one that he is trading on BBC. Just an awesome blank that really launches larger zoom flukes, with a small split shot in the front. I pretty much empty out most of my line on every cast, and it has the right amount of power for long distance hooksets. A very special rod in my book, wish I had more of them.
I looked for it can't even get a nibble
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Basspastor
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Basspastor » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:03 pm

I've been known to throw a Super Fluke on a St. Croix Avid 6'8" MXF and a Avid 7' MF casting rods. Of the two I prefer the 6'8" because it's a crisper blank. I love, love, love that 6'8" Avid rod. I use it for topwater, jerkbaits, and senko's as well.
Bass Pundit Blog

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:18 pm

I like something in the 6'6-6'9 medium power/fast action range. Xtra-fast may work well too?
But if you're using big 5/0 hooks, a medium-heavy power rod sets em better.
I use em on jerkbait/topwater type setups, but I know others like em on a worm rod setup. Both styles work well.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:30 am

Any updates?

Found myself looking through my tackle this weekend
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

dhottle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dhottle » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:13 pm

My favorite fluke rod is a Kistler Z bone LEXF-3MH-70 paired with a Shimano Antares DC spooled with Suffix Advance 14lb test. \:D/

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:00 pm

dhottle wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:13 pm
My favorite fluke rod is a Kistler Z bone LEXF-3MH-70 paired with a Shimano Antares DC spooled with Suffix Advance 14lb test. \:D/
I wish Kistler would come out with full handles
I’ll have to see if that ZB ever comes up for sale. I have one ZB that is pretty nice

Westcoast
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Westcoast » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:42 pm

I use an nrx 853 for flukes. Can cast them a mile and works great to set the 4/0 ewg hook I use with them.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:57 am

goldrod wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:00 pm
dhottle wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:13 pm
I wish Kistler would come out with full handles
I’ll have to see if that ZB ever comes up for sale. I have one ZB that is pretty nice
Keep your eyes peeled for an original LTA and then get the guide train replaced, you'll be very happy.

amso4
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by amso4 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:04 am

What guide train would you suggest. Model, size, layout?

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:27 pm

Anything that you can throw a weightless 5” senko on works well for me, but being a rod snob I have been throwing them on my EG Stallion GT with a Steez 105 Ltd and ZPI nrc M spool. My EG stallion black with a Steez sv with a blue emblem, or a Steez RD 6’10” shallow cover finesse with a Steez CT. The new EG Black Raven Extreme is also a great rod with a Steez CT and I think throwing flukes with it will be amazing. A rod with a nimble tip for flinging light baits but some backbone to set the EWG is where it’s at. All of these rods are probably excessive for most people’s needs but flukes and senkos are pretty boring til you get on a bite so throwing them on a top notch rod makes it much more enjoyable. Just my $.02

CodyNeely11
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by CodyNeely11 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:37 pm

I use an NRX893 currently and it does well, but I have an 852 on the way and I’ll try it as well

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:40 pm

domthewon wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:27 pm
Anything that you can throw a weightless 5” senko on works well for me, but being a rod snob I have been throwing them on my EG Stallion GT with a Steez 105 Ltd and ZPI nrc M spool. My EG stallion black with a Steez sv with a blue emblem, or a Steez RD 6’10” shallow cover finesse with a Steez CT. The new EG Black Raven Extreme is also a great rod with a Steez CT and I think throwing flukes with it will be amazing. A rod with a nimble tip for flinging light baits but some backbone to set the EWG is where it’s at. All of these rods are probably excessive for most people’s needs but flukes and senkos are pretty boring til you get on a bite so throwing them on a top notch rod makes it much more enjoyable. Just my $.02

Man. I’d love to try that EGBR. Do you personally prefer it over the Racing Design?
Excessive? That’s subjective
The TT way? Most definitely

If nothing else inspiring.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:42 pm

goldrod wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:40 pm
domthewon wrote:

Man. I’d love to try that EGBR. Do you personally prefer it over the Racing Design?

The Black Raven Extreme is still new to me, but is pretty phenomenal so far. The Racing Design has 4” on it, both have excellent balance but the B.R.E. has the edge and balances as good as it gets. I also have the 6’4” RD Super Metal Top and the Evergreen still balances better with the same reel although both RD’s weigh a bit less. Sensitivity is subjective but I feel the B.R.E. has the slight edge there also. Both Performance wise casting pitching and skipping and hookup ratio both are great. Also both have that cast ability and backbone that make them awesome for semi finesse around cover but also great with other random techniques. The B.R.E can handle a little more weight, but I don’t max any of my rods out anyways. I use my rods in their sweet spot. I use both interchangeably or one of the other depending on what bite the fish are on.

I agree might not be considered excessive, but definitely the TT way!

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:11 pm

domthewon wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:42 pm
goldrod wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:40 pm
domthewon wrote:

The Black Raven Extreme is still new to me, but is pretty phenomenal so far. The Racing Design has 4” on it, both have excellent balance but the B.R.E. has the edge and balances as good as it gets. I also have the 6’4” RD Super Metal Top and the Evergreen still balances better with the same reel although both RD’s weigh a bit less. Sensitivity is subjective but I feel the B.R.E. has the slight edge there also. Both Performance wise casting pitching and skipping and hookup ratio both are great. Also both have that cast ability and backbone that make them awesome for semi finesse around cover but also great with other random techniques. The B.R.E can handle a little more weight, but I don’t max any of my rods out anyways. I use my rods in their sweet spot. I use both interchangeably or one of the other depending on what bite the fish are on.

I agree might not be considered excessive, but definitely the TT way!
Thanks for the info. Certainly inspires me to try new things.. Been very busy lately but your post go me looking at some of the rods you mentioned and reading about them. Maybe its me but seems like there were more post made Pre-Covid than there are nowadays on here. I guess more people are out fishing but there is nothing like reading about a rod and technique that interest you and the author doesnt start and finish the review with the words Game Changer.

Thanks again man.
Evergreen Rods are just in a different league at least the ones I've used. ( Thanks Rick!)

ChubbyGoby28
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ChubbyGoby28 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:50 pm

Glad to see someone like me has been looking for an awesome rod for flukes and moving plastics weighted or unwaited. I have done a successful search and foubd many that i hope will help you find what your looking for in a fluke rod.

I normally fish a large portion of areas so long distance casting is necessary. I needed a nice tip like on a jetkbait rod for working and casting the fluke. Lastly i needed a rod with power to hook fish far away and move them from obstructions.

So my favorite fluke rods are 7'3" to 7'5" with fast tip, and medium heavy power.

In order of favoritism

1. 13 fishing Fuse 7'4" Medium Heavy, extra fast tip. This rod loads up 4 and 5 inch weightless flukes perfectly for long distance or short accurate casts. The tip on this rod is the perfect bend for twitching and making the fluke dance all over! The medium heavy back bone helps me set the hook on fish far away from the boat and can muscle fish away from snags! This stronger rod is great for heavy weighted flukes and double fluke rigs. This rod excels for having what i think are the best actions, power, and castability.

2. Poison Adrena 7'3" MH cast rod. This rod is also an exceptional choice for flukes. It has perfect actions and power but it shines for being as lightweight as a rod can be for its specs. Being lightweight is key if your throwing and working flukes all day. With the newer shimano rod blank wrap this is the most accurate 7'3" rod I have found. So lightweight and accuracy is this rod's best qualities!

3. G. Loomis NRX 893C. The NRX is no doubt better suited for bottom contact methods but this long, lightweight, and extra fast action has been a great fluke rod for me. I think its action gives you a sharp crisp twitch action that gets that fluke moving side to side. Its light to use with minimal fatigue. If your fishing weighted flukes or flukes on jig heads, sensitivity is needed and this rod will do it for you!

I also recommend a long distance casting reel and a 7+ gear ratio. I use metaniums on NRX fluke for best all around performance, aldebaran hg on the poison adrena for ultimate lightweight combo. Lastly I put a 13 Z slide casting reel on the 13 Fuse, there is no other reel on the market that can outcast this 13 z slide and thats what I need to fish flukes!