Mars Kayu and Somasi Rods

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
DanTheFireman
Angler
Angler

Mars Kayu and Somasi Rods

Post by DanTheFireman » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:30 am

I've been debating ordering a few of the new Keebow rods, the heavier Mars Kayu for a TranX 400 and the Mars Somasi just because they get $130 shipping for 1 to 4 rods. Yeah, too much time spent watching Gong Lei hefting 12 pounders into a dugout. The Kayu is spiral wrapped and I really like the one offshore spiral wrap I have. The other alternative is to have something done custom by Connley ten minutes away; less $ but the blank wouldn't be as badass. I'm thinking a heavy low profile bait casting outfit for snook, tarpon, big jacks etc. in South Florida. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
fish for brains

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Mars Kayu and Somasi Rods

Post by reason162 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:38 pm

DanTheFireman wrote:I've been debating ordering a few of the new Keebow rods, the heavier Mars Kayu for a TranX 400 and the Mars Somasi just because they get $130 shipping for 1 to 4 rods. Yeah, too much time spent watching Gong Lei hefting 12 pounders into a dugout. The Kayu is spiral wrapped and I really like the one offshore spiral wrap I have. The other alternative is to have something done custom by Connley ten minutes away; less $ but the blank wouldn't be as badass. I'm thinking a heavy low profile bait casting outfit for snook, tarpon, big jacks etc. in South Florida. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I have no info to offer, but I selfishly urge you to buy these 2 rods and post a detailed review here. I've thought about the lighter Mars for a Tranx 300, and the gong lei videos alone is *almost* enough to sway me.

DanTheFireman
Angler
Angler

Post by DanTheFireman » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:42 pm

Ahhh, the voice of reason. I hadn't planned on a 300 size TranX but that rod would be kinda lonely just sitting there naked.
There's also no question that these rods hold their value better than a custom, not that any self respecting hoarder would let go of one.
fish for brains

robsone79
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by robsone79 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:07 pm

Gong Lei, love that vid where he's chucking that topwater bait into all those trees sticking out of the water. how does he NOT get bit on every cast.
And yes put a review, please. I too have eyeballed these rods

DanTheFireman
Angler
Angler

Post by DanTheFireman » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:05 am

The newest video with him getting big peacock bass set the hook on me, having done Brazil twice last year and losing a few big fish in the sticks. I contacted them to see if I could get the Somasi, the lighter rod spiral wrapped.
fish for brains

DanTheFireman
Angler
Angler

Post by DanTheFireman » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:08 pm

reason162 wrote:
DanTheFireman wrote:I've been debating ordering a few of the new Keebow rods, the heavier Mars Kayu for a TranX 400 and the Mars Somasi just because they get $130 shipping for 1 to 4 rods. Yeah, too much time spent watching Gong Lei hefting 12 pounders into a dugout. The Kayu is spiral wrapped and I really like the one offshore spiral wrap I have. The other alternative is to have something done custom by Connley ten minutes away; less $ but the blank wouldn't be as badass. I'm thinking a heavy low profile bait casting outfit for snook, tarpon, big jacks etc. in South Florida. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I have no info to offer, but I selfishly urge you to buy these 2 rods and post a detailed review here. I've thought about the lighter Mars for a Tranx 300, and the gong lei videos alone is *almost* enough to sway me.
The new Evergreen Combats for look hard to pass up. Tackle Warehouse has them coming for 200 bucks shipped. I'm not digging the camo grips but nothing a little shoe polish or permanent marker couldn't fix.
fish for brains

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:00 am

Thank you for posting on this. I have not seen these vids and have been thoroughly enjoying them. I'd like to learn more about his tackle in general down to the treble hooks he's using. The way he fights, I was in suspense every time thinking a hook would straighten out or something go wrong. But he tires those monsters out 9/10 times. I'd love to get some specs and more detailed pictures of the rods. The website that pops up with a quick google search (the one that says they're still working on a website) offers little detail. From the vids, the power is undeniable, and seem quite versatile. If you can get your hands on these, please post pics in addition to a review. Also, please post about how the purchasing/shipping experience goes. They seem to mention that some have already been waiting for a while on their first order. I agree that simply watching the vids of Gong Lei should sell these rods.

DanTheFireman
Angler
Angler

Post by DanTheFireman » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:34 pm

How about that underhand cast. i try and try (not giving up yet) but feel like a lobster trying to use chopsticks.
fish for brains

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:42 am

His casting is art. There's no video magic there either. He's rapid firing for 9-12 minutes at a time and it's all on the money. Funny thing is it inspired me to go froggin yesterday even though I'd be throwing something else right now to compare technique so to speak. Ha. Got to work on my action I realized after watching the master at work. Has to be that rod he's using, right?

DanTheFireman
Angler
Angler

Post by DanTheFireman » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:58 pm

He uses different rods in different videos. There's one "Gong Lei Casting In The Woods" that is a great tutorial. Just watch a few times and you'll be casting like that... yeah, sure.
I haven't heard back from them on those rods, in the meantime just ordered a M 7'1" and a H 7'11" Evergreen because God knows you can never have too many. My wife, that's another story.
fish for brains