Ned Rig on Casting Gear

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
MarcoSharco1
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Ned Rig on Casting Gear

Post by MarcoSharco1 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:53 am

Hi. Love throwing the Ned rig and other small finesse offeringings from 1/8 of an ounce up to about 1/4. But I need a baitcaster. Could anyone suggest a reel. Will be used on a custom trout baitcast rod rated from 1/16-1/4 15 or 20 pound 8 strand j braid. Looking to spend $100-180 reel only

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Ned Rig on Casting Gear

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:47 am

An Alphas SV or SV105 could do the trick and can be found within your price range. You could also put a shallow spool in a reel you own, given there is an option for it. Take a look at this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=67159&sid=3509c974 ... 37a865e3e9

A good option is to get the Tatula CT and get one of the spools mention in the thread link above. Comes to about 150 depending on where you source the reel. You would have 2 spools for the reel as well just in case you want to use the reel for other techniques as well.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:57 am

Besides BFS reel you need a light line and a BFS rod.
For this rig I use Poison Glorious Quick Response, 6lb Sunline Sniper and Steez Limited with air bearings.
Lighter the line you use easier I noticed to cast such small lures.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:12 am

I've used a number of baitcast combos to throw the ned rig. My favorite is a DIY spool in a Daiwa mounted to a Volkey 68L but I can cast all the line off a DIY if I throw an 1/8 oz head and worm. I'm building a Silver Mica pixzilla with Airy Red spool for 68L right now to get a bit more line capacity for #20 braid. You don't have to spend alot of money on ned rig capable reel. The Casitas MGL and Haibo smart cast the ned really well. A DIY in a Tat CT is the best budget option imo. The Kuying leadership 7'2'' 2 piece would be the best value ned rig rod too.

MarcoSharco1
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by MarcoSharco1 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:24 am

Thank you for all your help. I am definitely ruling out casitas as that was what I was using and the anti reverse broke on a 4 pounder. Alphas an ssv are also great choices. And if I were to build a tatula spool, would I need new bearings? And I just received the rod it has an extremely soft fast tip and quite a bit of backbone

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:12 am

I would upgrade the Tatula bearings to a Hedgehog bfs air bearing if I was running a DIY spool in one but you don't have to.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:47 am

MarcoSharco1 wrote:Thank you for all your help. I am definitely ruling out casitas as that was what I was using and the anti reverse broke on a 4 pounder. Alphas an ssv are also great choices. And if I were to build a tatula spool, would I need new bearings? And I just received the rod it has an extremely soft fast tip and quite a bit of backbone
The SS SV spool brakes too strongly to be anu use for the Ned rig. If you get an SS SV you'll have to opt for another finesse 103 spool with a less agressive braking profile. I've got mine on a Volkey 65UL with a black DIY in it running #10 green nanofil. Good platform to mod and play with but it is not impressive out of the box.

nctrucker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by nctrucker » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:12 am

what do you gurus think about a stock calcutta 100 for throwing ned rigs? would i need a shallow/v spool?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:47 am

I would think you would need a finesse spool to cast 1/8 to 1/4 oz well.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:24 pm

Hands down for me, considering your price range, either an Airy Red Pixilla with stock spool, or any Pixy variant with a DIY spool. There are some great deals on Pixy's all over the internet right now.

To increase line capacity, I use sinking 14b braid http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/YGK_G-So ... KGSSB.html with a 6b fluorocarbon leader. I like my line bright, so I can see it since it is such a small diameter.
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:09 am

LowRange wrote:
MarcoSharco1 wrote:Thank you for all your help. I am definitely ruling out casitas as that was what I was using and the anti reverse broke on a 4 pounder. Alphas an ssv are also great choices. And if I were to build a tatula spool, would I need new bearings? And I just received the rod it has an extremely soft fast tip and quite a bit of backbone
The SS SV spool brakes too strongly to be anu use for the Ned rig. If you get an SS SV you'll have to opt for another finesse 103 spool with a less agressive braking profile. I've got mine on a Volkey 65UL with a black DIY in it running #10 green nanofil. Good platform to mod and play with but it is not impressive out of the box.
I guess I just got lucky with mine. I have it mounted on an MS-X 65ML and spooled with 15# braid and i can cast and pitch a ned rig like its nothing and put it wherever i want to.
This is the way.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:13 am

For me the Ned rig is a distance orientated technique where I fan cast and cover water swiming the bait. My SS SV didn't cast the Ned nearly as far as my Alphas SV until I swapped in the DIY spool. If your idea of a Ned rig is to fish it like a shakey head on the bottom and cast to targets then the SS SV spool will excell in that application.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:58 am

I would do Td z 105 or 103 they both cast light lures better than my sv105. A medium action rod should serve you well

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Tue May 02, 2017 12:23 pm

my Expada 6'3" med/fast, 1/8-5/8oz coupled with a '12 aldebaran BFS xg with 6lb p line floroclear has been pretty dope! casts the 1/6oz mushroom head and TRD like a dream!

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Tue May 02, 2017 12:28 pm

Scorpion 70 on sale at Plat right now for 143 I think. That or Curado 70 will easily sling a ned rig a long ways.